M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm good with that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted By: Ringman
The above does not leave room for one kind to become some other kind.
Yes it does. Every specimen of a species produces after its kind. Speciation is a gradual process, such that a change sufficient to classify one as belonging to a distinct species requires a separation of many thousands of generations, perhaps millions. So while each specimen always produces a member of its own species, one can look back over the expanses of time and classify as two distinct species a distant ancestor and his distant descendant. No violence, therefore, is done to the verse you cite.

God didn't use the man made word of species. He said "kind". You are calling God a liar and saying there is no such thing and everything is related.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The adult caenorhabditis elegans (seen above) possesses only about a thousand somatic cells. You, Ringman, once possessed even fewer, i.e., when you were a zygote.

Where are all the others needed to support your theory? You forgot the zygote had the program for trillions, or you conveniently forgot that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're a wee-bit confused about who's condemning who. Look in the mirror.

"But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

What sort of words do they mean?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Where are all the others needed to support your theory? You forgot the zygote had the program for trillions, or you conveniently forgot that.

Here ya go; slime molds, where a bunch of free living, dividing cells come together to form what is effectively a multicellular organism...

http://lcmrschooldistrict.com/roth/PowerPoint_Lectures/chapter21/videos_animations/slime_mold.html

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When two different subspecies lines of a species (typically separated by geographic isolation) can no longer reliably interbreed to produce fertile offspring

More like when a fertile hybrid between two species (there are lots and lots of different kinds of fertile hybrids) cannot survive as well as either parent and thus does not survive to reproduce or else reproduces at a lower rate such that hybrid offpring eventually disappear from the population.

Happens all the time with bird populations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Neither can the presence of an omnipotent god be proven...

Only to the willfully blind. Even Crick and Watson, the discoverers of DNA, said the molecule is miraculous. But instead of glorifying God as creator they coined the term "panspermia" and gave credit to that which is imaginary: Spacemen rather than the Infinite Intelligent Energy; the God of the Bible.

That's the definition of religion

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Interesting. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are calling God a liar.

Good grief...!

Ringman, you are NOT drawing anyone here closer to the Good News...you're just pushing them further away from it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If people don't see things the same way you do, you accuse them
of "calling God a liar."

That's ridiculous...!

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
God didn't use the man made word of species. He said "kind". You are calling God a liar and saying there is no such thing and everything is related.

Species is, indeed, an abstract manmade concept we use for our own convenience. I am curious about the "kind" concept.

At what level of differences are two creatures not of the same kind?

Old school taxonomists categorize organisms into different groups such as Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, species, and a whole bunch of super and sub categories. More recent taxonomists have stirred things up a bit and have some different categories. Where does "kind" relate to these categories?

Are all fish of the same kind? Are bony fish of a different kind than boneless fish? Are dogs and cats the same kind? Are lions and tigers the same kind?

What do you think the meaning of "kind" is, and how different do different organisms have to be to be of different "kinds?"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers

If people don't see things the same way you do, you accuse them
of "calling God a liar."

That's ridiculous...!

grin I wonder if this guy could be saved???? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Allen_Davis

Just accept Jesus Christ as your savior & all your sins are forgiven??? I'm not believing that kind of schitt for a second and if heaven is gonna be full of spirits like him, I'll pass...

What about Hitler, Stalin & Pol Pot??? Every one of them had exposure to Christianity...IIRC, Hitler had even considered becoming a priest when he was a child. Accept Christ & all is forgiven??? Give me a friggin break.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Christianity was never meant to be a 'religion'...but a relationship, one on one, with a loving God who created us...and sent His son to reveal just how much He loves us.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could hang with that...except if god is so omnipotent & loving, why doesn't he step in & smite A bunch of motherbleepers that desperately need smiting? I was a "devout christian" for about the first 20 years of my life...all my close friends still are. They also understand the reasons for my agnostic belief in any god/gods or lack thereof. I actually envy those of you who can maintain your belief in a hereafter...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Presumably, if we are to accept the premises of the SETI people, the recipients of the message would show up on our doorstep and say hi.

I think they will either enslave our relatively dumb population or just give us their technology.

The best thing about SETI, like the space program is that it drives technology forward.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted By: Ringman
The above does not leave room for one kind to become some other kind.
Yes it does. Every specimen of a species produces after its kind. Speciation is a gradual process, such that a change sufficient to classify one as belonging to a distinct species requires a separation of many thousands of generations, perhaps millions. So while each specimen always produces a member of its own species, one can look back over the expanses of time and classify as two distinct species a distant ancestor and his distant descendant. No violence, therefore, is done to the verse you cite.

Kind, in that context, is synonymous with species. The Old Testament wasn't written in English. Specimens (individuals) of each species (kind) always produce offspring of the same species (kind). No violence is done to the scriptures by scientific knowledge.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The adult caenorhabditis elegans (seen above) possesses only about a thousand somatic cells. You, Ringman, once possessed even fewer, i.e., when you were a zygote.

Now you're playing games with words. You required an example of a thousand-cell species. I provided one. A second example was also offered, i.e., you when you were a zygote. You didn't limit your requirement to adults. Zygotes are specimens of animals with very few somatic cells. You then, after the fact, introduced the new requirement of adulthood. Still, that leaves the example I provided of the thousand-cell adult species. You keep moving the goalpost.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Notropis
There are way too many exceptions to that to rely on that as a definition.
I think that's a mistake on the part of zoologists. Dingos, wolves, and domestic dogs, for example, are classified as three distinct species, when they should be classified as three subspecies of the same species, since hybridization is common between them, thus reproductive isolation is absent.

"Wolves, dogs, and dingoes are subspecies of Canis lupus."

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 08/21/14.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
"Wolves, dogs, and dingoes are subspecies of Canis lupus."
Dingo A Distinct Species

PS I tend to agree that the dingo, the wolf, and the domesticated dog, are subspecies of canis lupus, rather than distinct species. The fact that they can hybridize seems compelling evidence of that.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.