Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Red Green (The winter of our discount tent)

Last edited by bucktail; 08/18/14.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Atta Boy, John! Just remember, one aw sh.t wipes out all gold stars.

All in fun, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Havilah Babcock, Burton Spiller, and most certainly Corey Ford. Ed Zern for a bit of humor.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
smokepole,

If you hunt upland birds at all, you might enjoy Datus Proper's book PHEASANTS OF THE MIND.

Thanks, I did a search and came up with his titles. I will check that one out. Sounds like it's about more than just hunting, which most "poetical" hunting books seem to be.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Havilah Babcock, Burton Spiller, and most certainly Corey Ford. Ed Zern for a bit of humor.

Aahh....yes. Burton Spiller and Corey Ford were among the best!

What could beat the old F&S with Ford,Ruark,Page and AJ McClane? Nice stuff there.

A far cry from the micro-bite,techie,two paragraph, "how to" drivel that appeals so much to the attention-deficit readers of today.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As with many aspects of our society, in this case it's more about the audience than the "content providers," as they're now called by some.

I have no doubt there are writers/hunters who could be as poetical as any of the older writers, but the sad fact is that today there's almost no market for such stories. This wasn't true as recently as 25-30 years ago, but not now.

Part of the problem isn't just ADD, but the fact that the world is increasingly urban. There's less land open to hunting, especially public hunting, so hunters don't get to spend as much time in the field. This is exacerbated by the simple fact that most hunters live in cities surrounded by suburbs, so it takes even longer to get to hunting country. As a result, hunters have become more dependent on their gear than hunting skill, so tend to obsess over technology, hoping it will make everything come together in the relatively little time they have to hunt.

Which is exactly why so many of today's "hunting" magazines are more about gear than hunting techniques. During the off-season we can fool around in our man-caves with reloading, changing scopes, and tinkering with triggers. It also explains why do many rifle loonies sell one custom rifle about as soon as it's sighted-in, or even sell the parts before they're put together. They're searching for the rifle that will change their lives, when if they could actually hunt more they might even be happy with one rifle, chambered for an antique cartridge instead of the chambering of the month.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have no doubt there are writers/hunters who could be as poetical as any of the older writers, but the sad fact is that today there's almost no market for such stories.

Sad but true. My very limited experience in working with an editor to get an article published included the advice to "think USA Today" and "keep it under 3,000 words, 2,000 is better." There are still a few good reads out there though, Like Gray's Sporting Journal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, Gray's is an exception, but unfortunately isn't the kind of market that attracts many professional writers. That's not because of the content, but because Gray's doesn't run their freelance stories in any kind of predictable fashion--and like most magazines, these days, they pay on publication, not acceptance. As a result, it may be two years before somebody is paid for a story that's accepted for publication.

Of course, we could also say that professional writers might not be the best for creating Gray's-type stories. But Corey Ford, Gene Hill and many of the others mentioned made their living writing. Much of Gray's freelance content is from part-time writers who do other things for their real living, or people who have one or two good stories to tell, and that�s it. (This is aside from the columns, which are assigned and so their authors know when they�ll be paid.)

I know all this because I sold my first article to Gray�s in 1976, the year it started up, and wrote feature stories for them steadily through the mid-1990�s, when I also served as editor for a while. The other factor is that as far as I know, they�re paying the same as they did 20-some years ago, but then that�s true of a lot of hunting and shooting magazines.

In the late 1970�s and throughout the 80�s several other magazines frequently ran Gray�s-type stories, and others ran them more than occasionally, even Petersen�s Hunting, back when Craig Boddington was editor. But aside from Gray�s and some other, lower-paying magazines there just isn�t much market anymore, which is why most people who could be a Corey Ford or Gene Hill aren�t even trying to write hunting stories (as opposed to articles) anymore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently the best we can hope for in the future is poetical tweets...

"brd hntng 2day. wrm sun, brds flying, vry spirtal"

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, that is a hard way to make a living. Anyone who manages to do it has to be both prolific and very good. And if they're that good, no doubt dumb it down for the audience.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As with many aspects of our society, in this case it's more about the audience than the "content providers," as they're now called by some.

I have no doubt there are writers/hunters who could be as poetical as any of the older writers, but the sad fact is that today there's almost no market for such stories. This wasn't true as recently as 25-30 years ago, but not now.

Part of the problem isn't just ADD, but the fact that the world is increasingly urban. There's less land open to hunting, especially public hunting, so hunters don't get to spend as much time in the field. This is exacerbated by the simple fact that most hunters live in cities surrounded by suburbs, so it takes even longer to get to hunting country. As a result, hunters have become more dependent on their gear than hunting skill, so tend to obsess over technology, hoping it will make everything come together in the relatively little time they have to hunt.

Which is exactly why so many of today's "hunting" magazines are more about gear than hunting techniques. During the off-season we can fool around in our man-caves with reloading, changing scopes, and tinkering with triggers. It also explains why do many rifle loonies sell one custom rifle about as soon as it's sighted-in, or even sell the parts before they're put together. They're searching for the rifle that will change their lives, when if they could actually hunt more they might even be happy with one rifle, chambered for an antique cartridge instead of the chambering of the month.

John that's as good an explanation of what I was thinking as I have read. Well said.I have no doubts about the writer's abilities today....it's the market they play to...

Pal Rick told me that a scope company rep at Shot Show or Safari this year, told him less than half of scope sales today go to hunters...their marketing tells them the majority of scopes are sold to shooters.

Based on a lot of what I see,there are fewer hunters out there.Besides, who knows grouse hunting like Burton Spiller had....unless it's Battue. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
One of my all time favorite "poetical" articles of any genre is "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego; Into the fiery furnace of the great Zambezi." by Roger Pinckney published in Gray's Sporting Journal, Sep/Oct 2012.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Pinckney writes really good stuff from time to time.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I miss good hunnting stories in the magazines that I grew up reading. I continue to read books and I am always looking for new to me books to add to the library. I like these threads because I find more materials to look for.
I try to teach my children to enjoy reading by reading to them. I am currently reading "The Old Man and the Boy" to my youngest.

Archibald Rutledge should be on the list

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
smokepole,

Thanks, that book is already in the library.

kandpand

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks to for all the suggestions. Grays is a good contemporary example of the kind of stuff I'm looking for. If another author comes to mind, please let me know.

Mule Deer, I think your diagnosis is spot on. There's also the problem of free "content" that displaces columns and extras that used to help pay writers' bills and leave them time to produce more measured pieces. In addition, more people read online and online reading does not encourage longer more reflective appreciation. What happens when a reader's attention span is conditioned by the average length of a tweet or text message?

LJB, that's a heck of title!

Ella

Last edited by Ella; 08/20/14.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Baxter Black.

More cowboy poeticalness, but I recall some huntical stories.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not exactly huntin, but BB wrote a poem on how we could make fur coats politically correct by recycling roadkill that ended with one of the great quatrains ever published in the English language:

�MAKE IT A HABIT TO PICK UP YOUR RABBIT.

DON�T LEAVE HIM TO DRY IN THE SUN.

FOR THE SAKE OF A GARMENT, RECYCLE YOUR VARMINT,

IT�S TACKY TO JUST HIT AND RUN!�

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Classic!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.