-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I almost bought one in a bolt gun, but I couldn't bring myself to do it and hoped I could get sub-sonic .308's to group good enough for sub-sonic work.

They do. Thank God.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Suppressed and subsonic, they're fun. Other than that...meh!

I owned one, enjoyed playing with it, but bullets are expensive, it has the trajectory of a rainbow with subs, and it's another cartridge I have to load for.

I sold mine and put together a short barreled, suppressed 5.56. It's a lot louder than the 300, but odds are I can hit a target at 50, 100, etc. without having to hold way over, dial, etc.

The 300 is fun, but in my opinion, that's about where the usefulness ends.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Which brings us to another point of uselessness...

Sub-sonic and suppressed is cool as schit. But the reality is, unless you're killing cats in your neighbor's backyard, there's really no need to be THAT fuggin' quiet.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
you've hit on a point even more germane than uselessness... NEED. and regardless whether one needs a useless gun or not, if he want's it, isn't that reason enough?

i don't know if my buddy actually needed a tracking point rifle, but i can truthfully say it is absolutely the coolest thing ever; especially to someone with my limited knowledge and experience.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by djones; 08/21/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sure. Buy whatever you want.

Slingshots are bad ass too.

Travis

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
that's my point

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I understand. And the OP was asking why something so schitty is so popular. And I'm simply agreeing that when it comes to modern day rifles, the cartridges usefulness is pretty limited.

Travis

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have shot suppressed 308 and it thumps pretty good with heavy sub sonic rounds. The 300BO pushes the same bullet to the same speed and hits just as hard, suppressed it's a great tool and pretty fun as well.

It's those who push it for super sonic use that I don't understand but I don't care what someone else uses or buys, just don't try to tell me how "bad" it is.

The ability to shoot quietly while seeing in the dark while blasting pigs is reason enough to town one, why I'll bet even a dpms would work. wink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TWR,

What ranges are you typically shooting pigs at? And do you dial out to the 250 or so? Or further?

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the idea of shooting suppressed subs at a herd of pigs, when they trot up. Or ambushing them at night and not making the ranch's neighbors freak out.

I also have the DD beside the bed, as the house gun, but after shooting a doe & a pig with subsonic 220's, I may switch it to 125gr supes. Or 240 SMK's if I can find them.

It is a reliable and accurate rifle, which I always find hard to dislike...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by TWR
... why I'll bet even a dpms would work. wink

i forgot what i was talking about. i'll have to think about that one

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep the subsonic suppressor is the reason for the 300 Bo. The 6.8 supersonic is gooder for stuff, all things considered the 5.56 is probably an equally good choice despite the blathering and fawning paid to the Bo.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The .223 covers a whooooooole lot of ground.

But the further east or south you go, the less people recognize it...

grin

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little off topic, but what do some of you experienced AR guys think about the 6.8 spc vs the 6.5 Grendel? The ballistics of the 300BO do not interest me but these two have me thinking...

(Oh yeah I'm 35 and still prefer bolt guns... not sure where that puts me)

Last edited by RUM7; 08/21/14.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
TWR,

What ranges are you typically shooting pigs at? And do you dial out to the 250 or so? Or further?

Travis

Typically 100-150 yards, of course I shot one directly beneath me with a 44 special and have seen my cousin kill the biggest one yet at 200 yards with a 50 gr NBT 223. While I do shoot steel out to 800 yards, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting pigs with either a 223 or 300 BO past 300 yards. Well they are the scourge of the earth and I'd probably shoot at them if I could see em.

But at night in a stand over a feeder, a suppressed 240 gr hunk of lead would put a lot of bacon on the ground.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR

Typically 100-150 yards, of course I shot one directly beneath me with a 44 special and have seen my cousin kill the biggest one yet at 200 yards with a 50 gr NBT 223. While I do shoot steel out to 800 yards, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting pigs with either a 223 or 300 BO past 300 yards. Well they are the scourge of the earth and I'd probably shoot at them if I could see em.

But at night in a stand over a feeder, a suppressed 240 gr hunk of lead would put a lot of bacon on the ground.

You lost me. Are you saying your 44 is suppressed? I was talking about the 30 cal sub-sonics.

I was curious how many MOA you're having to dial to get to 150 or 200 or so. My son and I were messing with them in the .308 today and they were doing pretty UBER.

Travis

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm 60 and began shooting the 300 whisper 14 years ago. Still have my contender but I use my Noveske AR in 300 Blackout more. I'm a woods hunter in VA. We can't use 5.56 to deer hunt. I have shot 30? or more deer both subsonic and supersonic. So far, all one shot kills. Shooting with a suppressor is so nice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Which brings us to another point of uselessness...

Sub-sonic and suppressed is cool as schit. But the reality is, unless you're killing cats in your neighbor's backyard, there's really no need to be THAT fuggin' quiet.

Travis

Some pig shoots work out a LOT better quietly. More targets hang around longer.

Some areas I hunt deer in, are close to houses, some are close to other hunters unfortunately, and it just flat spooks the deer much less than the boom.

Shoot a boom or two out of my area, and odds are you won't see much for deer for a day or two. Suppress one and I'll likely see the normal deer that next hunt and they won't be spooky.

OF course there are otehr reasons to have em, IE just want em. But there are legit reasons for some uses.

More so than cats.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

Some pig shoots work out a LOT better quietly. More targets hang around longer.

Some areas I hunt deer in, are close to houses, some are close to other hunters unfortunately, and it just flat spooks the deer much less than the boom.

Shoot a boom or two out of my area, and odds are you won't see much for deer for a day or two. Suppress one and I'll likely see the normal deer that next hunt and they won't be spooky.

OF course there are otehr reasons to have em, IE just want em. But there are legit reasons for some uses.

More so than cats.

Ok.

Travis

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sorry Travis, we misunderstood each other. I don't have a 300 BO but have shot a 308 subsonic so I know what the BO is capable of.

I shoot my pigs with regular ol 223's and the 44 special I spoke of was a 629, no suppressor. At least for now.

A buddy of mine does the suppressed/NV thing but keeps it to more close range stuff. To be clear, I'm all for the 300 BO with a suppressor, I just don't see it as a giant killer running light bullets supersonic.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.