Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He starts out with "Mr. Brown is a victim". Was he? O'Reilly is accepting as truth exactly what Al Sharpton is saying. He has, by his own admission, no knowledge of whether Brown is the victim or the assailant but he starts right out by putting the blame on the cop.

I'd say well thought out and good words there for sure.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Anyone who has been shot is a victim of being shot.
No. A victim implies you've had your rights violated. You don't have a right to attack someone, try to take his gun, and then not get shot in the process, so he's not a victim.

Yawn.
�Victim� (1) one that is injured, destroyed, or sacrificed under any of various conditions <a~of cancer><a~of the auto crash or accident><a~murder or shooting>
Context modifies the definition. In this context, it means what I said.

Yawn
It is not your context. It is Bill Reilly's quote and his context is about a gunshot victim.
Local headline:�How Many Gunshot Victims Have There Been In Ferguson So Far? Hospitals Refuse To Say�
�Unfortunately, it may take a while for information about further victims of violence in Ferguson to come to light.�

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yawn
It is not your context. It is Bill Reilly's quote and his context is about a gunshot victim.
If a robber was shot in the act, do you consider him a victim, or a person who got what was coming to him? Can't be both and you know it. The word victim implies an injustice has occurred.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yawn
If a robber was shot in the act, do you consider him a victim, or a person who go what was coming to him? Can't be both and you know it. The word victim implies an injustice has occurred.

Correct, objective commentary TRH, as usual!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Is it really that hard for you to understand?

A gun fires...person gets hit...they are a gunshot victim.

I met a guy who leaned a gun on the side of his truck. This gun slipped & on the way down a twig got caught in the trigger...the guy got shot...if he's not a gunshot victim, what is he?...besides a dumbass.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Is it really that hard for you to understand?

A gun fires...person gets hit...they are a gunshot victim.

I met a guy who leaned a gun on the side of his truck. This gun slipped & on the way down a twig got caught in the trigger...the guy got shot...if he's not a gunshot victim, what is he?...besides a dumbass.
The man in your example is a victim because he didn't have it coming, i.e., it wasn't in any sense justice for him to die. Those shot deservedly, on the other hand, aren't correctly termed victims.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not what I hoped for, but approximately what I expected. Have a pleasant evening.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think pretty much everybody grasps what he's saying. The difference is that some people are appalled by it and some people shrug and say, "Well, heck, it is a government, after all:you can't expect it to make omelets without breaking a few eggs."

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Barak

I don't know, of course, but my instinct is to call BS. If he had been able to show any injury at all stemming from the confrontation, the PD would have trotted it out at the very beginning, at the first sign that things might get ugly. They might even have taken him out back and worked him over themselves just so that he'd have a visible injury they could blame on Brown.

Time will tell, but the delay does severe violence to the credibility of the claim.

Sharpton couldn't have said it any better....Congratulations???

I dunno about you, or a cop, but I'M NOT GOING TO WAIT to be injured before dropping the hammer on a perceived imminent threat. If that's what it was.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
However little credibility o'Reilly has, he is at least an intelligent and honest man. Sharpton has zero credibility. In fact, less than zero.

Steve.

Sometimes he grates on me, but I don't believe you hold the ratings and make the money he does, with little credibility.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yawn
If a robber was shot in the act, do you consider him a victim, or a person who got what was coming to him? Can't be both and you know it. The word victim implies an injustice has occurred.

In my world...If a robber was shot in the act, he is a gunshot victim who may or may not got what was coming to him. It most certainly could be either or both.
I have already listed several dictionary definitions that do not imply any injustice.
Some do and some do not.

Only in your world do you get to pick and chose a different definition than the one that O'Reilly clearly intended.

noun: victim; plural noun: victims
1. a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
[...]
1. One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.
2. A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.
3. One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition: victims of war.
4. A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.
5. A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I understand what he's trying to say, but for crying out loud, this is a forum...not a classroom. Always nitpicking at semantics...

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The point of this thread should be what Bill O'Reilly was saying. And not taking him out of context.
Or trying to change the meanings of his words.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The point of this thread should be what Bill O'Reilly was saying. And not taking him out of context.
Or trying to change the meanings of his words.

You're preachin to the choir brother...
Baraks comments surprised me even though I know he's sympathetic towards the poor, persecuted, imprisoned sociopaths that attend his Kairos meetings... Sharpton would be proud of his "brother" speaking out against that racist O'Reilly trying to smear the good name of that fine young man who the police gunned down in cold blood...just because he was black...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jesse Jackson has left the building grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We also hear today that Officer Wilson has an orbital blow out fracture of his eye socket.

I don't know, of course, but my instinct is to call BS. If he had been able to show any injury at all stemming from the confrontation, the PD would have trotted it out at the very beginning, at the first sign that things might get ugly. They might even have taken him out back and worked him over themselves just so that he'd have a visible injury they could blame on Brown.

Time will tell, but the delay does severe violence to the credibility of the claim.

If you actually believe the BS you're spouting - I'm sorry for you.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes, he does believe it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sharpton would be proud of his "brother" speaking out against that racist O'Reilly trying to smear the good name of that fine young man who the police gunned down in cold blood...just because he was black...

Given the larger context of a government murdering its subjects, which this incident may or may not be another example of, I don't give two whoops about racism. For me, murder trumps unfairness every day.

I was just pointing out that it would look a lot better for the police department if Wilson had been injured in the incident than if he hadn't. Surely that's not a controversial statement.

The other two statements are simple extrapolations from that.

First, if Wilson's injury had been part of the narrative from the very beginning, it would be a lot more credible than when it is suddenly inserted after a week of rioting.

Secondly, some police are demonstrably not above creating injuries after the fact to excuse their actions. Remember those three cops who broke into the old lady's house and killed her, then each arranged to acquire small-caliber minor gunshot wounds themselves that they used to justify the shooting? I have no idea whether Wilson is that kind of a cop, but I know of nothing that militates that he can't be.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I understand what he's trying to say, but for crying out loud, this is a forum...not a classroom. Always nitpicking at semantics...
Semantics convey meaning. It give us insight into the way people think. He thinks there's no moral distinction between a crook who got shot and a victim who got shot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Sharpton would be proud of his "brother" speaking out against that racist O'Reilly trying to smear the good name of that fine young man who the police gunned down in cold blood...just because he was black...

Given the larger context of a government murdering its subjects, which this incident may or may not be another example of, I don't give two whoops about racism. For me, murder trumps unfairness every day.

I was just pointing out that it would look a lot better for the police department if Wilson had been injured in the incident than if he hadn't. Surely that's not a controversial statement.

The other two statements are simple extrapolations from that.

First, if Wilson's injury had been part of the narrative from the very beginning, it would be a lot more credible than when it is suddenly inserted after a week of rioting.

Secondly, some police are demonstrably not above creating injuries after the fact to excuse their actions. Remember those three cops who broke into the old lady's house and killed her, then each arranged to acquire small-caliber minor gunshot wounds themselves that they used to justify the shooting? I have no idea whether Wilson is that kind of a cop, but I know of nothing that militates that he can't be.
Valid points, Barak.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,072
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.