Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can't believe all of these fools. However, I once shot a deer so big that it took three guys just to brag about it. True story.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Wayne never cut his own grass,nor any other manly yard duties...

he was always in the house picking out dresses to wear....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
The most egregious story comes from a few years ago. Angus was next door, talking to the neighbor girl. All of a sudden, she got a sick look on her face and ran inside. Angus decided something was wrong and came back home.

He'd just started explaining when the doorbell rang. It was the girl's father. He was agitated. He wouldn't come in the house, he was angry and fearful because Angus had told his daughter that he had a .22. Before we go any further into the story, let me just mention that the neighbors are Jewish and I'm 3rd-gen German American. I'm not being hateful; it is relevant to the story.

"Yes," I replied. "He does. Technically, it is mine. He cannot legally own a firearm until he's 18."

I then got a raft of questions: Does he have access to the firearm? Does he have access to the ammo?

I cut the guy off and told him I was an NRA Life Member and kept the firearms according to NRA recommendations, and I'd be happy to give him a pamphlet on how to keep firearms with children in the house and -

"NO." he replied. "I just want your word that your son does not have access to guns."

I assured him we kept the guns safe and that we only shot them at the farm. He skulked off. We packed up and headed to the farm for the weekend.

Sunday, after our return, a very haggard and pale version of the neighbor returned to the front door.

"Yes?"

"Look, you gotta help me. My wife has been all over me. I haven't slept all weekend. I just need your assurance, man-to-man, that your son does not have unfettered access to firearms.

"Yes, that is true. If you like I can send along that pamphlet I mentioned. The NRA is a great source of info-"

"No, that will be enough." He said. "My wife is just very upset and worried."

"About what?"

"About all the guns." replied the neighbor. "She worried that-"

I'd had enough. "Look Dave," I said. "I'll tell you the problem here. The problem is that somebody thinks of us as GERMANS. And they have a real big stinking problem with the idea of GERMANS having GUNS. I get the picture, really clear. "

"NO! That's not it at all."

". . .and you can tell your wife that, as far as I am concerned, I am getting rather annoyed at the idea that someone would be so worried about a GERMAN having a gun. I would have thought we would have all grown past that by now."

I shut the door and we did not talk for the better part of a year.

You need to move to the woods. Doubt I could of been as cordial.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
During the last typhoon that we experienced, the wind was so strong it could bend the beam of my flashlight - honest.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's very flat in Saskatchewan. "How flat is it?", you ask.

It's so flat in Saskatchewan that you can walk out into a field, stand up straight and see the back of your head.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deerstalker
this one from behind the counter.
Deer hunting on Colorado this nimrod armed with a 30-04 springfield sporter with 180 rem's took his 10 point Mulie at 600 measured yards. said mulie was at a dead run across the slope. " I held on his nose and broke his neck"

Let's see...history of government's 30 cal in bolt-action Mauser clones...30-03: 220rn @ 2200, 30-04: 180 @ 3600, and then they settled on 30-06: 150 @ 2700. I guess they wanted to find the limits of the platform before settling on something effective. I'd not mind getting a 30-04 chamber cut. Makes a magnum bolt face unnecessary! Can you find this guy, Deerstalker?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wuz huntin in Montana one year for speed goats.That evening I met a fellow in The Big Sky Bar from Oregon.He had him(New at the time) a 7MM Shootin Times Westerner.This Dude had about 2" thick coke bottle lenses on his glasses and wuz telling me of his 800 yard shots on running speed goats.The whole bar was crackin up and he could not figure what we wuz laffin at!!!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The old I shot a big buck 3 times square in the heart with a 30-30 and he ran off so I bought me a 300 mag.

K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Man, I can think of a bunch of really awesome ones. One was my ex-wifes uncle who owned a gun shop. He favored a 7MM Rem Mag. Because sighted in 3 inches high at 100 he could hold on out to 500 yards and had made 800 yards shots on antelope with just a sliver of daylight under the crosshair . you needed no lead on running animals.

Just last week a guy at a gun shop told me he has a 338 Lapua that shoots 1" groups @ 1000 yards . That's quite impressive!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KHH
Man, I can think of a bunch of really awesome ones. One was my ex-wifes uncle who owned a gun shop. He favored a 7MM Rem Mag. Because sighted in 3 inches high at 100 he could hold on out to 500 yards and had made 800 yards shots on antelope with just a sliver of daylight under the crosshair . you needed no lead on running animals.

Just last week a guy at a gun shop told me he has a 338 Lapua that shoots 1" groups @ 1000 yards . That's quite impressive!!!

So he holds several shooting tiles and world records, huh? Great!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Screw it, post removed.

Long story and I didn't type it well. Let's say I met a "genius" who is a friend of my roommate's and I left the discussion before the stupid became contagious.

Last edited by bigfish9684; 08/17/14.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The first ruffed grouse I shot when I was a kid in PA had only one pellet wound, in its head. I have only taken 4 grouse in my
lifetime and two were a double. None of this is BS.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Gun show true story:

Guy came by the table last weekend bragging about his AR-15 M-4...told us he could shoot quarter size groups with it using standard 55 grain bullets....at 1000 yds offhand with stock A2 sights...when we asked him how much hold over he was using for the drop he told us his rifle shot flat and he held dead on! When he left us, laughing on the floor of course, we looked up the drop of a Remington 223 55gn with a 100 yd zero: 691.581 " or about 17 FEET! and he held dead on target...a quarter....at 1000yds...
And they buy guns.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good one. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
When I was in Alaska it got so cold my fire froze.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
When I was in Alaska it got so cold my fire froze.
mike r

laugh laugh laugh

I just thot I had been cold before, I was wrong!! grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
First liar doesn't have a chance.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fgold767
Gun show true story:
691.581 " or about 17 FEET! and he held dead on target...a quarter....at 1000yds...
And they buy guns.....

691" is actually about 57'7"

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
An old fellow that worked with me before he retired told the story where his brother had a bird dog that kept eating birds, so one day he had had enough and went to the truck and got "some kind of 22 magnum" and shot the dog and he fell over dead caught on fire and "burnt slam up, nothing but ashes".

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Shooting a groundhog at about 300yrds with 22-250 he missed he said that there was a blade of grass right in front of the hog said the bullet exploded when it hit that grass. Cause the 22-250 is so fast it can't hit grass. I figure the bullet must have been traveling right around 5000fps at 300yrds to do that lol.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.