Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am going to build a log cabin next year. I need a summerbeam.
I decided that this black walnut would make a good summerbeam:

[Linked Image]

The ends of the log are marked with the level:

[Linked Image]

Lines are marked with the chalk box. This beam will be 8 inches wide:

[Linked Image]

The big Stihl roars:

[Linked Image]

The summerbeam is finished:

[Linked Image]

The summerbeam is fastened to the log cart. With this cart, a heavy beam can be rolled along level ground by one man. The big timber is moved under the carport, to season for a year. Will build the log cabin next April:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by simonkenton7; 08/22/14.
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's pretty cool. I know nothing of this stuff, what keeps it straight while drying out? Always wondered that

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cut the summerbeam with the technique called "boxing in the heart." This means that the center of the log remains as the center of the beam. When you box in the heart, the beam will not warp much, if at all, while drying.

If, for example, you had a 24 inch diameter log, and you cut it right down the middle, and made two beams from it, these beams would warp.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your pics make it look easy.

...some of us here know better.

beautiful work, Man.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any chance of you pulling that stump up?
There is a valuable market for stump cut black walnut stock blanks. Just food for thought I guess.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I cut the summerbeam with the technique called "boxing in the heart." This means that the center of the log remains as the center of the beam. When you box in the heart, the beam will not warp much, if at all, while drying.

If, for example, you had a 24 inch diameter log, and you cut it right down the middle, and made two beams from it, these beams would warp.

Thank you. Learn something new everyday

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That stump is still setting right there. I cut that tree down in March and I'm sure the stump is pristine. I know there is some good wood in the stump, but, that is a lot of work to dig up a stump.

If you live near Marshall NC and you want the stump, come on up! I have 4 other big black walnut stumps that you can also get.

I have hundreds of black walnut trees on my property and, they are, more or less a pest. Had to whack 2 of them because they were killing my garden. Cut the other 3 to make timbers. The scraps are in my wood pile. I have a fire place and a wood stove; I burn lots of black walnut. Not as good as oak but pretty good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a English grafted to black walnut stump I dug out, I'm sitting on one of the main roots.
The tree blew over in a wind storm that followed 5 straight days of rain. Tree fell across the railroad tracks so had to get the upper part of that puppy cleared out pronto.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
That stump is still setting right there. I cut that tree down in March and I'm sure the stump is pristine. I know there is some good wood in the stump, but, that is a lot of work to dig up a stump.

If you live near Marshall NC and you want the stump, come on up! I have 4 other big black walnut stumps that you can also get.

I have hundreds of black walnut trees on my property and, they are, more or less a pest. Had to whack 2 of them because they were killing my garden. Cut the other 3 to make timbers. The scraps are in my wood pile. I have a fire place and a wood stove; I burn lots of black walnut. Not as good as oak but pretty good.
him come get that stump? Pfffftt

With bus fare and a pork chop nailed to it, I doubt he'd even budge a millimeter.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And I thought I could push a Stihl. Very nice work.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Gorgeous piece of walnut. Thanks for the photographs of your process. Looking forward to seeing this thread move along over the next few years.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Gorgeous piece of walnut. Thanks for the photographs of your process. Looking forward to seeing this thread move along over the next few years.

I agree. I would like to see this thread grow into a start to finish pictorial of the log cabin build.

We need more like this. The political bitching threads are getting old...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Very interesting, I had no idea that you could do that w/ a chainsaw. I agree that we could use more topics like this. I enjoy the vast array of skills demonstrated on this site as well as the variety of life styles and occupations. It is hard to beat a thread containing dogs,axes, trucks and rifles. The hunting and fishing stuff isn't too bad either.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I made another summerbeam. See, the cabin will be 24 feet long. There will be 2 summerbeams, one will be 16 feet long, the other 8 feet long, and they will be spliced together on top of a big stout post.
The loft will set on top of the summerbeam. This is timber framing, the loft joists will be 8x8s, all will be exposed.

So, this tree is for the 16 foot summerbeam. But, it fell over the wrong way and got snagged on another tree. I had a rope tied to it, and as I was making the cutting notches, I was pulling the rope with the 4WD pickup, and the rope broke. Manila rope.

[Linked Image]

I came back with a new rope, with a working strength of 2,100 lbs, and 4 snatch blocks. These are beautiful antique American made snatch blocks, I bought 'em off of ebay for 80 bucks apiece.

[Linked Image]

I rigged the tow strap to the black walnut tree

[Linked Image]

I rigged the rope to the pulleys, on a second tree:

[Linked Image]

And up the mountain to a pulley on another tree, and down to the little 4WD Nissan.

[Linked Image]

I pulled the tree loose from the snag, cut it 18 feet long, and pulled it 120 feet up the steep mountain. The Stihl got a workout on this big beast:

[Linked Image]

This beast is 18 inches high, 8 inches thick, and 18 feet long. So heavy, my log cart would barely lift it. I believe it is about 500 pounds.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/simonkenton/IMG_0480_zps9890588f.jpg[/img]

I hauled it over to the carport where it is drying, along with the 8 foot summerbeam, and the 8x8 black walnut post.
These beams will lose quite a bit of water weight in the next year, Thank God.

Since y'all are interested, I will post pics of the log cabin construction next year. You will see the summerbeam in place! I will sand it down with my disc grinder and belt sander, and put a coat of satin poly on it, it will be beautiful.

I build cabins in the Appalachian style, the logs are 6 inches thick and left round on the top and bottom, about 14 inches high. I cut dovetail notches at the corners with the chain saw and big chisels and a slick.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 08/23/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is really neat stuff. Thanks for posting it.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cool project

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Displaying my total ignorance of log cabins -

What is a summerbeam?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
beautiful antique American made snatch blocks

MMMmmmm, Bulldogs and a Big Crosby, No ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simonkenton7,
I forgot to give you a hat tip for your Skill with a chainsaw, I am in awe!
Amazing work Sir!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Very interesting, I had no idea that you could do that w/ a chainsaw.

When building my log horse barn I used a chainsaw and a rip chain to slab top and bottom of the logs. You can see I cheated though by using a saw guide.

[Linked Image]

Hope to see pictures of the log cabin process.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.