Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
So I am at the range with a buddy of mine. He had a new(to him) savage 25-06. He goes to load it but the shell won't fully chamber... He looks at me with a confused look on his face, like..."what's wrong with my gun?". I asked him if he had looked down the barrel to make sure there's no obstruction. He said, "there shouldn't be, I just cleaned it last night". I look down the barrel and can't see thru it. I told him he's got something in his barrel. I run a metal rod down the barrel and push out a dirty cleaning patch into his action. I told him he should always check the bore before loading a rifle.
I just wonder what would have happened had the patch been a bit further up, allowing the round to chamber, and he fired the cartridge??? Anybody know of a real experience with this?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good chance it would not go well, especially if it was real tight, might have just blown ahead of the bullet, but you never know.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the patch was just in the barrel, then maybe it would have blown out ahead of the bullet. But he said that his buddy couldn't chamber a round, which makes me think that part or all of the patch was in the chamber. If he forcefully was able to chamber a round while the patch was in that position...the results liked would've sucked...badly.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ask your buddy if he wipes his ass before he shiets

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seems odd to me that a grown man doesn't look down bore after cleaning a gun, since that's the fricken reason we clean the bore in the first place. Idiots and guns.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it does to us owners, but there are a lot of people that grew up in non hunting/gun owning families. One day they decide to get into the sport and no one shows them the proper way or worst yet become antis. Hopefully the OP will be able to "teach" him the proper way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably nothing in a bolt action, but still(obviously) not recommended.

Have some old NRA handloading books and those mention people acquiring Arisakas and other metric milsurps not understaning what they had and firing anything in them they could beat the bolts down on with(usually) no ill effect. A local screwed up and dropped a .270 in to a .25-06 M-77 with no damage other than the boom going beyond any ear protection being worn.

Same can't be said with other actions. Same NRA guides mentioned Savage 99's getting blown to bits with bring back 7.92x57mm Mauser and have heard AR's in .223 getting destroyed when a .30 round based on the same case got fired in them

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sherp

Have some old NRA handloading books and those mention people acquiring Arisakas and other metric milsurps not understaning what they had and firing anything in them they could beat the bolts down on with(usually) no ill effect. A local screwed up and dropped a .270 in to a .25-06 M-77 with no damage other than the boom going beyond any ear protection being worn.

Same can't be said with other actions. Same NRA guides mentioned Savage 99's getting blown to bits with bring back 7.92x57mm Mauser and have heard AR's in .223 getting destroyed when a .30 round based on the same case got fired in them

Impossible to fire a larger caliber in any gun.

They won't even chamber to fire.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Springfield 03A3 which shoots very well, despite the slight bulge in its barrel, about 1/2 way down. No I am not the one who put it there smile I'm guessing a patch was to blame.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Not impossible and when the right conditions are met there is no reason the round won't fire.

http://www.levergun.com/articles/wrong.htm

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If the oversize round is shorter, yes they can. I have not checked it but supposedly a .308 Win will chamber in a .270 Win. Trying to drive the .308 bullet down the .277 bore takes pressure waaayyy up there.

There is also a recurring rumor that a .300 Blackout (aka .300 Whisper) will chamber in a 5.56 chamber, in an AR. I specifically checked mine, and it stopped well short of going into battery. I won't say it's impossible, but it seems unlikely.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

If the oversize round is shorter, yes they can. I have not checked it but supposedly a .308 Win will chamber in a .270 Win. Trying to drive the .308 bullet down the .277 bore takes pressure waaayyy up there.

There is also a recurring rumor that a .300 Blackout (aka .300 Whisper) will chamber in a 5.56 chamber, in an AR. I specifically checked mine, and it stopped well short of going into battery. I won't say it's impossible, but it seems unlikely.

What you and I have observed complete with pictures:

http://www.levergun.com/articles/wrong.htm

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A shorter round with a larger bullet maybe. But the examples mentioned don't work that way... unless you get a hammer involved. wink

AR's in .223 getting destroyed when a .30 round based on the same case got fired in them

A local screwed up and dropped a .270 in to a .25-06 M-77 with no damage other than the boom going beyond any ear protection being worn.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A shorter round with a larger bullet maybe. But the examples mentioned don't work that way... unless you get a hammer involved. wink

AR's in .223 getting destroyed when a .30 round based on the same case got fired in them

A local screwed up and dropped a .270 in to a .25-06 M-77 with no damage other than the boom going beyond any ear protection being worn.

Per the NRA guide, anything thy could beat the bolt down on.

The M77 story was told to me several years ago by a person who was on hand when it happened so I could have been given(or forgotten) the exact details.

The .223 was told to me by the owner of the rifle who also relayed the details of what was destroyed vs. salvaged. They had taken a new shooter to the range where someone else had been or was shooting a .300 Whisper. Can't recall if a loose round got picked up and stuck in a mag or a full mag of .300 got stuck in, but either way the results were nearly identical to this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/..._a_223____Update__It_s_Out___Page_2.html

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Take a wild guess!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Again, the 300 BLK is a shorter case.

[Linked Image]

If the cartridge is "forced into the chamber, the bullet is forced back into the case, and things go south from there.

I consider a 300 BLK a "wildcat" rather than a cartridge based on another.

A .243 is "based on" a .308.

A .270 Win. is based on a 30-06.

Heard of lots of cases where a smaller caliber was fired in a larger caliber chamber on cartridges based on a common one.

Either way, it's not rocket science to not force things to work... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Let's not find out. There are somethings in life we are better not knowing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With an AR-15 the shooter wouldn't necessarily be forcing anything in order to inadvertently chamber a .30 round in to a .223/5.56 chamber since the spring is more than capable of driving a bullet back in the case under certain circumstances. Also, not out of line to tap the forward assist to finish the job since that is what it is there for.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,466
Posts18,529,218
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.