Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What can the campfire tell me about the Columbus, OH area? I had a job interview there last week and the recruiter tells me that it is between me and another person for the final offer. If I'm offered the job, I'll consider re-locating there from Charlotte, NC. Specifically, the job is in Westerville.

Good, bad, and indifferent welcomed. Yes, I already know about the whole OSU stuff...

Thx.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Arguably the World's best deer hunting is just a hop & a skip away from downtown Columbus. I couldn't think of a better place to live if deer hunting was high on my to-do list.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I "Googled" Westerville, Ohio which gives a great deal of information about that area.

Westerville is a city in Franklin and Delaware counties in the U.S. state of Ohio. It is a northeastern suburb of Columbus. The population was 36,120 at the 2010 census. Wikipedia
Area: 12.61 sq miles (32.66 km�)
Weather: 86�F (30�C), Wind E at 2 mph (3 km/h), 62% Humidity
Local time: Monday 4:15 PM
Population: 37,073 (2012)
Unemployment rate: 3.7% (Apr 2014)
Colleges and Universities: Otterbein University, Hondros College, Bohecker College-Columbus

Click on the site address (below) and read as much as you need to read about that area.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=westerville+ohio

Good Luck on what may be your new job... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ron, yes, I have done that as well. Looking more for first hand account...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Close to the city, close to the country. Flat as a pancake. Weather's neither awful nor grand. Greater Columbus does seem to be doing better, economically, than most other parts of the state.

I just got an offspring started @ tO$U. It was head & shoulders above the other places he was considering, including my alma mater.

Good Luck on the job!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I live about 70 miles west of Westerville, but have never been there. However I have traveled all around that area and it seems to be a pleasant place.

Naturally, you know that Columbus is the Capital of Ohio and has all the things-to-do that most capital cities have. I've seen their "German Village" and eaten in several of Columbus's "specialty restaurants"... it's a "cool" city and relatively clean... and there's a big fishing reservoir (Hoover Reservoir) just north-north-east of Columbus very near Westerville if you're a fisherman... and plenty of decent deer hunting south and south-east within a few hour's drive of the City.

Most Ohio folks are pretty nice... but possibly not quite as hospitable as the folks in your current area. And a lot depends on WHERE you live in the Columbus area as well.

I wish I could tell you more... but at least this is "something", eh? Hahahahaha!!! grin

Ron

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My niece coached at Wittenburg State[?] for the past two years. After living in SWVA most all of her life prior. She was quite happy to land a job in NC and not have to endure another winter up there.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am about 30mins SE of C-Bus. It's a good state but the hunting sucks unless you're crazy about big bucks and squirrels.

Adam

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to hunt a place on the East end of Buckeye Lake and I'd see 75-100 deer on opening day alone. Tues would be more like 50-75, Weds, ~25, Thurs and Fri would be big zeros, but on Saturday I'd see ~75 deer again.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ditto what everyone else has said. It is by a wide margin the nicest city in Ohio. There are worse places to live if you like to hunt and fish but leasing has taken hold and a lot of the private farms ect are now longer available for just asking permission. The deer population is also down in recent years. No centerfire rifle for hunting deer but we can now use pistol cartridges.

Good restaurants and bar scene. Lots of sports and entertainment venues. Learn to love or hate the Buckeyes. Traffic isn�t too bad for a city of its size. One of the nation�s best zoos. Lots of good sporting stores including a small Cabela�s. Lake Erie is 2 hours north, Ohio River 2 hours south. 2 of the top 10 roller coaster parks are 1.5 and 2 hours away. 8 hours drive East to the Atlantic and about 20 hours west to hit the Rockies (I try go to both each year). I graduated college from Otterbein in Westerville. Let me know if I can provide any further intel.

No Bojangles frown

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will have to learn to pi$$ scarlet and $hit gray.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
north east is Amish country - south east is appalachia

there are worst places to live.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually, an Ohio deer hunter can use a center-fire rifle in Ohio for deer hunting this year for the first time IF the rifle is chambered for ANY "straight-walled" cartridge like a .44 magnum. Minimum caliber is .357 magnum, but you can use any number of "straight-walled" pistol cartridges fired through rifles to hunt deer in Ohio this year.

This new change in the law is a now "current" deer hunting law in Ohio and gives Ohio deer hunters a much better alternative compared to using shotguns with slugs.

I hope to go deer hunting this year in Ohio (instead of Pennsylvania) with one of my sons using my old-style, semi-automatic Ruger Carbine in .44 magnum. It is much more accurate than a shotgun with slugs, much lighter and shorter than any shotgun and much easier on the shoulder was well. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my buddy lives in newark ohio and loves it. i've visited him. seems like a nice area. kind of old-fashioned mid-west flavor. columbus i'm sure has its share of scum but you don't have to live there.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Actually, an Ohio deer hunter can use a center-fire rifle in Ohio for deer hunting this year for the first time IF the rifle is chambered for ANY "straight-walled" cartridge like a .44 magnum. Minimum caliber is .357 magnum, but you can use any number of "straight-walled" pistol cartridges fired through rifles to hunt deer in Ohio this year.

This new change in the law is a now "current" deer hunting law in Ohio and gives Ohio deer hunters a much better alternative compared to using shotguns with slugs.

I hope to go deer hunting this year in Ohio (instead of Pennsylvania) with one of my sons using my old-style, semi-automatic Ruger Carbine in .44 magnum. It is much more accurate than a shotgun with slugs, much lighter and shorter than any shotgun and much easier on the shoulder was well. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I'm tickled to death that ODNR is allowing "pistol caliber" (including 45/70!) long guns, but the advantage is shooting $0.40 reloads instead of $3 a shot sabot slugs. If your Ruger 44 carbine shoots as accurately as my 12 gauge rifled Encore with Hornady SST slugs I'd be surprised.

Personally, I'm using a MGM .357 Max 24" barreled Contender this year.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
pretty much all there is to say about ohio smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't think of a better place to live if you can stand Midwest winters. Snow and cold for too long, but not nearly as much snow here as northern Ohio. Summers can be hot, but not so much as the South. Several "bedroom" communities around the I-270 Outerbelt to get away from the "city" (Westerville is a nice area).

Columbus has to be one of the easiest large cities to drive in; the streets in most of the city are laid out in a checkerboard pattern, North/South and East/West, except for newer residential developments. Great access to I-70 (east/west) or I-71 (Cleveland/Cincinatti) and on south.

Terrain is varied from pretty rugged hill country in southeastern Ohio, to boringly flat farm land in the western part of the state, and everything in between.

Lots of public land (both State and Federal) available to hunt, fish, boating or hiking. There are several trail systems, if you are into hiking.

Guess I outta be a salesman to pitch Ohio tourism or something, but every time I wish I lived somewhere else, I find that there are glitches with that area too. so just stay here.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's fulla friggin Buckeyes. sick 'nuff said.

Go north young man.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Don't live in the city. Pick an suburb. The difference is night and day.

I always had issues with finding somewhere besides state property local to where I was. I hunted friends and friends of friends property.

Fishing was always ok. Not great. Lots of lakes, but lots of people who like to fish.

I always thought of Columbus as one of the largest small towns you will ever find. It has all the large town stuff, but if you look lost someone will stop and give you directions and they are correct directions. Well, you go down to where the first Wendy's restaurant was and then go down to where big bear was then.....

If you tell us the company, we may be able to give you some incite.

I love this place at night. The stars ... there's no right or wrong in them. They're just there.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Now a little negative:
Like any other big city, Columbus itself in the older inner city has a lot of poorer to midlin' areas,and some ghetto as well.
The outer areas are newer and generally nicer.

The best areas and most expensive are the suburban communities around the outerbelt. Dublin used to have a lot of yuppies that bought expensive showy new houses, and then couldn't afford the furniture to fill them up.

Concealed carry requires a permit, but not that hard to get. We are a 'shall issue" state. The CC law has improved a lot over the years from some of the restrictions in the early law.The Franklin County sheriff may not be quick to process the applications, but you can always go to an adjacent county to file the application. Open carry is legal. but not recommended.

In any case, welcome to Ohio, if this deal works out for you.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,822
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.