-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
couple of odd parts i really like over the general stuff are BCM's Gunfighter grip, the reduced angle feels much better to me and their charging handles which supposedly take the pressure off the roll pin, i just like the better purchase the longer version gives.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I'm not planning on building a safe full of these things,.

that is funny right there, it always starts off as oh I will just build one. they are fun to play with. I am waiting on some more funds so I can buy more parts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I went with Seekins because I'm not planning on building a safe full of these things, plus I want quality parts on my 1 or 2 AR's and Seekins is right up there in quality.

I understand where you're coming from but that is how I see it.

One of my match winners is/was an EA lower, 35 bucks IIRC many moons ago.....
But you can't go wrong with Seekins.

Don't skimp on the barrel if you are picky on accuracy. 18 minimum, which leads to why not 20. But much over 20 velocity wise seems to end up with not so much gains. Rifle gas system by far with an 18.

YOu can built one in not much time at all. I'd do it when coming through if I had tools with me... but you have that covered.

Walmart have food in ER?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Buy the best trigger and stainless barrel you can afford. WOA, Noveske, Lilja to name a few. Pic a free float rail that is comfortable. Lots of options here, but one suited to your needs. The Keymod rails are nice and offer flexibility.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, yes, the Walmart in ER has food, lots of it. When are you coming up?

Grand, I've got a Geiselle trigger coming along with the Seekins lower, it came highly recommended by my builder.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I'm not planning on building a safe full of these things,.

that is funny right there, it always starts off as oh I will just build one. they are fun to play with. I am waiting on some more funds so I can buy more parts.

Don't even start, I've got so much going on besides building this rifle that building a safe full is out of the question.

I'm sure the wife will like shooting mine once it's built, which means I will have to have one built for her, hence my "1 or 2 AR" statement in my last post to you. wink

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Right on, 18" minimum it is, was thinking 16" due to weight but i'll run longer if weight gain is minimal.

I prefer the 16 inch on a working carbine. The 18 inch will offer 100fps more at the muzzle.

In cold weather the rifle length gas on an 18 can be problematic. Needs a minimum port of 0.100 (for below zero temps) and big ports can have adverse effects on accuracy. For a field gun that will see use at low temps I would prefer the midlength (9 inch) gas system.

Even a lot of 16 inch middy barrels are under gassed for real cold weather reliability.

Are you using a carbine buffer system or rifle buffer system?

I went with Seekins because I'm not planning on building a safe full of these things, plus I want quality parts on my 1 or 2 AR's and Seekins is right up there in quality.

I understand where you're coming from but that is how I see it.

As you spent the coin on the lower I would get the Seekins upper so it matches. Mixing different brands of billet or mixing forged with billet can look a little off.

Have a look at the Midwest Industries rails. The new Lightweight M-LOK handguard is under 9 ozs. I like it a bunch, while not as heavy duty as the Geissle MK1s it is a great choice if you are trying to shave weight.

M-LOK Handguard

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have not discussed the buffer set up with my builder yet, which would you recommend?

I like that handguard setup, that's the type of setup i'm looking to add to my AR.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use both but find the rifle length is usually my pick. The Magpul MOE riflestock works well in field shooting.

MOE Riflestock

Rifle length advantages:

Better spring rate and heavier buffer keeps the carrier in place slightly longer. Smooths out the recoil cycle and helps with 5.56 pressure loads.

Fixed stock is easier to shoot precisely.

Fixed stock is fixed, you won't grab the carbine and need to adjust the stock back to the right length of pull.

Rifle length Disadvantages:

Heavier.

Can't be adjusted for kids or wives.

The A-5 buffer system is a hybrid that uses the rifle spring with an adjustable stock and while it is not cheap it does offer some of the advantages of both systems.

A-5 buffer system

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
John, how bad to the guns shoot if the upper looks different than the lower. LOL.

Good advice as always.

AK- flight up on Sept 5, flight out Sept 20.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW I dont' like 16 ONLY due to the noise....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
John, how bad to the guns shoot if the upper looks different than the lower. LOL.

Good advice as always.

AK- flight up on Sept 5, flight out Sept 20.

Jeff

I'm leaving the morning of the 6th for moose camp, you flying into Anchorage or Squarebanks on the 5th?

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ANC arrives the 5th around typical midnight IIRC. Drive from there to Delta after I grab some stuff at walmart and or nap a bit...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dang late flights, I guess we'll have to shoot for next year. lol

Steelhead

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Noveske, KAC and a few others offer an intermediate gas system for their 18" barrels. I have a Noveske SPR contour that runs great with an H buffer Fromm 100+ to -5 or so which is as cold as I've shot it in.

I like Seekins' stuff but billet is a few ounces heavier than forged. Add in a heavier hand guard, buffers, barrels and such, it's not unusual to wind up with a 10 lb gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the seekins stuff will not make your gun any more accurate or better functioning. it will just look cooler and give you bragging rights. thats fine with me, just know thats the deal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd throw Glen rings on it.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking I might go with the Seekins billet 223 upper because I don't want to be limited on rail selections.

I just went and looked at thier IRMT uppers. Those are pretty slick!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Right on, 18" minimum it is, was thinking 16" due to weight but i'll run longer if weight gain is minimal.

I'd run AWAY from all the JipJap Mall Ninja Fluff Bullschit and phuqq all the stupid rails.

For Utility,I'm happy with an overmolded Hogue and a sling stud located to accept a Harris Swivel bi-pod.

They rock in the cold and a floated barrel,is a floated barrel...............

I would heed the advice on the hogue tube. I hunted last year with my 6.8 exclusively and the Nordic tube was a cold mofo to hang onto! Last year was very cold the first few days rifle season was open. I will definitely be picking up a hogue for this year.

I run a 15" MI SS gen 2 on my 18" 556. That tube is very comfortable fit wise with gloves. Still cold to hang on to though.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a proponent of practical functionality/utility. I know it's in vogue as of late,to see how much JipJap Fluff one can dangle off of a Black Rifle,but I reckon I'm the antithesis.

Less is soooooooo much more.

'Course I shoot a smidge,so my preferences are jaded in that accord.....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 3,524 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,634
Posts18,533,297
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.