Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
http://www.wbay.com/story/26375754/officials-girl-accidentally-kills-gun-instructor

This is so wrong on so many levels!
Sad situation indeed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds pretty much like it was self inflicted by the instructor...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sorry, but stupid should hurt.

I feel bad for the kid though. That will be tough to live with.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, that pretty much defines stupid. You see enough safety lapses with kids that age on a trap range with an instructor standing right next to a shooter and the instructor handing one shell at a time. The instructor keeps it safe so errant shots hit the back of the trap house at worst. Something unexpected happens and it all goes to hell, even a failure to feed that one shell when the action closes.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Poor girl will feel that sting the rest of her life. Prayers sent for all involved. Very sad deal, and will probably have big repercussions.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Darwin Award and/or Gene pool cleansing.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nine yo is too young to handle a firearm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I don't think so.
I bought my oldest daughter her first rifle when she was 6...she killed her first deer when she was 8.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Damn, someone should have let my old man know. I was shooting at 5.

Last edited by Stush; 08/26/14.

Stush
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stupid on many fronts. One being allowing a 9 year old to handle anything but a .22 single-shot.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

To young to handle THAT firearm. My boys were both shooting at 7.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Really depends on the individual and circumstance. Even in a very controlled and closely supervised setting, 4-H trap, some kids can't do it safely even with individual instruction. We explain the safety issues to the parents and invite the kid to try again next year. Others do wonderfully and I wouldn't mind hunting with them, closely supervised of course. Most fall somewhere in between.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My daughter passed hunter's safety, including range exercise, at age 9 and 1 month. Hell, I only beat her score by one answer (the only one she got wrong).

Carried a gun in the field, completely safely, since she was ten. Matter of fact, I'd rather have her around me at 9, than my son at 14.....

No absolutes about when kids are mature enough.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. What kind of trip was that parent on? A 1/2 second lapse of attention with kids, and life can go terribly wrong.

I suspect there are many here that were shooting independently at relatively young ages. Started as a teen in my case, and it was only luck that got me or someone around me through with no injuries.

Several of my friends spout off pre-teen experiences, and near every one of them can relate a couple "near hit" adventures.

Some of the ages I hear today, will land a parent in jail if something goes wrong.

A college buddy of mine raised his two kids on a ranch with guns in every corner. At a reunion with about a dozen of us around a couple of us questioned the practice. Trusted them to no end, as their curiosity about arms had long since passsed. One day about a year later, little sis was late coming home from school and found her 12 year old brother dead in the parent's bedroom. Seems he decided to toy with dad's 44. The marriage did not last either.

I tend to error on the conservatice side. Two issues: 1. I love the kids, and 2. I'm not about to give up my net worth in a lawsuit.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/26/14.

1Minute
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if the question is whether SOME 9 year olds can handle guns.

But more the question of what justifies it?

I didn't get to shoot a gun, outside of a few very limited instances, until I was old enough to get a hunting license. No harm done here.

BB guns are plenty of gun to keep a kid excited.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fond memories of my dad teaching me how to shoot (safely!) at a range and the first time hunting when I was ten. (Yes, legal. There was absolutely no excuse for me ever violating a law.) Didn't shoot anything, didn't even see anything to shoot at. Still miss the old man very much. BB gun first, and it was treated like a firearm at all times. Stored away from me too when not in use - guns were considered family property with access only when there was a good purpose and as Dad saw fit. A good ploy for safety.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just have to wonder how many of yall have kids. 9 is plenty old enough to shoot. Not old enough to shoot automatic weapons, but certainly old enough to shoot. Both my kids started with single shot 22s off a bench at 5 years old. They soon progressed from there to other appropriate rifles and handguns.

The parents and the instructor were very wrong to allow this to happen. I feel for the girl having to live with this. The problem however was not 9 year olds shooting guns but adults without the sense to know what is appropriate and what isn't.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
shooting a fully automatic handgun is not safe for most children. some maybe, but not most. this happened a few years ago as well with a young man shooting a small full-auto handgun except that he shot himself with it.

that gun range is liable for allowing that in my opinion. WTF were they thinking?

My diploma is a DD214
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said.

Last line says it all.
Should have been loaded w/ a single round.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.