Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
guns clubs, shooting ranges, etc.? What is everyone's opinion?
I believe background checks should be done on all members and if you are a convicted felon, you should not even have a firearm, much less be a member. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

NRA Benefactor life member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Depends on the felony and how rehabilitated one has become.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
according to the charge. Tax evasion and domestic violence are opposite ends of the spectrum. I wouldn't mind shooting beside someone who cheated on their taxes, etc.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
according to the charge. Tax evasion and domestic violence are opposite ends of the spectrum. I wouldn't mind shooting beside someone who cheated on their taxes, etc.

Pretty sure you already do. They just ain't got caught . . . . . grin

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This sort of thinking from the OP is how more and more gun control is passed.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Our club does do background checks. Also, I agree that it would depend on the felony and when it took place. It could have happened as a teenager and they are now 50+ and never had any more trouble. I believe it is better to forgive and forget.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't know how i feel about it, but it reminds me of a personal story. In the dark ages, when i was playing popo as a reserve i passed the oral interview which was a formality anyway as they all knew me, but i was approved to wear a uniform and go out on patrol. I had a hesitation that i brought up that i didn't want to do that not being armed. The question I got was "are you going to shoot anybody that doesn't need shooting?" I answered probably not, okay you can have a gun. The very next weekend i was facing down a drunk with a .357mag revolver behind whiskey row that was threatening to kill somebody. I am not even sure they RAN a background check on me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a friend who got on pills when he was young. He sold a few to pay for a few for himself. Went to jail for 2 years. The system sets these guys up for failure but he did his probationary time, paid his officer, kept his nose clean and is now a really good dude. I'm in the mindset of most that have already posted,, depends on what they did. Tax evation cool, domestic violence not cool, child molester, yeah I'll shoot with you but I will probably have an accident that will result in a large hole in your head.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The bill of Rights does not restrict felons from owning firearms.

A right denied to one will become a right denied to all.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elkhunter3006

Agreed. If they can't be trusted with a full slate of rights, either don't release them from prison or bury them.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by headhunter130
guns clubs, shooting ranges, etc.? What is everyone's opinion?
I believe background checks should be done on all members and if you are a convicted felon, you should not even have a firearm, much less be a member. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

why not. in many states they can work in restaurants kitchens and serve food while they are treated for aids, hiv, impetigo, scabies, tb, herpes, lice, flu, colds etc.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I know guys in their 40's who got convicted of felony assault at the age of 20, served a little time, who are fine upstanding citizens.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seems like there is a question on ATF Form 4473 that asks if the purchaser has ever been convicted of a felony. Not sure what happens if you answer yes...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of club membership being an issue. A firearm in hand, however, is another deal entirely.

1Minute
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Elkhunter3006

It used to be that once a person "paid their debt to society" they had all of their rights. Now a felon never gets all of their rights back. Look at all the laws that make a person a felon if they violate them. It seems the bar gets lower all the time.

Our club does not perform background checks. We are not the police. Abide by the club rules and you are fine. As to felons, don't ask , don't tell is our unofficial policy.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 700LH
This sort of thinking from the OP is how more and more gun control is passed.

Completely disagree.

This is a private & voluntary club/association we're talking about, not the government.

Private clubs & associations should be free to operate in whatever fashion and under whatever rules the members deem appropriate.

As to the question... I am old school. If a person has paid his debt to society I have no problem shooting next to him.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Did a murderer who served 8 of a 24 year sentence serve his time?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a fight with your brother, get convicted of domestic violence.
Not all dv's are created equal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the individual can legally own a gun, IMHO he or she has every right to join a hunting or shooting club.

Gun clubs seem to be rife with busy bodies and doo gooders. Me thinks we'd be better off if folks spent more time minding their own business.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by eyeball
Did a murderer who served 8 of a 24 year sentence serve his time?

If he has not escaped from prison yeah.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.