Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
depends

did he escape or get paroled?

if paroled, he can have civil rights denied to him until his paper sentence is served.

but I'm with 4ager and others, once your debt is paid, it's paid

the same logic that folks use to support denial should work for bankers

yeah you paid for your house, but we're still gonna charge you interest.

you've either satisfied your debt or you haven't.

I've seen nada to make me believe modern gov't and their laws are as fair and just as the gov't our FF's created. YMMV

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Truth be known, most here would be felons if caught for all the sheit they pulled.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Elkhunter3006
The bill of Rights does not restrict felons from owning firearms.

A right denied to one will become a right denied to all.

Agreed. If they can't be trusted with a full slate of rights, either don't release them from prison or bury them.
EXACTLY!!

The way we treat felons in this nation is appalling. If they have done their time, then they have paid their debt to society and their full rights ought to be restored. If they are not fit to be a full member of society, then they either stay in prison, or they get a needle full of happy juice.

But we send someone to jail for 30 years, and then hand this stigma over their heads that prevents them from ever getting a job, renting apartments/housing, etc. We make it next to impossible for them to joint a normal society, and then wonder why they return to crime.

If they can't be a full citizen, we shouldn't let them out; simple as that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
This sort of thinking from the OP is how more and more gun control is passed.

Completely agree. It's a good idea as a private effort, public records checks are cheap and easy. But to legally impose that burden, and potentially liability criminal or civil, is not right. You just know the Brady bunch would be all over this one. A felon knows he cannot possess a firearm and it is HIS obligation to obey the law or suffer the consequences.

On felons in possession reform is needed. Met a guy a few years ago working at a furniture store. He said he was convicted of a felony during high school days and wanted to legally possess a shotgun for pheasant hunting with friends and family. The crime, forgot the specifics, was barely a felony and fell into the category of stupid kid stuff. Every indication he straightened out and is a good citizen.

Best I could tell him is to apply to the Board of Pardons and Paroles and hope for the best. Though often given by the governor to restore hunting privileges a pardon is absolutely discretionary and a long, involved process at best.

Sucks like a Dyson.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't feel to bad for them.

Some felons can have gun rights reinstated. Others, meh, fugg 'em.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on what their occupation is. Per federal law, LE/MIL who have been convicted of felonies(not including domestic violence convictions of the felony or even misdemeanor varieties) can possess firearms for duty use so no reason they should not be able to join your gun club/shooting range.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's not just felonies that can keep you from purchasing a firearm. I just purchased another toy and actually read the form this time. I was shocked to see that if someone has been convicted of a misdemeanor that could have placed them in jail for two or more years, they are restricted from making the purchase. They can still complete the form and then apply for an exception after the application has been denied. The gun dealer holds the firearm for up to 100 days while the appeal is being processed.

Give the gov an inch....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Gun clubs seem to be rife with busy bodies and doo gooders. M

Amen, brother.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
depends

if paroled, he can have civil rights denied to him until his paper sentence is served.

I've seen nada to make me believe modern gov't and their laws are as fair and just as the gov't our FF's created. YMMV

Good post. Bottom line is that people would rather live with criminals then pay for their incarceration.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by ro1459
.... I was shocked to see that if someone has been convicted of a misdemeanor that could have placed them in jail for two or more years, they are restricted from making the purchase.

The legal definition of a felony is a crime the penalty for which is more than a year in prison. Consequently, I never have seen a two year sentence for a misdemeanor.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
depends

Good post. Bottom line is that people would rather live with criminals then pay for their incarceration.

Yep, and if felons want to ever legally lay a hand on a firearm again they need to join the countries armed forces(.mil or LE) and they can have access to weaponry far beyond what can be trusted to civilians.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24243460/ns/us_news-military/t/more-felons-allowed-enlist-army-marines/

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun All clubs seem to be rife with busy bodies and doo gooders.

Fixed it for you. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If someone is a dangerous felon, why the fugg are they out of jail?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie

'Cause they had to make room for a new dangerous felon. That's how it works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our club requires a Concealed Carry Permit, in order to get that you have to be able to pass the states background check.

We don't want convicts in the gun club.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Our club requires a Concealed Carry Permit, in order to get that you have to be able to pass the states background check.

We don't want convicts in the gun club.

Mike

Why would you not want a soldier or police officer in your club simply because they were a felon?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24243460/ns/us_news-military/t/more-felons-allowed-enlist-army-marines/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Elkhunter3006
The bill of Rights does not restrict felons from owning firearms.

A right denied to one will become a right denied to all.

Agreed. If they can't be trusted with a full slate of rights, either don't release them from prison or bury them.
EXACTLY!!

The way we treat felons in this nation is appalling. If they have done their time, then they have paid their debt to society and their full rights ought to be restored. If they are not fit to be a full member of society, then they either stay in prison, or they get a needle full of happy juice.

But we send someone to jail for 30 years, and then hand this stigma over their heads that prevents them from ever getting a job, renting apartments/housing, etc. We make it next to impossible for them to joint a normal society, and then wonder why they return to crime.

If they can't be a full citizen, we shouldn't let them out; simple as that.

I've been saying that for years but it falls on deaf ears. The government wants as many felons as possible for the government's own reasons and none of those reasons are good ones.

Last edited by derby_dude; 08/28/14.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is that a Long Island accent?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by goalie

'Cause they had to make room for a new dangerous felon. That's how it works.

Holy Smokes,....

There I was, all cooled out for the evening.

Revolving door dittos, LT

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.