Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the seekins stuff will not make your gun any more accurate or better functioning. it will just look cooler and give you bragging rights. thats fine with me, just know thats the deal.

Noted, glad you're ok with it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260madman
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Right on, 18" minimum it is, was thinking 16" due to weight but i'll run longer if weight gain is minimal.

I'd run AWAY from all the JipJap Mall Ninja Fluff Bullschit and phuqq all the stupid rails.

For Utility,I'm happy with an overmolded Hogue and a sling stud located to accept a Harris Swivel bi-pod.

They rock in the cold and a floated barrel,is a floated barrel...............

I would heed the advice on the hogue tube. I hunted last year with my 6.8 exclusively and the Nordic tube was a cold mofo to hang onto! Last year was very cold the first few days rifle season was open. I will definitely be picking up a hogue for this year.

I run a 15" MI SS gen 2 on my 18" 556. That tube is very comfortable fit wise with gloves. Still cold to hang on to though.

I used the Hogue tube when it was introduced over 20 years ago. It was a pretty good answer at the time but the overmolding did little in cold weather. It also has a propensity for the threaded section to come loose.

[Linked Image]

With the large selection of float tubes/hand guards available now days the Hogue is too heavy for my use and if a guy wants some rubber a bike inner tube on one of the the more useful hand guards would work just as well. There are some pretty good poly panels that will mount on the rail and those should offer more protection from the cold aluminum.

Of course a guy could just wear gloves. grin

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started with a basic A2, shot a bit, swapped out a bit and finally learned what works for me by trying a good dozen different set ups. I know what I like and will gladly share my findings but in the end, it's all up to each individual to find same.

There's not much this carbean won't do and it suits me just fine.
[Linked Image]
Everything you need, nothing you don't and it weighs a tad over 7 lbs if I remember right.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 10rd Stoners,phuqq the Loudener,gimme the Hogue and make it a 6x FF MQ.

If only for starters................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey the 90's want their AR back... Grin

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They can't have it................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by 260madman
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Right on, 18" minimum it is, was thinking 16" due to weight but i'll run longer if weight gain is minimal.

I'd run AWAY from all the JipJap Mall Ninja Fluff Bullschit and phuqq all the stupid rails.

For Utility,I'm happy with an overmolded Hogue and a sling stud located to accept a Harris Swivel bi-pod.

They rock in the cold and a floated barrel,is a floated barrel...............

I would heed the advice on the hogue tube. I hunted last year with my 6.8 exclusively and the Nordic tube was a cold mofo to hang onto! Last year was very cold the first few days rifle season was open. I will definitely be picking up a hogue for this year.

I run a 15" MI SS gen 2 on my 18" 556. That tube is very comfortable fit wise with gloves. Still cold to hang on to though.

I used the Hogue tube when it was introduced over 20 years ago. It was a pretty good answer at the time but the overmolding did little in cold weather. It also has a propensity for the threaded section to come loose.

[Linked Image]

With the large selection of float tubes/hand guards available now days the Hogue is too heavy for my use and if a guy wants some rubber a bike inner tube on one of the the more useful hand guards would work just as well. There are some pretty good poly panels that will mount on the rail and those should offer more protection from the cold aluminum.

Of course a guy could just wear gloves. grin

[Linked Image]

My circulation in my hands is so bad I have to use heat packs in my gloves if the temp is 45 or colder. I thought about wrapping some foam to my Nordic but then the tube diameter increases. If it was just a hunt from a stand gun I would do it.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes to the 10rd stoners. Can't bring myself to run a 20rd while hunting.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TWR
I started with a basic A2, shot a bit, swapped out a bit and finally learned what works for me by trying a good dozen different set ups. I know what I like and will gladly share my findings but in the end, it's all up to each individual to find same.

There's not much this carbean won't do and it suits me just fine.
[Linked Image]
Everything you need, nothing you don't and it weighs a tad over 7 lbs if I remember right.

I like that rig. If and when I build another upper, I'll try one of those Troy FF tubes. They look good, are very light and allow you to attach rail sections or panels where you want them.

I can' tell for sure what stock you have there, but it looks kinda like the operator adjustable on my RRA.

I really like the RRA operator stocks, both the A2 fixed and the adjustable shown here. They don't rattle as much as the Magpul Moe I've had, come with a QD sling socket, and have a wider comb area that suits my face better than the magpul's I have.

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 08/28/14.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is a B5 SOPMOD stock. I have a few LMT SOPMODs as well but prefer the B5 for the rotation limited QD sling socket. They fit tight and don't rattle at all.

The Troy Alpha rail is comfortable to me, light weight, long enough at 13" to "drive" it better and when it gets cold I wear gloves.

The barrel is a Colt chrome lined 1/7 pencil barrel with the FSB shaved down, re parkerized and utilizes the factory pins. It shoots 1.5 MOA with ease with the Smith Vortex "loudener" that eliminates all flash but more importantly, takes the bite out of the bang. The carbine gas is done right and with a H2 buffer is pleasant to shoot.

The TA33 ACOG has the green horseshoe reticle with lines out to 600 yards, I've only used this one to 400 yards but for most practical uses, that's far enough. Eye relief is good and it works for me up close as well. It's mounted in a LaRue QD mount which is lower than the factory mount that fits me perfectly, so I can run the flip up Troy irons for practice.

Last edited by TWR; 08/28/14.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used several different types of type,from friction to various thicknesses of electrical.

Pass the Hogue................(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd happily run 5's if they were lower profile,for punching tags..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a variety of AR's - and various tubes & rails. I think I like the Daniel Defense quad rails best as they are slim & light, and comfortable with the skeleton-type magpul rail covers installed. There's plenty of places to hang any accessories you might want, if you want them. I have a forward grip & BUIS on the house gun but otherwise I seldom have any other doodads, besides optics.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.