Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
K9s are not a lethal force instrument.

George

Thanks George. I've been retired for several years and thought maybe something had changed, you know since all the cops are now patrolling in armored tanks and carrying RPG's as a sidearm............. grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RDFinn
That is one of the reasons K-9's are used Hawkeye. As far as a dog being a "lethal weapon", well yes, an untrained dog could be. I've worked with a K-9 and his handler and have attended many K-9 competitions and I never walked away thinking any of those animals were trained to kill.
Not with that intention in mind, certainly, but any severe bodily injury can result in death.

You can fall in the shower too and die..........what is your point ? K-9's will bite to subdue a subject and will usually continue to do so until said POS stops resisting or is commanded by the handler to do so. You need to listen to guys like NH-K9 instead of pretending to know what your talking about on this subject. It appears that you know little about it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hawkeye seems reluctant to acknowledge a difference between a bite-to-hold and a savage mauling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thus, he was a victim.

As much so as Bill Clinton was a victim of angry conservatives for blowing a load in a fat pig...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's the difference between a pit bull and a trained K-9 coupled with his ignorance on the subject.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Mac84
It's not uncommon to use a dog to apprehend a fleeing suspect.
Perhaps that's the problem.

Perhaps you feel qualified to explain the standard K9s need to achieve to certify or the circumstances necessary to deploy an apprehension trained dog........

George

Still waiting.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Still waiting.

I hear you're in reasonably great shape.

Should bode well for you in case, by some chance, you are actually holding your breath while you wait.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
As far as I am concerned, the idiot was killed for resisting arrest with a deadly weapon.

That's about the way I took it from the get go. Just as the article stated
laugh The dog wasn't trying to arrest him. The dog was tearing him up.

He was reacting accordingly...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Hawkeye seems reluctant to acknowledge a difference between a bite-to-hold and a savage mauling.

He's reluctant to acknowledge a lot of things...either that or his reading comprehension skills suck

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
As far as I am concerned, the idiot was killed for resisting arrest with a deadly weapon.

He was reacting accordingly...

The story doesn't say the dog was tearing up the suspect. Does Hawkeye have access to a different story?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps he read it in the Morgan chronicles......... grin

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are talking about Obi-Dog Kin-obi.

When that K-9 was doing his business, TRH felt a great disturbance in the farce.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hope somebody here posts a followup on the investigation...
I'd be interested to know what his arrest record's like, as well as the toxicology report.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RWE
You guys are talking to about Obi-Dog Kin-obi.

When that K-9 was doing his business, TRH felt a great disturbance in the farce.

That right there is funny...good sig line material. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

The dog was being used as a tool to affect the arrest.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let us always remember that no matter how atached to our dogs we may be, they are not people and we cannot go down the slippery slope of giving them the same protections.

Last edited by safariman; 08/28/14. Reason: deleted

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Mac84
It's not uncommon to use a dog to apprehend a fleeing suspect.

It is also not uncommon for LE to murder innocent citizens.

I don't know what kind of LE you have in Southern California, but the LE out here do not make a habit of killing innocent citizens. ..not even close. It would be highly "uncommon" for this situation to happen here. They do have a k-9 unit, and I know the dog would be used to chase down a fleeing suspect. It's not uncommon for guilty citizens to run.

And I thought it was common to be considered innocent until proven guilty.

And apprehend is not the same as shoot and kill.

People are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. This doesn't stop police from responding to violent situations all over the country every minute of every day. I believe this man was told to stop [for a good reason] and kept running.

I believe the LE was done with the "apprehend" after the citizen failed to stop what he was doing and put down his weapon. Just my take on it. It will be interesting to see what comes of this and how much information was left out from the beginning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Upon further reflection, I am seeing this in a different light. A man was killed. Dead forever with no chance of a new life, over a purely property crime. This should never occur.

If a person is stealing my stuff, no matter what stuff, no matter what stuff it is or how valuable, he will never see the business end of any of my weapons. Whether that weapon be a gun, knife or dog. All can cause injury, scarring and or death. If a dog is biting me, whether it be a pit bull, a poodle or a K-9, I am going to fight back with whatever I have on hand to make the biting and pain stop as soon as possible. This is a reaction that is so deeply ingrained into our DNA and sub-concieousness that to try to hold a person accountable for action during a large dog vs person encounter is beyond silly and wholly unreasonable.

The perp may have been a multi offending career criminal, but he did not deserve a death sentence. Nor should any person stabbing any dog be given a death sentence. A criminals live is a human life. A dog is a dog, no matter how noble or highly trained that dog might be, or how atached we might be to that dog.

Slightly outside the scope of this conversation, but very pertinent is this: If we begin to ascribe the right to life that we have to a dog, ANY dog or other animal, then the animal rights groups have great moral ground and standing, as well as CASE HISTORY then, with which to attack those of us who hunt. All that wouod then have to be established is the supposed nobility of this or that anumal, or someone's emotional atatchment to an animal or species and POOF! hunters are then classed as murderers and deserving of capitol punishment. In some cases imeediately and without trial by the person who ascribed nobility or emotional atatchment to said animal.

I do not think that any of us, and I am a dog lover with three of them, can afford to go down that road. We as a people and nation cannot go down that road.

It is sad that this fine dog died, truly. But the man who was stabbing it was acting in reasonable and expected self defense at that particular moment of time. The officer was not in danger as far as we know, and if this is the case (no imminent danger to the officer) he is in grave error here.

As I see it, if you use dogs as tools for apprehension, know that you unleashing an animal on a human being who might react -and reasonably so - in great fear and in a life or death defensive manner.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

What happened

About 8:45 p.m., police were called to a business burglary at 7233 S Air Depot Blvd. Officers saw a man drive away and pursued.

Looks good.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers led the pursuit when the driver was speeding southbound on Interstate 35 in Norman, Oklahoma City police Capt. Dexter Nelson said.

Troopers used tactics to end the pursuit near the Goldsby exit on I-35, where the vehicle hit a ditch west of the highway, Nelson said.

Reckless, dangerous driving by the robbery suspect. Using "tactics" to force him off the road looks pretty good to me.

Oklahoma City K9 officers and gang unit officers stayed back with troopers until the driver got out of the vehicle and started running south near the service road.

Can't let this guy go. True, the officers don't have an arrest warrant and the guy hasn't been indicted by a grand jury, but he's exhibiting dangerous behavior and has committed criminal acts in full view of the pursuing officers; reckless driving and fleeing/attempting to elude.

A K9 officer, who later was identified as Stark, let the police dog chase the driver.

The story doesn't say, but I think it's reasonable to suppose that the officers have been screaming "stop!" ever since the suspect got out of his car. He didn't stop. The story doesn't say, but we might consider the possibility that he was running faster than any of the officers.

The K9, later identified as Kye, apprehended the driver as he ran behind a business, police said.

Stark made his way to the man�s location to pull the dog off of the man, at which point he saw the driver had a knife and was stabbing the police dog, police said. Stark was in close proximity to the driver at the time, police said.

The story doesn't say how long Stark was in close proximity to the suspect while the suspect was stabbing the dog. The story doesn't say how many times the suspect stabbed the dog while Stark was in close proximity. The story doesn't say what Stark was saying to the suspect between the time that Stark came into close proximity and the time Stark shot the suspect. I would like more information about this.

Stark fatally shot the man, and the police dog was taken to a veterinarian for emergency surgery.

Based on what we know - from the story - I'd be inclined to trust the officer's judgment in fatally shooting the suspect. Pending more information on the subject above.

From a legal standpoint, a K9 is considered a tool that an officer uses, Nelson said. However, police officers view them as partners, he said.

A police officer could not shoot a person solely for attacking a K9 dog, but officers are trained that they can use lethal force when they are within 21 to 25 feet of a person with a knife if the situation warrants, Nelson said.

The suspect was in close proximity and - I'm speculating, here - may have been within 21 to 25 feet of the officer while the suspect was shanking the dog an unknown number of time and - again, I'm speculating, here - the officer is screaming something to the effect of "Put down the knife!" and the suspect didn't put down the knife. If subsequent information doesn't materially conflict with what we know from a news story posted on the internet, I'm inclined to think that the officer acted correctly.

Mark, read the post I'm quoting & tell me what you disagree with.

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 08/28/14.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by safariman
It is sad that this fine dog died, truly. But the man who was stabbing it was acting in reasonable and expected self defense at that particular moment of time. The officer was not in danger as far as we know, and if this is the case (no imminent danger to the officer) he is in grave error here.

As I see it, if you use dogs as tools for apprehension, know that you unleashing an animal on a human being who might react -and reasonably so - in great fear and in a life or death defensive manner.
Exactly right.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,756
Posts18,514,833
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.