Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DANL2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Winchester Customer Service recently informed me that beginning in 2013, Model 70 rifles would be assembled in Portugal. Incidentally, this is similar to a number of browning guns.

I would be interested to hear of experience anyone has had with these new Model 70's with regard to quality and accuracy. I am especially interested in the Extreme Weather SS.

Thank you.

Dan

Last edited by DANL2; 08/31/14.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
WOW! Assembled in Portugal! shocked

I had no earthly idea this was going on!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just picked up a new long action Featherweight that I haven't had time to shoot yet. It is stamped "Assembled in Portugal" and "Made in the USA". Fit and finish is about like my SC rifles. The stock is the darkest walnut I have ever seen. So much for made in Belgium.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
DANL2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Interesting. Thank you for the information.

Last edited by DANL2; 08/31/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They make the parts here in SC, then ship them to Portugal to assemble��

Its not rocket surgery�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned a couple of Browning Hi-Powers that had components made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. Both were well-made, nicely finished firearms. If I wanted a new Model 70, I would have a much harder time getting my head around the new trigger.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The "assembled in Portugal" part has been known for quite sometime. This is the first I've heard of parts made in Belgium. Personally I don't see either as a negative, and it may be the best thing to happen to the model 70. Time will tell.

I have an EW in 308 made in SC. The Portugal assembled guns will have to go a long way to better it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have owned a couple of Browning Hi-Powers that had components made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. Both were well-made, nicely finished firearms. If I wanted a new Model 70, I would have a much harder time getting my head around the new trigger.

Spot on. Browning has been doing it for awhile�.no bobbles.
The new trigger is a PITA, but if you can get the sealant off of it, you can adjust it somewhat. It isn't terrible, like the Remington XMP�.

D
DANL2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you for the information. Perhaps I was misinformed about "with components made in Belgium".

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
The new trigger is a PITA, but if you can get the sealant off of it, you can adjust it somewhat. It isn't terrible, like the Remington XMP�.

I've had more than a couple of Browning shotguns that were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. No complaints here.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by ingwe

I've had more than a couple of Browning shotguns that were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. No complaints here.

Agreed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will say though, that I've always much preferred the Browning shotgun to ANY Browning rifle.

That is bang/buck and compared to others in the same price/category the shotgun is much better than the rifle.

I'd buy a Browning shotgun without reservation, there's not enough of anything in the world to have me do the same for their rifles.

Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 16penny, 405winash, 35, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,650
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.