Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootem
Hey GaryVA...what's the easiest way to get the extractor out. Looks like pushing the plunger back into the bolt face should allow it to pop out but mine won't cooperate. I want to take a good look at the extractor hook itself. Can't get a real good look at it while mounted but doesn't seem to be much purchase area there.

I originally cleaned and prepped my bolt with TW25B leaving no residue. I have since removed the TW25B and have converted over to Froglube. Removing the cocking piece and firing pin is simple with two hands, but I needed an extra pair of hands for the extractor. I used a detent spring tool I have to detail strip a 1911 to fully compress the coil spring so the plunger was fully seated within the recess. I then used an extra set of hands to fish out the extractor from the bolt body.

Not sure where things stand with your bolt, but this is how mine is working. With bolt removed and in hand, take a cartridge case and place the base of case flat against bolt face below extractor. When you slide cartridge case upward against extractor, it should stop. You do not want the case head to loosely slide under the claw, and you do not want it so tight you must muscle case head under the claw. Best I can describe a proper fit and proper tension, the case snaps into place with an audible click as if it were a magnet.

As such, with bolt in hand oriented as if closed in the rifle and shouldered, the claw extractor holds the round into place and it does not fall out. It has the appearance of being one with the bolt.

Advantage of this 85 system vs. the 70 and 98, is you do not need to undercut the extractor for it to snap over a cartridge case inserted directly into the chamber. Therefore, I'd not want the spring tension so tight that it becomes difficult to do so.

Fit of the claw on my extractor is that it fills the groove of the case head and fully engages the cartridge over the entire extractor width. It would probably tear a chunk off the case head if the case were stuck solid inside the chamber.

I tried several commercial cases, with the poorest quality being HDY, and the fit was positive.

With bolt in hand and cartridge case snapped into place against bolt face, test the extractor claw by tilting the case to the opposite side of the claw. If good, the claw will hold and you'll feel a positive stop. You can roll the tilted case around toward the 12 o'clock position and still feel the claw grab and hold. As the case rolls around to the extractor position, it tilts out, same as ejection. So, if your claw was out of spec and/or the spring tension of the claw against the bolt was poor, then the claw would not hold the case and you may even be able to flip it out at the 12 o'clock position, or even earlier.

I'd make sure the parts fit well, without burrs, so they can move freely without binding. I suspect it possible going to a heavy spring merely masks such issue. But, if things are loose and move freely, with a good claw extractor, then maybe there are a batch of bad springs out there having insufficient strength. If I were switching to a stronger spring, I'd start heavy and shorten the stronger spring until I could snap the extractor over a case inserted directly into the chamber. I'd probably stop at that point and go no looser.

Good Luck!

Last edited by GaryVA; 08/30/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd own a Sako if I couldn't buy a Ruger, Savage, Remington, Weatherby, Marlin, Kimber.....

Thinking of trying something else also. This chit is getting boring as hell with every one I buy.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pat85,

What load is that?

I have a Sako 85 finnlight that is being cranky about 180 grain bullets but really likes 165's. Go figure.

Dink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
80.5 grains of h1000 . 180 grain accubond out of a 75 bedded in a Macmillan stock.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
+2 hillbilly....if it's so dang easy, why don't they do something about it?

Like I said before, I'll never buy another long action 85. FWIW, the Beretta rep for this part of the country is a local boy. He can tell you some stories relating to issues with the LA 85.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. crazy

In the few years you've been here, I've lost count how many rifles you've bought, put a couple boxes through, and then immediately sold. You've posted about correcting issues with Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, and a ton of Kimbers. I lost count and wouldn't be surprised if you went through two dozen Kimbers. The Kimber roulette bashers bothered you enough that you posted in great detail how you must tweak and tune Kimbers out the box so they function reliably. Correcting ill fitting mag boxes, loose bedding, etc., etc. You've even gone into detail on the SC M70s to check for and correct a loose and poorly fitting claw extractor that was much worse than the Sako in discussion here, in that it pulled straight over the cartridge case leaving it sitting in the chamber.

In all the great details you've covered on each and every rifle purchased and sold, you've made not one single mention of a Sako 85, other than posting you've had zero experience. And then suddenly, you come out of left field to jump on the pile bashing Sako 85s? Not one single peep of any attempts to make any corrections, like on the metric ton of Rems, Rugs, Wins, and Kims?? I find that surprising, coming from you, the guy who buys rifles like Imelda Marcos bought shoes, and who routinely goes through the rifle to vet, tweak, and modify until uber reliable.

All the long action 85 owners reporting great performance are not a fluke. Those having issues as described, appear to me to have issues with either fit and/or tension of the claw extractor. The person noted in this thread having the same issue, made a correction by increasing coil spring tension, to report now seeing stellar performance. Maybe the factory spring was indeed weak, or maybe the issue was machining burrs which were masked by going to a stiffer spring. Regardless, the Sako 85 is a production rifle out of Finland, not a hand fitted custom rifle. Beretta is merely an importer, and EuroOptic is merely a stocking dealer. Such a production rifle would likely benefit from the same vetting as any of the scores of favorite rifles you've needed to de-bugg and correct. wink

My favorite bolt gun continues to be a worked over and well built 98 or NH classic 70. Out the box production, my favorite continues to be a Sako. These have served me well.

Best smile

I just saw this and have a few comments to add.

I do buy and go through several rifles. Maybe it's because I like to experiment? By no means do I detail every rifle I purchase and I seldom bash any platform that's not worth bashing. There are several in the safe that have no mention here..

I've never "detailed" any issues with a SC M70 with a poorly or loose fitted extractor. I've been vocal about their triggers, but in don't recall any extraction issues with the 70's.

There are several rifles designs that benefit from tinkering and Kimber is one of the best platforms currently on the market.

I've only owned one 85. It was a stainless long action 270. It was truly a miserable piece of work. It shot extremely well, but ejected brass falling back in the chamber isn't my cup of tea. As I said earlier, I'm sure the issues aren't as frequent in the short actions.

I'll stand by my other statements. It's truly a poor design. The extractor is simply in the wrong place to work properly with a standing ejector at 6 o'clock. The problems are so frequent, the rep advises shops not to purchase long action 85's because of this issue. I'm no fan of their Optilock mounting system either, but that's another story.

They do have what I consider some desirable features. I like the safety and the magazine lock. They feed reliably and have what I consider the best factory barrel on the market (I'm no stranger to Tikka's). Maybe someday I'll buy a short action 85, maybe not?

I'm glad you enjoy your Sako's and obviously you've found a "fix". Just as I've stated about other manufacturers (including Kimber), if it's so easy why in the heck don't they fix it? It's not like they don't have knowledge of the issue...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pat85
I'd own a Sako if I couldn't buy a Ruger, Savage, Remington, Weatherby, Marlin, Kimber.....

Thinking of trying something else also. This chit is getting boring as hell with every one I buy.

[Linked Image]

I agree!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

I must be getting the short straw also.........

best I could do at 100 with my 75 in 260 Rem.

[Linked Image]

I'm using the 2.900 oal loading. for my go to hunting load.

[Linked Image]

wonder if he knew that it was a "short straw Sako"

JAFO,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Pretty funny to me how as the OP the train of conversation has drifted to "look at me I have a Sako 75 that works like it is supposed to."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

That's nice....but it's worthless if the thing doesn't work. frown

There is a lot more to a hunting rifle than just grouping ability.

Kinda like evaluating scopes based on the view and ignoring the mechanics of the thing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Pretty funny to me how as the OP the train of conversation has drifted to "look at me I have a Sako 75 that works like it is supposed to."

Hang around a while and you'll see quite a few threads that tend to meander, if you catch my drift......

And FWIW

I did get two bad Sakos in 338 Federal, the other two dozen or so from Riihimakis to 85's have been fine rifles.

JAFO,

GWB

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Your word ain't worth a squirt of dog piss.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

Kinda like evaluating scopes based on the view and ignoring the mechanics of the thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

[Linked Image]

No dog in this fight so to speak, but..........

Come on Rick, don't sugar coat it like that. Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Best,

GWB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Neither are your knives.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Neither are your knives.

Now I do have a dog in that fight.........

I sure as heck hope they are worth more than a squirt,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Blades/IMG_09161_zpsf90f319f.jpg[/img]

'cause I got a bunch of them..... LOL

More than JAFO, in this case.

GWB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[quote=rickmenefee]Your word ain't worth a squirt of dog piss.

Neither are your knives.[/quotet
U have just proven my point smile

Last edited by rickmenefee; 09/01/14.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Neither are your knives.

I've got a few others to compare to and have to disagree with your assessment.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I got one....I stopped there.

I keep it around so guys at the range can use it to pluck cases from Sako 85's that failed to eject.

If Ol' Rick wants to go on personal attack mode because I happen not to like rifles that don't function correctly, that's his business. Apparently this sort of rifle design doesn't bother him.He must own a pile of Sako's.I'll spend the money elsewhere, thanks.

Sizzle and no steak is always funny....I'm trying to be polite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As would 10,000 other people who own his knives..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't own a one. Can't put a good trigger in one. I don't run my mouth unless I KNOW of what I speak ;furthermore, I'm prone to tell the truth! smile
I got one....I stopped there.

I keep it around so guys at the range can use it to pluck cases from Sako 85's that failed to eject.

If Ol' Rick wants to go on personal attack mode because I happen not to like rifles that don't function correctly, that's his business. Apparently this sort of rifle design doesn't bother him.He must own a pile of Sako's.I'll spend the money elsewhere, thanks.

Sizzle and no steak is always funny....I'm trying to be polite.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,605
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.