Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I offered a trade deal on a gun to someone. He turned down the deal and I said it was just bad timing for me because I hadn't had time to recover my play money fund from some recent purchases.

The guy then offered to sell me the gun on payments with about half down. I would send the payment and he would send the gun and I would pay the rest within 4 months. I spoke on the phone and all seemed fine. We were about to do the deal when he asked me to send the money order payment in his wife's name.

Maybe I'm too paranoid but I told him I would have to pass on the deal. I feel bad because I feel like I broke my word on a deal. AT the same time I feel a bit relieved. The guy may be the most honest and trusting person in the world but both the offer of selling on payments and sending payment in his wife's name sent up paranoia flags for me.

Did I do wrong by breaking my word? Should I have dismissed my paranoia and distrust?

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You did right.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep. You did right. If something seems wrong, it probably is.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
did not sound right, when he wanted the money order in his wife's name.

Maybe there is an issue in the house hold.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bwana338
did not sound right, when he wanted the money order in his wife's name.

Maybe there is an issue in the house hold.

He said he spends so much on guns and such that he wanted her to get the money when he sells one. I figured me might have thought it could hurt his social security.

I felt bad about not doing the deal but both selling it to a stranger on payments and wanting the MO in the wife's name made me feel too paranoid to do it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was not paranoia .... You did right.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't have the cash to pay for a gun, you shouldn't be buying one to begin with.

One makes payments on necessities, not toys

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would only do that on a face to face basis with someone I was personally familiar with. If the guy is willing to give a gun up for half price and trust you, I would be suspicious.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You did the right thing.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Snyper
If you don't have the cash to pay for a gun, you shouldn't be buying one to begin with.

One makes payments on necessities, not toys

I completely agree. That's why I set aside a portion of income for toys and hunts.I call it my play fund. I have plenty of money in other accounts including a years emergency fund and retirement.

I just only spend play money out of my play fund. I usually put about $200 a month in that account. I told the guy that it was bad timing because I hadn't built up my play money account enough from a recent purchase enough to just pay cash. That's why I offered a trade plus cash and that's when he offered a payment plan.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Common sense is not paranoia.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Something doesn't smell right. Something like that would make me wonder if ownership of the gun were ... shaky. Stolen, maybe. Or being held in lieu of a debt and might get reported stolen later.

Seems to me that you might be the (too) honest and (too) trusting one, not him. It could have been fine but the door was open for you to be in a lot of trouble and/or out the money.

You did the wise thing.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

He said he spends so much on guns and such that he wanted her to get the money when he sells one.

BS. He could just sell it and buy the wife what she wants or give her the money to play with.

Something ain't right, based on the info you provided.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like he probably isn't legally able to own the gun (i.e. felon) and didn't want a money order with "gun" in the memo line with his name on it...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

He said he spends so much on guns and such that he wanted her to get the money when he sells one.

BS. He could just sell it and buy the wife what she wants or give her the money to play with.

Something ain't right, based on the info you provided.

Everything I said is exactly what happened. I apologized in the nicest way I knew about not doing the deal. Now he is mad and calling me names.

I appreciate all the confirmations from you guys that I wasn't just being unreasonable by withdrawing from the deal. I really hate to break my word but I feel like he changed the terms of our agreement. I never thought about asking who I would send payment to before agreeing to the deal.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Not an accusation of any kind, RH. Apologies if that's how it came across.

These opinions are based on the info you provided and have nothing else to go on, didn't listen to your conversation (but the NSA recorded it), and didn't talk to the seller.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Could be a felon using the wife as a straw man. You did good.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You did right, what his reasons for this were who knows. I suspect he was going to tell his wife that was all he got for it and keep the payments that you would have given him.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Not an accusation of any kind, RH. Apologies if that's how it came across.

These opinions are based on the info you provided and have nothing else to go on, didn't listen to your conversation (but the NSA recorded it), and didn't talk to the seller.

No offense taken at all. I still think he is likely an honest man. I just wanted to know if others would have been as cautious and suspicious as I was in this deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he is calling you names then he is probably pizzed because he is desperate. Let him sell the thing to someone else. Go about your affairs and i ignore him. The deal changed when he wanted you to send the money to his wife. If there wasnt something fishy then he could have just gave the money to his wife when he received it. Could be anything but regardless not your issue but his.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 63 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.