Hop To
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by smokepole

Ingwe, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but those pics are the redneck equivalent of a leisure suit.......

And, like leisure suits, they're awesome, right????

grin

It takes a special man to trip the polyester like that, tread carefully.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up until recently, I considered myself a connoisseur of cheap scopes. Bushnell Banner was about as expensive as I'd go, and I'd shot probably most of my deer with $30 scopes.

I'm reforming. I started after last season pulling off cheap scopes and putting on something better.

I bought a Bushnell Elite 3-9X40 for my new Hawkeye and couple new Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 and Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40. I have to report they were all worth it.

I have had 1 scope just plain fall apart. That was a Simmons that came on KYHillChick's Savage 110 package. It just all fell apart one day. That has been the only real tragedy. I'm still a little bitter about that one.

What a $100 or $200 scope seems to buy you over a $30 scope is usually a bit more subtle. For instance, my $30 Simmons is 30-some years old. It has always held a zero, but when I make minor adjustments, everything goes haywire. It's because
1) The clicks are not even. 1 click may be 1/4", but 8 clicks might be more like 5 inches.
2) Reversing the clicks is not the same; I may go 5 clicks in one direction and then put it back 5 clicks later and the POA is way off.

as a result, I sometimes have to go chasing my zero all afternoon. In the end, I decided the cost of the ammo I would save would justify a better scope.

Another thing I've noticed about these newer scopes has been glare. I have been looking right at a buck on Opening Day, thrown up my rifle and all I've seen is sun glare. I've tested all these new scopes-- just can't seem to repeat the problem with them.

The other big thing is how clear the new scopes are to the old cheap ones. I had a 80's vintage $100 Bushnell Banner 4-12X40 on my Win 70. It was my best scope for low light. I was still having to stop hunting a good 10 minutes before the end of legal hunting, because deer were disappearing into a foggy murk. My new 3-9X40 Bushnell Elite keeps it crisp. Amazingly, on my treestand gun, a Savage99, I replaced the $30 Simmons with a Bushnell Banner 3-9X40-- less than $70 and I have had similar luck early in the morning. By swapping all these scopes, I've added 20 minutes of hunting time-- and here I thought it was a middle-age thing with my eyes!

Well, it probably is a middle age thing. Truth is my eyes are getting worse as I age, and I either had to step up to better optics or start contemplating giving up.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good schit sells itself and Joe Average's "experience" is hilarious.

Congratulations?...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was talking to a chap who works in a gun shop here in town and used to work for Lightforce here in it's home town......a very experienced guy with firearms.

Many folk come into the shop where he works and buy the cheaper rifles - and he cringes that he has to take their money , knowing he is selling them schit......he says they would be better off buying a lightly used gun of better make than the el cheapo.....cause after a few months they are back with all sorts of issues . Whether its the gun itself of their stupidity / lack of maintenance who knows....but the condition of the rifle speaks for itself......

Gus

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glass pukes,before rifles. Hint.

Bullets puke,before rifles. Hint.

I've puked alotta rifles. Hint.

A "good deal" on a POS...assuredly ain't.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Do any of you other guys actually go and kill stuff, grill it, and eat it, without using the forum's "preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo?

No, why would I want to?

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Pat85

Do any of you other guys actually go and kill stuff, grill it, and eat it, without using the forum's "preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo?

No, why would I want to?

I have done it for a lot of years.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This will be funnier than phuqq!

Hang a pic of the BEST Beastie,which best quantifies that Lifetime of "experience"/"results".

Laughing!............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep SS, I could use a gander at that unit 201 bull again, it's almost time to hit the hills.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fingers crossed!

Laughing..............

IC B3

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pat85

No, why would I want to?

Why not?

Heck, for some people, financial constraints make spending a boat-load of money to shoot some deer at 50-75 yards irresponsible in terms of family obligations.

I am much more impressed by someone who can get 'er done with the simple minimum than I am by a gear whore. Heck, that applies even more so to hockey for me than hunting. I damn sure don't look down on somebody for hunting with less than a 1200 dollar rifle and 500 dollar scope, especially if they are trying to feed a family or send kids to college.

wink

[insert Stickism about whine and pretend here]

smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupidity,do tend to appeal most...to STUPID phuqqers. What do you "do" for a "living" again? Laughing!

FUNNY how that works.

Laughing!..................

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still waiting on that pic of you with something bigger that you've shot.

Or that pic of you overseas in uniform.

Or of the sheep YOU shot.

It'll be a long wait, it already has.

Have a good night, and don't forget to puke outside or in the toilet when the bottle's done.

wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need to be THAT phuqqing ashamed of your "vocation". Just kidding...it's WELL founded. Laughing!

Your Imagination is nearly as phuqqing funny,as your Pretend.

Keep doing your "best",if only for the humor.

Laughing!..................

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]
Marlin 30-30 my granddad gave to me when I was 14. Weaver K2.5, Queen knife my dad bought in 58. It will keep filling the freezer wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NICE Doe!...............

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cool looking rifle MM

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Works on bucks too
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Awesome!..............

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like that lever.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.