Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wnen my daughter, Melanie, was about to get married her future husband and his parents were down from Minnesota for the wedding. I had planted some peanuts in the garden and had gathered and boiled some a day or two before they arrived.

The parents were at the house getting acquainted with all of us and I asked them if they would like to try some boiled peanuts. The father whispered to his son, Gary, "What's a bald peanut?" Gary replied, "No, dad, he said b-o-i-l-e-d peanuts."

Dorothy was from northern Mississippi and had never heard of boiled peanuts when we got married and she wondered why I referred to her as my yankee wife. Would get hot under the collar, too.

Luverne, AL holds what they advertise as the world's largest peanut boil each Labor Day and I bought a large styrofoam cup of boiled peanuts a couple of weeks ago. Just average in size and were not salty enough for my taste.

I was in the grocery store yesterday and bought a gallon of Peanut Patch boiled peanuts and had to admit they were far superior to the local product. Much bigger, salter and cheaper. Sam's also carries them in their stores locally but don't know about the depressed areas where y'all live but if they do and you've not tried them let me urge you to correct this deficiency in your raising and try them as soon as you can.

You can thank me later. smile

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I ate peanuts often as a kid either boiled or parched. Now other than the little packs of Toms that are shelled and salted, I rarely see peanuts for sell around here.

As a kid you never got just a Coke(Coke, not Pepsi), you got a pack of peanuts, took a sip of your Coke(to make room) then poured the peanuts into the bottle, then sipped and chewed until the bottle was empty. At a nickel for the Coke and a nickle for the peanuts, you were living high.

Last edited by websterparish47; 09/07/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mickey, in the purt near 15 years I lived in Mizzipi and Flo'dah I never oncet had me no bald peanuts. (end of dialect)

Saw those little kettle stands by the side of the road a zillion times, but was always getting somewhere and never stopped. Almost sorta kinda wanted to, but just never did. Nor can I recall ever seeing them for sale in stores, come to think of it. But I promise that the next time I find myself 1,500 miles southeast of here, I will.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally came across some a while back and had a sample. I was less than impressed; prefer just salted/roasted. (Please see first part of sig. line #1.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boiled Peanuts... The best snack on earth.... I could eat my weight on them.... I am personally glad most northerners do not know about them or like them. More for us who do like them. smile

Last edited by Sako; 09/07/14.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I grew up in Florida eating them, and remember making them up into bags which we would take to the park and sell. My dad would help me and my brother out with it just so we'd have a little spending money. We'd have maybe 20 or so bags made up, and always had them sold within an hour or so. After I made a batch for her, my fiance, who is the pickiest eater I've ever seen, will tear them up. Whenever I run across raw peanuts, I'll boil up 3 or 4 pounds of them, and put them in a big jug in the refrigerator. We all lay into them, and they are normally gone in 2 or 3 days.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I cook up a batch every so often for family gatherings. They don't last long.

Betcha can't eat just one grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Dad is a big peanut guy, but never saw him eating any that he hadn't just shelled. I'm ignorant of the process. Are the in-shell nuts one sees in the market cooked, or raw? Mickey, do you shell the peanuts, then boil and salt? They sound darned good, but I've never even seen them offered.

W47, that sounds so familiar about the coke and peanuts. I think they may have been something the old man had told me about doing as a kid...

I've stopped on the side of the road in AZ and bought pine nuts off some locals, and they were great. Wish I'd bought more. Neat thread. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm from Northeast Mississippi and we ate them every year. My favorite way..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grew up eating boiled (in the shell for those who don't know) peanuts. One of life's great delicasies.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had them my first time in Taiwan as an appetizer with sliced smoked tofu and stuffed pig intestines.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mickey, I can eat my weight in boiled peanuts. I used to really like 'em hot and salty, but now, room temp, and less salt suit me better. smile

Sam......

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started hoin' peanuts with Grampa when I was about 10. Son of a .....!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sako
Boiled Peanuts... The best snack on earth.... I could eat my weight on them.... I am personally glad most northerners do not know about them or like them. More for us who do like them. smile

Oh...I know all about them, and they can stay south of the Mason-Dixon Line. sick

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave588
I had them my first time in Taiwan as an appetizer with sliced smoked tofu and stuffed pig intestines.

They fit right in with that meal. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like them hot but, once they cool they go way town the yum scale in my book. WP47 I still like to float peanuts in my pop and did it often when working around the farm or outdoors where your hands are dirty or you are driving a tractor etc. the advent of the can is the reason that practice has died IMHO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Salted peanuts in a Coke, fond memories and been know to do it still! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I freeze them then Nuke as needed.

Lakeland,Fl.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by soli
I freeze them then Nuke as needed.

This.^^^

We will boil a bushel or 2 and freeze them in quart bags, which makes for a pretty good helping. They usually last through hunting season! I like to use less salt and more cayenne!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.