Campfire Regular
Thanks, BullShooter.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Forget where I read this, and don't know if it's true. But the story is that a new editor, frustrated with Keith, sent him a memo that he needed to use more commas when he wrote. Keith's next manuscript had, and the very end, about three lines of commas, with the note that here they are, put them where you want them.

That's funny, don't care who you are.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That sounds just like the Elmer Keith I imagine.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hope that's true. For me, that's something I would expect him to write, but did he?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I hope that's true. For me, that's something I would expect him to write, but did he?

It's a great story...

Do as in Hollywood, when myth veers from fact, print the myth...

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm always a bit amused by these threads between the JOC and EK fans. People act like yeah we would have been big buddies if only I had lived close to them etc. I knew neither and just have my opinion formed by what I have read about them but I sense that both could be somewhat of a curmudgeon and didn't suffer fools readily despite if they happened to say hi to you and shake your hand at a safari club convention booth where they were paid to glad hand the clientele. I may be all wrong but I would only guess that's like stating that Kim Kardasian or Jennifer Aniston wants to have your offspring.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's nice to think about them in that way and that's OK.

But, I think you may be onto something...

They had close friends mentioned in their writings, but seemingly not a lot of them...

DF

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Elmer was the same wherever he was. I doubt he ever felt the need to "glad hand" anyone. He was naturally friendly to anyone else that was friendly.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt very much that either Elmer or Jack were ever paid to stand in a booth and glad-hand anybody. Partly I doubt this because SCI was started in 1973, toward the end of their careers, when both were pretty tired of traveling just for the sake of traveling.

In fact I don't know of anybody who's been paid to stand in an SCI booth and meet people. Some do have booths of their own, where they selling stuff so are understandably nice to most people, or are in somebody else's booth because that other somebody is selling something--like, say, Craig Boddington being in the Safari Press booth because they're selling his latest book. But being paid to stand in one booth at any convention? Nah.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Forget where I read this, and don't know if it's true. But the story is that a new editor, frustrated with Keith, sent him a memo that he needed to use more commas when he wrote. Keith's next manuscript had, and the very end, about three lines of commas, with the note that here they are, put them where you want them.

That's funny, don't care who you are.

whether true or not, just picturing that situation in the mind--that's a great story.

i always enjoyed his writings--some good stuff.

at the old Powderhorn sporting goods store here--among some of the guys--there used to be "an old joke" about Elmer--that he had put an ad in the back of one of the magazines;

five used typewriters for sale--all in good condition, except for the letter "i", which is completely worn out on all of them...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I doubt very much that either Elmer or Jack were ever paid to stand in a booth and glad-hand anybody. Partly I doubt this because SCI was started in 1973, toward the end of their careers, when both were pretty tired of traveling just for the sake of traveling.

In fact I don't know of anybody who's been paid to stand in an SCI booth and meet people. Some do have booths of their own, where they selling stuff so are understandably nice to most people, or are in somebody else's booth because that other somebody is selling something--like, say, Craig Boddington being in the Safari Press booth because they're selling his latest book. But being paid to stand in one booth at any convention? Nah.

Petersen (G&A) did expect him to attend the NRA conventions in their booth until he was too ill to do it. The last time I saw him was at one of those conventions and I thought it wasn't right to expect him to be there. He wasn't too happy about it but he was there and did the best he could. They did let him sit on a stool, but he didn't have much to say and sat towards the back. He was a shadow of his former self. This was in 1979, IIRC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old gunwriter friend, Bob, used to hang with guys like Elmer Keith back in the day. I'll be over to Bob's house and he'll launch into a story about how he and Bill Ruger and Elmer tried to go to dinner at a Japanese restaurant, and Elmer had a gun in his boot and this was Chicago and . . . anyhow the gun ended up in Bob's wife's purse and a good time was had by all-- that kind of stuff.

The one Elmer Keith story of Bob's that stood out was how one day Elmer handed Bob a rough draft of something he wrote. Bob said Elmer had been drinking a lot and he wanted to know Bob's first impressions. Bob could not make heads-or-tails of it and passed it back to Elmer commenting as much.

"I was afraid of that. " replied Elmer. "That was my take on it too."

Bob concluded the story by saying Elmer required a lot of editing towards the end of his career.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
All the good warm and fuzzy "bubba" feelings we as readers and fans may feel for those two, hanging out with one of them or being on a prolonged hunt may not have worked out exactly how we imagined it.

Just saying...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was reminded in reading this thread of my Eulogy for Big Stick back in 2007. Big Stick had been banned, and I came back from a weekend at camp and missed all the hoo-haw and thought Big Stick was dead. I started writing a eulogy for him.

Eulogy for Big Stick

I liked it so much, that I used parts of it in my eulogy for my own father when he died.

If you don't want to wade through the whole thing, here's the important part:

"Years ago," said Chin. "My buddy Lao Tse died. A few of us over at the monastery decided to go over and pay our respects. So I get to the funeral home and there are all these monks, disciples of Lao Tse, acting like a bunch of women. They're crying, they're wailing, they're pulling their clothes, they're falling on the floor and rolling around, and the noise? It sounded like they were slaughtering sheep!

"So I went in and I let out three big wails, and then I turned to my buddies and told them 'Let's blow this place. I know a bar around the corner that has cheap buckets of Miller until Five.' One of the monks gets off the floor and runs over to us.

"'Where are you going?' asked this monk. 'Is that all you can summon for your friend? Three lousy little wails?'

"That's when I got steamed. I went around the parlor, kicking butt. I knocked those monks upside the head with my staff. I kicked their sorry backsides. I put a hurt on them like they had never seen. 'I'll give you something to wail about!' I said.

"'But Master!, said the monks. 'This was your best friend.'

"'No!' I said. 'I can see Lao Tse was a fool. And you are all fools too. I had believed him to be the man of all men, but now I know that he was not. When I went in to mourn, I found old persons weeping as if for their children, young ones wailing as if for their mothers. And for him to have gained the attachment of those people in this way, he too must have uttered words which should not have been spoken, and dropped tears which should not have been shed, thus violating eternal principles, increasing the sum of human emotion, and forgetting the source from which his own life was received. The ancients called such emotions the trammels of mortality. The Master came, because it was his time to be born; he went, because it was his time to die. For those who accept the phenomenon of birth and death in this sense, lamentation and sorrow have no place.'

"I kicked all their sorry butts, and as I left, I told them this: ' There was a fire. It burned brightly once, and now it is gone. It may burn elsewhere in this world, I know not where, but these sticks have burned out and grown cold. '"

With this, the Chinaman got up from the mound of dirt and walked over to the little campfire that someone had left. With his boot, he kicked the embers. A few were still hot, and once they hit the snow, they sizzled and went out.

"Just like this." said Chin. "And then I walked out of there and got drunk with my friends."

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF,
Spot on!

Romantic notions usually do not stand up to real life experiences.

I will say that I became enamored with the 270 in part because of JOC's writings. But the article that really hooked my was written by a DIY hunter that went to Canada and successfully hunted all sorts of critters with his 270, including grizzly.
Then all of my positive hunting experiences added to it.

I think Dirty Harry had more of a 44 influence on me than EK. But thanks to him, we have it.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CRS, +1, and good call on the 44. It was pop culture that made it exciting and interesting for me, especially through characters like Dirty Harry. Elmer Keith was just a name back then. My dad had a few: big, and bigger Rugers.

And back then, JOC was just another name, and though I had read a few things he'd written, I didn't connect him to the 270 until much later, after several 270's had been part of the family hunting for some years.

Shaman, as always, your writing entertains and edifies. I like the longer version over just the eulogy. The markings of many men decorate, or mar, the surface of my world. Several are here on the fire, which is why I am still here.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, kindly.

I don't mean to denigrate Jack, Elmer, or even my buddy Bob. However, those sticks gave out their heat a long time ago.

Timeless? You want timeless? Try Phillip Tome, Meshack Browning, or (my favorite)Friedrich Gerst�cker. Nobody in their day was worried about 270 vs 30-06. Browning liked to put a ball into a buck, just to get a blood trail and then track it. He preferred leaping on the animal and finishing it off by plunging a knife into the beast's chest and feeling the life leave. Tome's big claim was being able to capture elk alive and bring them back to town to show off. Gerst�cker walked most of the way from New York to Arkansas, just for the hunting. Look them up on Amazon. I think Tome's autobiography is free online. Teddy Roosevelt is a pansy by comparison.

Me? By the time Adolf Hitler was my age, he'd been dead 6 months. However, Hitler never knew the pleasure of standing over a buck with his son clapping his hands with glee. I've lived twice as long as Alexander the Great and then some, but I dare say old 'Lex never had the chance to sit back with a scotch under a full moon with a fat 8 pointer hanging up and listen to Cabar Feidh (The Stag�s Head) played just for him by the Cincinnati Caledonians Pipe and Drum, piped in over a cell phone.

Some day it hits you, maybe you're not trying to kill Harrison Ford in a rainstorm, but one day the truth sinks in:

[video:youtube]JdUq2opPY-Q[/video]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,
Spot on!

Romantic notions usually do not stand up to real life experiences.

It takes a special kinda dog to run with an alpha dog. That dog, generally will be a supporter, one to cheer the alpha, to be there for the alpha without competing for center stage.

Not a real common dog...

DF

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'm not a Big Dog, but I've run with a few. Not a small dog either, just a Low Dog.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.