Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Take a look at the Dick Cepek Mud Country Radial.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Dick-Cepek-Mud-Country.htm

Last edited by ruffcutt; 09/08/14.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Cooper ST Maxx or Goodyear DuraTrac. Had em both and both are fantastic tires.

The ST Maxx is heavy but the sidewall is STOUT! The DuraTrac doesn't have as stiff of a sidewall and is lighter. I went with the ST Maxx this go round just for that reason

I would steer very clear of the Duratracs if you have a lot of rocks where you drive.

Had a set on my Tacoma double cab 4x4. Didn't have a lot of miles on them. Had 3 out of 4 sidewall gashes / punctures on an elk hunt last year in a matter of days. They were the "c" rated Duratracs, but I was not going to try it again with the "e" rated tires. When I bought them, they were a fairly new tire without a lot of real world reviews. Google told the story when I got back. They're known for their sidewall issues now.

Lost one on the hunt to a 3/8" wet stick. Right through the sidewall. Lost tire since nobody will patch a sidewall. When they took the tires off I could not believe how thin they were. Pathetically thin.

They were pretty decent in the mud and in the rain, snow, ice. But they SUCK if you drive anywhere near anything sharp. Arizona's rocks ate those things alive. Same exact roads, trip after trip, many miles, with Bridgestone MT's, Firestone MT's, and now the Goodyear MTR's, and not a single issue.

I went with the Goodyear MT/R Kevlars this time around.

If you consider the Duratracs, don't even think about the "c" rated tire.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

Those look about ideal! And, they look a LOT Like the Toyo MT's.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I put a set of Goodyear Authorities on my Toyota last summer. I couldn't believe the crap I drove through last elk season after Colorado had all that rain. Great traction in the wet stuff and good on rocks. They're a little loud on pavement, but they're pretty cheap at Walmart. I think around $180 for a 265/75-16.

Last edited by Waygoner; 09/09/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

+1 or Maxxis Bighorns running on my Jeep now.
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762

Most of the tires posted here so far are for suburban dwellers that need to go for bread and milk.

JMHO

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like Firestone' Destination A/T. I've had them on for a bit over a year on an F350 4x4 and love them. I've had either one ton or 3/4 ton trucks for three decades, and these are the best tires I've had yet. Ride well, good traction in wet/snow/mud, and they are tough.

A close friend works at a tire shop in the rocky cow country in southwest Idaho (Owyhee County), says these are the current top sellers. I can see why.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Duratracs suck! I had one of the first sets.

Since all tires pack up, a dang Michelin MTS and lockers works as good as any, doesn't hurt your gas milage, and are quiet. Do consider a snow rated tire though. Side lugs are almost useless too except in rocks and logs.

Best way to see how a side lug or typical mud tread works is to leave some poop in your butt crack and run your finger through it.

I go places in my Land Rover with street tires that proves to me, tires mean Doodley Squat.

Its aweful humbling to have your locked and cocked Rubicon slide off a mountain road and have a Subaru drive on past without spinning a tire.

I do agree with the Destination AT and Goodrich AT, but the MT versions don't do anything better.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 09/09/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R kevlar. I've got them on my jeep and my f250. Wife says they're noisy, but i'm hard of hearing and I don't like shoveling.[Linked Image]

I'm not sure what kind of roads you drive but I avoid the duratracs like the plague. I tried them once and they were completely bald/cords showing in under 20000 (~95% gravel driving). From the good reviews I see here I'm guessing they last pretty good on the pavement. Kelly fierce attitude is another good tire.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have a set of their Dynapro At3 all terrain tires on my CrewMax Tundra and like them quite well. Good traction and excellent wear so far. And, they have enough sidewall stiffness to handle well when towing my +9k lb. 5th wheel.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I run BF Goodrich TA Commercial's up here in Alaska. They cost about $165 each, are C rated and have good tread life for the money along with fairly aggressive tread. We see them on lots of guys with plow rigs.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cooper Discoverer AT/3, best tire I've owned (that list includes BFG, Mastercraft, Firestone, Goodyeat and Armstrong)

Discoverer AT/3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by sackett
Cooper Discoverer AT/3, best tire I've owned (that list includes BFG, Mastercraft, Firestone, Goodyeat and Armstrong)

Discoverer AT/3

My son had put a set on his F-150 and really liked them, so I put a set on my Dodge Ram, when the factory originals died. Good tires.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
I run BF Goodrich TA Commercial's up here in Alaska. They cost about $165 each, are C rated and have good tread life for the money along with fairly aggressive tread. We see them on lots of guys with plow rigs.

I've been seeing a lot of those around here lately. Mostly crew vehicles and pumper pickups. The price makes them tempting as did the price on the duratracs. I just have better luck with bigger lugs in my environment. Maybe the tires I'm running would be shot in 20000 on pavement, I don't know. I think it depends a lot on the conditions.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
toyo's or nitto trail grapplers are the best IMO and i;ve run just about all of them at one time or another, i personally like the trail grapps. bad ass tire for everything

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Having good results with Firestone Destinations here, but I don't push on stuff that hard either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And mud and snow is always relative. Might as well be running slicks when it's really deep or slimy.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2, run these in 255-80R-17 on my 1-ton dually, best damn farming/pasture/hunting tires I've ever ran, they're 'E' rated 10 plys too.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Of the tires mentioned, I think the Toyo mud terrains are the best and the BFG mudders second. I can't think of a worse all terrain tire than the BFG all terrains; they load up with mud, are slippery on rocks and seem prone to whining prematurely. I would never own another set but still have buddies that do. We replaced one set recently with Cooper AT/3 which are a much better tire.

If you want Mud tires, however, the Toyos are very good. I have a set of BFGs mudders I run in the winter because I got them cheap and they are good but seem to wear quicker than not.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run duratracs on my duramax. I bought them before they were cool and liked the snow and mud performance. I run bfg at on my 4runner. I've had a dozen sets of the bfg....cause I have not been let down yet. I am going to put a set of bfg on my new excursion. I work in Prudhoe bay Alaska and 99% of all rigs here wear duratracs and are way heavier than anything most people drive.

The one I'm surprised didn't get mentioned is the toyo m55.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Nothen big plus for the Toyo's

Have a set on my Tacoma and will be buying a set for the Wife's 4-Runner before winter.

Virgil B.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,585
Posts18,473,398
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.