Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I only have one Europellet gun. Worthless to me, but it sure is pretty. Browning High Power.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by scouttracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I think there's a good chance we'll see the .40 decline in the next decade or two though. People are starting to realize that a 147 grain, or 124 grain +P 9mm will do most anything a .40 can do with less recoil and far less abuse to the gun.

You think the 40 is on it's way out in favor of the 9? I'm trying, but I don't see that. I don't see a hot 9 being anywhere near a 40. My favored load in 9 is a 147+P or +P+, and 180 top end 40, and the way they interact with various media when they hit clearly puts the 40 well above the 9.
The FBI and many departments are moving back to the 9mm for a reason over the 40. The 9mm has some very impressive balastics on par or better than the 40.

Take the 9 and 40 both into the field shoot some deer and hogs with both and then get back to us as to how the 9 is equal or superior to he 40. Hint it ain't and never will be.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Another winner!!

Last edited by 35WhelenNut; 09/10/14.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the .357 and 45 ACP. Was shooting both of them a couple of days ago. I like .40 S&W and 9mm. Was shooting the 40 yesterday. I like...I like 'em all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The 45 ACP and 357 don't seem to be talked about much anymore. Have they been declining or just about these days.

They aren't rounds for people who blather about minutia incessantly on the internet, they are rounds for people who go out and shoot.
This is coming from the same guy that brown bear called out a few years ago?

Would you care to elaborate?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The 45 ACP and 357 don't seem to be talked about much anymore. Have they been declining or just about these days.

They aren't rounds for people who blather about minutia incessantly on the internet, they are rounds for people who go out and shoot.
This is coming from the same guy that brown bear called out a few years ago?

Would you care to elaborate?

I'd like to hear the elaboration as well.

458 Lott for the record I have a lot of respect for your opinions and experience.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why is it that when we talk about hi-capacity rounds the age and ability of the shooter always get brought up? They have nothing to do with the subject....

If a shooter sucks with 15 rounds, he'll suck with 8. Knowing that he only has 8 rounds in the mag won't magically make him a better shooter. And it won't make him practice more.

And I've seen the exact opposite as what y'all have in regards to age....Lots of older shooters can't see what they're aiming at or shoot as well as they used to so they switch to pistols with dots and hi cap mags to compensate for their lack of ability.

Age and ability are just nonsense arguments from folks who don't have anything better to contribute.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Why is it that when we talk about hi-capacity rounds the age and ability of the shooter always get brought up? They have nothing to do with the subject....

If a shooter sucks with 15 rounds, he'll suck with 8. Knowing that he only has 8 rounds in the mag won't magically make him a better shooter. And it won't make him practice more.

And I've seen the exact opposite as what y'all have in regards to age....Lots of older shooters can't see what they're aiming at or shoot as well as they used to so they switch to pistols with dots and hi cap mags to compensate for their lack of ability.

Age and ability are just nonsense arguments from folks who don't have anything better to contribute.

The age is brought up because so many young shooters seem enthralled by and depend upon handguns with large capacity magazines. Additionally, they seem far more concerned with the capability of sending lots of lead downrange than learning to hit. i.e.- "The greater my ability to fire more shots, the less important it is for me to place shots well."

There are exceptions. My 24 year old son-in-law shoots a hi-cap 9mm but not well at all, but my 27 year old son chose a 1911 and shoots it fairy well.

"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut

The age is brought up because so many young shooters seem enthralled by and depend upon handguns with large capacity magazines. Additionally, they seem far more concerned with the capability of sending lots of lead downrange than learning to hit. i.e.- "The greater my ability to fire more shots, the less important it is for me to place shots well."

There are exceptions. My 24 year old son-in-law shoots a hi-cap 9mm but not well at all, but my 27 year old son chose a 1911 and shoots it fairy well.

Is he related to Derby Dude?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If a shooter wants to learn and can follow basic instruction I can have them hitting very well with just about any style handgun.

Age has never had anything to do with it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was referencing the "fairy well" comment.

MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
C'mon over and teach me how to shoot my J frame Smith. When I dig it out the only safe place to be is leaning on the target.

Bring beer.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yep.

Dots are for the quick shots. Sight outlines are for bulleyes.

I know a lot of old farts you would not want to get in to a gun fight with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think the reference is pointing to a general lack of ability in the young 'u s, rather a possible lack of desire to learn to shoot and hit choosing instead to carry handguns that whose capacity will allow lots ammunition expenditure.

NRA Life Member
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't know a shooter under 30-years old that has one.

Here be one.

Here be another, and I know several more.

Then I'm not surprised at your stance. You guys that are younger than the Glock have no personal memory of when the .357 Mag revolver absolutely ruled the roost. A time when there were no Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, 3rd Gen S&Ws, and Sig was just a toddler.

Sales stats? Start with almost a million LEOs that have 'selected something newer'. The one-time ubiquitous S&W Models 13, 19, 27, and 586 have been discontinued or relegated to "Classic" status or special order only.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Probably one of the better post from a new comer in a long time, and without getting snotty and calling names.

As to the question;

Have the .357 Magnum and 45 ACP Become obsolete?

No, neither one! If for no other reasons than there is too many arms in both calibers out there, with both components and ammo comparatively cheap when compared to other calibers in the same range of use. Both are capable and both well stocked.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think the reference is pointing to a general lack of ability in the young 'u s, rather a possible lack of desire to learn to shoot and hit choosing instead to carry handguns that whose capacity will allow lots ammunition expenditure.

I think it's just a tendency for old people to assume that young people are stupid and lazy.

For every young guy blazing away and not hitting anything at the range I can show you an old guy shooting slow and not hitting anything. Same problem, same result, just different methods of sucking.

I'm sure that "once upon a time" everyone was a pistolero and then Gaston came along and ruined everything......

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The guy from Beauty and the Beast?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think the reference is pointing to a general lack of ability in the young 'u s, rather a possible lack olf desire to learn to shoot and hit choosing instead to carry handguns that whose capacity will allow lots ammunition expenditure.

I think it's just a tendency for old people to assume that young people are stupid and lazy.

For every young guy blazing away and not hitting anything at the range I can show you an old guy shooting slow and not hitting anything. Same problem, same result, just different methods of sucking.

I'm sure that "once upon a time" everyone was a pistolero and then Gaston came along and ruined everything......

Easy there whipper snapper! Don't get your Under Armor all bunched up!

I don't think young un's are stupid and lazy....mostly lazy! laugh

Seriously...guys my age grew up watchkng Gunsmoke, Kojak, Clint Eastwood and his S&W 29, etc. Today it's....well...I don't know any of their names in the current action films, but that and video games are bound to have an influence on younger folks and how they choose handguns and calibers.

And something else to remember: at least the old dude missing with his revolver isn't wasting ammo as fast as the Calln of Duty wannabe. smile

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

My .357 can beat up your 40 S&W.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
Anyway, it's a fun discussion. Somebody with the time, ought to track down sales data and see how many .357's are being sold out there.

From Lucky Gunner out of the Top 10 selling cartridges the .357 Mag placed...wait...

[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.