-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a unique answer, but my answer is Unique.....

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by leomort
Where can I get load data for hard cast bullets?

Is lyman the better one for hard cast?

Seems like hodgdon, speer, etc are mostly for soft cast lead.

Also, are there any potential issues using hard cast at low/modest velocity?

For example, read don't push soft cast lead bullets over 1,000 fps.

What about the reverse, hard cast as under 1,000 fps?

Thanks for all the help!

Leo

I am a computer illiterate, so I do not know how to post a link. Google-

"From Ingot To Target "

by Glen E Fryxell and Robert L Applegate

Add to your favorites.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Eat moose, burn spruce
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks Pittu

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Also get the Lyman Manual, far more cast bullet data than any other source I know of.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you to Gibby, Pittu, and Son_of_the_Gael!

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was google some info 44mag handguns and found an interesting comment regarding them that I'd like your comments and feed back.

The person said that "if you needed a 44mag or larger handgun for a situation you should be carrying a rifle".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Everyone is welcome to his own opinion, but I'll disagree. A handgun, even a large one, is convenient and easy enough to keep with you while you are doing any of a multitude of other things (fishing, hiking, building fence, quail hunting, etc). A rifle is something you usually leave behind unless you are specifically expecting to use it.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Everyone is welcome to his own opinion, but I'll disagree. A handgun, even a large one, is convenient and easy enough to keep with you while you are doing any of a multitude of other things (fishing, hiking, building fence, quail hunting, etc). A rifle is something you usually leave behind unless you are specifically expecting to use it.

For tasks such as that, I have my 4.62" SBH, and a Diamond D Custom leather "Guide's Choice" holster.

I have long since learned not to carry a heavy revolver on my belt, and though the 4.62" is not *heavy*, it ain't light.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

It is infinitely better use lighter loads to learn the basics and familiarize with the weapon than start with all the smoke, fire & jello and thus learn little but how to flinch with real distinction.

I disagree. Why in the world would you want to carry around a chunk of steel sized for 44 mag when you really want to shoot 45acp power-level? That is flat stupid.

Better to just drop this macho notion of "44 mag" and buy something more appropriate - like a 1911, or a K-frame revolver, etc.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think you read what I actually wrote. New shooters are poorly served by starting with all the recoil and muzzle blast of a big magnum, that is something to work up to. I have lost track of the number of people I have started shooting using my SBH and reduced loads. Why? Because it is so very easy to shoot and hit the target with. They move up to any of a dozen other handguns, but for starters mine is a good choice.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think you read what I actually wrote. New shooters are poorly served by starting with all the recoil and muzzle blast of a big magnum, that is something to work up to. I have lost track of the number of people I have started shooting using my SBH and reduced loads. Why? Because it is so very easy to shoot and hit the target with. They move up to any of a dozen other handguns, but for starters mine is a good choice.

Once again, that makes no sense.

What are you trying to teach these "new shooters"? How to pull a trigger? How to handle an SBH?

Start your new shooters out on a 22lr. Move them up when they are ready. I've had great success training new shooters on a 22lr semi-auto pistol first, and then moving them to a full-size 1911 - they like an autoloading pistol - just more fun.

Now if the only handgun you own is an SBH, that's different story( But then that makes me wonder why the heck a new shooter would go out and buy a 44 mag in the first place). If you only own one handgun, and for some reason it is a 44 mag, and you're into reloading, then I can see the desire to craft some different loads.

But I personally carry a 45acp when I want 44 mag "240gr800fps" power-level. But then I've got more than one handgun smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah, I understand now, you want to pick a fight on the internet. I'm not interested. Try with Bricktop or Big Stick.

Have a nice day.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by leomort
"if you needed a 44mag or larger handgun for a situation you should be carrying a rifle".

That's an idiotic statement.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
leo,

Don't let the casting looneys wrap you up too early. Lyman #2 and 9.0gr's of Unique coves a whoooole lot of ground. grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The .44 Magnum is an extremely versatile cartridge. With just two powders, such as Unique and H110, and only using Magnum cases, you can cover the whole range of loads, from very mild target/small game loads, to those capable of taking anything that walks this or other continents. That is one of its major appeals.

It is not a "one trick pony" as the narrow minded might have people believe. Logistically this is a bonus as well.

With 8.5 grains Unique it is a great small game round:

[Linked Image]

10 Grains Unique for medium game:

[Linked Image]

And heavy doses of H110 with heavy hard cast bullets for big game:

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

And heavy doses of H110 with heavy hard cast bullets for big game:

[Linked Image]

Very nice! I'd love to hear the details and story on that one.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As much as I like the 1911 (my favorite). They weight 39-41 ounce's. The 629 Mountain weighs in at 39 ounce's. Just saying.

Go with the .460 Rowland and you have everything. The Rowland is a hell of a lot more controllable than my Mountain Gun for rapid fire. Just as powerful with more rounds.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by dla

It is infinitely better use lighter loads to learn the basics and familiarize with the weapon than start with all the smoke, fire & jello and thus learn little but how to flinch with real distinction.

I disagree. Why in the world would you want to carry around a chunk of steel sized for 44 mag when you really want to shoot 45acp power-level? That is flat stupid.

Better to just drop this macho notion of "44 mag" and buy something more appropriate - like a 1911, or a K-frame revolver, etc.

That's funny....it's like saying a 38/44, M24, M27, M28, and the 1950-55 targets are all flat stupid, which none are.
Unless we are talking certain prices....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.