Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At 5 or 6 feet, #12 does the job in spades!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My typical encounters with snakes usually involve cottonmouths while fishing. And if your running trot lines with my brother or uncle running the boat it's not unheard of for them to end up in the boat with you.

I always carry my S&W M18 and it's loaded with Win. Rat Shot. I keep a half dozen boxes on hand. This revolver throws a good pattern out to about 8 feet. Inside that distance I've had no problem killing any snake shot at.

The most snakes I've killed in one day was 17. I was pretty much happy to go to the house by that point.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Frankly, if I were going to be living in the snakezone again, and spending a lot of time in the outdoors.....I would without a doubt buy and carry a "Judge" or similar rig loaded with .410 cartridges in #7.5 flavor for dispatching snakes.......

It would see frequent use as well.... LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is what the Judge and the 410 ga Shotshell was made for

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
aboltfan,
When they flop in the boat with you, you take the paddle and flip them out...no muss, no fuss.

It keeps the mental midget in front of the boat from pulling his service sidearm (P226) and wanting to shoot said water moccasin while it's in the bottom of the boat.....

SC

Semper Fi
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
As others have said: CCI .38 snake shot - it worked great for me, though my experience with it starts and stops with one snake and one shot. 2-1/2" 357 M19 from about 6-8 ft, dead right there - no kicking or squirming. Similar in size to the one you're showing...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Scenarshooter: I have used my S&W Model 34's (2" and 4"), Model 63's (2" and 4") and my Model 651 (4" 22 Magnum) for killing rattlesnakes for a LONG time now.
I prefer the shotshells.
I imagine I have killed 25+ to date with these arms and shotshells.
Again I prefer the shotshells to slugs - as a general rule it takes up to 3 shots from 6' or so with the 22 L.R. shotshells to quickly (humanely) kill said snakes.
Where as I generally just shoot just twice with the 22 Magnum shot shells to render the snakes inert.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
That picture of the momma rattler with the 17 babies calls for a double barrel 12ga and 2 rounds of AA # 8 skeet loads. I've got one setting behind the back door at the Ranch for just such occasions.

I respectfully disagree. If there has ever been a use for an 8 shot magazine tube on a pump shotgun, the "brood 'o rattlers" pic is a prime example.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

That one got a dose of 155 grain Gold Dot out of a Glock 35. It was all I had on me at the time.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
That picture of the momma rattler with the 17 babies calls for a double barrel 12ga and 2 rounds of AA # 8 skeet loads. I've got one setting behind the back door at the Ranch for just such occasions.

I respectfully disagree. If there has ever been a use for an 8 shot magazine tube on a pump shotgun, the "brood 'o rattlers" pic is a prime example.

No doubt that my Factory 8 shot 870 Riot gun would be the better tool for that job.
But mine stays loaded with 00 Buck and my Double Barrel stays loaded with AA #8 shot.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I've had very good results using the Speer capsules loaded with #10 shot with 4.0 grs of Bullseye in 38 special cases.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..

you put the pill right where it needed to be.

shot placement just like that is always the key.

stick with the loads you are using, as the shot is worthless, and you oftentimes need that .22 "right now" for other applications--such as when that one yote wanted to rip you, and the "snake shot" in the cylinder is a significant liability in those situations...

Right, it was a good shot, but I failed to mention how many cylinders it took to hit his head....grin(and I may never say).

I still wish I would have snagged that Smith Model 60 you used to have...

You might want to consider the Ruger LCR or LCRx. Both very nice guns.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
frogman,

My uncle and brother have Judges now. Uncle's has 6.5 in. barrel and brother's is a 4 in. titanium model. They use .410 shot shells and .45 Colt I load for them.

Our lease is in an area known for a lot of rattlesnakes. Rest assured my brother is carrying his while he's out prepping food plots.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
We don't have none of them there poisonous snakes up here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I remember Venturino writing an article that stated #12 is the bomb-diggity for snakes.

Travis

Because 12 is so hard to find, I bought a couple of boxes of cheap Rio 12 gauge loads to cut open for the shot. I think I paid about $2.50 a box. I'm about half way there, with the capsules loaded, but not the cartridges yet.

The shot varies in size a lot, but there sure are a lot of them in one shell.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have never done any weighing of the results but a .45 Colt with a gas check above and below, or suitable cardboard, would be a step up from Speer .44 shot capsules.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by aboltfan
frogman,

My uncle and brother have Judges now. Uncle's has 6.5 in. barrel and brother's is a 4 in. titanium model. They use .410 shot shells and .45 Colt I load for them.

Our lease is in an area known for a lot of rattlesnakes. Rest assured my brother is carrying his while he's out prepping food plots.
Your relatives would do well to do some testing with those Judges, double-action. I've had three of the 3" barreled, 3" chambered, stainless models. You simply cannot get them to work reliably double-action. I much prefer a 3" 410 to the Smith and Wesson Governor's 2 1/2" chambers, but the Governor is everything the Judge is not in every other respect. It even throws better patterns IME.

It seems that few Judge owners ever try their guns double-action. IMO that's a serious mistake.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
On .45 ACP shot shells. The old Remington crimped #12 load was durable, no cracked plactic cases. As stated, they don't cycle so one round is the limit. Just pull the magazine before firing and get another one from the ammo wallet or dump pouch to finish the job, or just reload the chamber. One chambered round in .45 auto or one round in first cylinder of S&W 25 or 625 gives peace of mind. I rather think you'd guarantee addling the snake and then finish with ball if it came to that. Not ricocheting a ball round into livestock or equipment is the true plus.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Carson
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)?

We have two distinct species here; the Western Diamondback and the Massasauga. The two have remarkably different personalities. The Diamondback, given a modicum of opportunity will without exception beat a hasty retreat unless cornered. The Massasauga however are quite the opposite and of the several I killed don't remember a one who tried to get away, rather stayed put. The problem with the latter is they're significantly smaller than your typical Diamondback which not only makes them more difficult to see but also makes it more difficult to hear them rattle.
If memory serves we have had dogs bitten on six different occasions, one of which resulted in death, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they were by a Massasauga.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,166
Posts18,484,458
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.