Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I can only hope, ABC news going after crooked auto shops/mechanics again... get a kick out of their hidden cameras and reactions when confronted with their fraudulent bills.

Out of half a dozen stings they might come up with one half way honest shop!

Phil

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know my mechanic personally. Honest as the day is long. If I were to have to use someone I didn't know I would ask before hand to keep all the parts that they change. I do half of the wrenching myself but I use him for things I have no desire to do, like change a clutch in a front wheel drive.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold..

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
And that's about how they charge

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
A good mechanic is worth his weight in gold..

True that. Some make an honest 125k/yr, or more.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had an ad on craigslist asking for someone to do some motorcycle work , to come inspect it and give me a flat rate price on what it would take to restore it and then I'd pay him once the job is done.

A honda mechanic had them flag my post and he sent me an email saying to just pay the $80 an hour rate. He called me a scamming dumbass.

my response was I wasn't interested in paying him or anyone else to play with their smart phone while working on my bike at an hourly rate.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Saw an add for an auto mechanic shop in Missoula, Mt. a few years back

"We don't just work on cars, we fix them!"

Honesty in advertising?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have been in the auto repair business for 46 years. Most everyone else I knew in the industry were like me, good at our trade and honest. We get a bad rap for those few bad apples.

-Ken

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII

I have been in the auto repair business for 46 years. Most everyone else I knew in the industry were like me, good at our trade and honest. We get a bad rap for those few bad apples.

-Ken

There's always that 10% in any business that screws it up for everybody else

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
with google, there really is no excuse to hear some bullshit line from a skilled tradesman about what you need to have done.

With 20 minutes of research, you should have a pretty good idea before you even make the call.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've only had 2 bad experiences with auto mechanics. one was a shop full of dopers (i later found out) that really did not know what they were doing but charged top dollar anyway, and the other was Pep Boys. yep, Manny Moe and Jack in Bensalem PA tried to rip me off for hundreds of dollars of unneeded repairs. i was suspicious of all the stuff they found wrong and took it somewhere else and the other garage said they were either complete thieves or had written up the wrong car.

my current guy is as honest as the day is long and his son is working with him so i think i have a mechanic for the rest of my life for the stuff that i can't or won't do.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KFWA
with google, there really is no excuse to hear some bullshit line from a skilled tradesman about what you need to have done.

With 20 minutes of research, you should have a pretty good idea before you even make the call.

Aint that the truth. I had a front end bearing going on my rig. Took it in. They swore up and down it was the brakes. Wanted 1k+. Nope. Took it down the road, they looked at the brakes, said it was the brakes. Told them it was the bearing, they didn't agree. Took it down the road more. Looked at the brakes and bearings. Changed a bearing, all was fixed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
friend of mine blew out the overdrive in her car's transmission

Mechanic told her it would cost $1700. She thought he was scamming her because she was a widow.

I looked up a video on youtube of a guy replacing the overdrive in the exact same car she had and he talked about what a pain in the ass it was - had to disconnect motor mounts,lift the motory, drop the tranny, etc and then he said that the most common fix wasn't always going to get it done, often once you got in there you had to replace solenoids and other worn parts and you are probably better off just getting a rebuilt one.

In this example, youtube verified that the guy wasn't ripping her off.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/12/14.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The problem I run into down here more than outright crookedness is them doing shoddy work. I think it's a southern thing mostly, it's hard to find tradesmen who don't half-ass everything. I've managed to find a good honest mechanic & he's worth his weight in gold. The problem is he stays so busy it's hard to get your car in.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I went to a concealed carry class with my mechanic. We get along fine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The problem I run into down here more than outright crookedness is them doing shoddy work. I think it's a southern thing mostly, it's hard to find tradesmen who don't half-ass everything. I've managed to find a good honest mechanic & he's worth his weight in gold. The problem is he stays so busy it's hard to get your car in.

I've met my share of competent folks in the south, but I have never in my life met as many backstabbing, screw you over at any cost lowlifes as I have below I-10 on the gulf coast.

My apologies to any good folk that do happen to be stuck there but it was so bad I moved away from it. I've lived in Texas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and have spent extended periods of time in many other states and I just never ran into this sort of people anywhere but there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The shops I have used use the pricing book to charge the going rate. Made no difference what time it actually took them.
I thought that was price fixing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII

-Ken

Believe you're right, Ed. And thanks for what you do.

A capable mechanic is a rather skilled fellow, and it's beyond me why people think they shouldn't be able to earn a good living. Afterall, if what's "broken" was so f'n cheap and easy to fix, people would've done it in their driveway themselves, so quit yer bitchin' so to speak. And of course there's a few bad apples - what else is new in the world? Don't patronize the crooks and move on.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Knowledge is power. If you know mechanics, but are too busy to do it yourself, you rarely get screwed. Some times they try to scam my wife, but when she brings me the quote, I show her just how wrong they are. Dealership was making us a new 'smark key' thingy and while they did that they did a 'free inspection' and told her we needed a new lower ball joint and a cv joint seal. I showed her what these parts were and how there was nothing wrong with em and we moved along. Odd that they didn't notice the brake shoes needed replacing though (but of course if they had, they'd have said we need new rotors and calipers too, even if they were fine).

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Brother took his Semi in to a local shop last fall for an inspection. Other than a few small odds and ends they told him he needed a new steering box as the seal was leaking. He told them to hold on till he got there. When he went in he showed them the receipt for a new steering box they had put on 6 months before and it only had 500 miles on it since. They changed their tune quick and looked at it again to find out one of the hoses hadn't been tightened correctly when they did the install. Couple turns of the wrench vs $1300 box, which one makes more profit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257Bob, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.