Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I looked at the SIG in 556 they have a pistol in 308 as well, there IS NO LIMIT to insanity. Can you imagine shooting a 12 or 13 inch 308 in your bedroom? crazy Not sure about the SIG's they look nice but seems to me you could make something lighter, IIRC the SIG's were Piston guns. Damn this means I have to buy another aimpoint, I am going to be the most well equipped mall ninja in the poor house before long.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by gitem_12

On a side note, how are giys doing the same swaps with Encores and not running afoul?

If it is first assembled as a pistol, it can be turned into a rifle, and swapped back. If it is first assembled as a rifle, it is a rifle and can not be switched into a pistol.

So why wouldn't that same formula follow suit with an AR pistol?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

On a side note, how are giys doing the same swaps with Encores and not running afoul?

If it is first assembled as a pistol, it can be turned into a rifle, and swapped back. If it is first assembled as a rifle, it is a rifle and can not be switched into a pistol.

Does it have something to do with the ATF's classification of pistol that includes an OAL that does not exceed 26"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Does it have something to do with the ATF's classification of pistol that includes an OAL that does not exceed 26"?

Encore pistols are under 26 inches OAL. But they can be turned into a rifle, so why can't an AR pistol?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There's actually been some debate about his on the AR forums.
Part of the debate also centers around sig brace "pistols" with an OAL over 26" that could be considered "other" vs pistols and if that makes a forward vertical grip legal or not.

In both instances, is seems nobody wants to be the test case.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

It does.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So you can turn an AR pistol i to a rifle and back again?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not that I would suggest anything illegal, but who is going to know if it was once a rifle or once a pistol?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Got the go ahead this weekend to build "My Wife's" new Sig Brace gun.

The first piece is now in inventory.

An Odin Works, 10.5" stainless, medium weight .223 Wylde chambered, button rifles, Carbine length gas, barrel.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBMJR

Not that I would suggest anything illegal, but who is going to know if it was once a rifle or once a pistol?

I suspect the ATF would know. If it was entered into the manufactures bound book as a rifle then you will have a problem.

As the brace is a work around I personally would pay very much attention to my Ps & Qs. They might not have much of a sense of humor. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't know manufacturers would do that. Are the markings or serial numbers generally any different?

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/08/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I didn't know manufacturers would do that. Are the markings or serial numbers generally any different?

By bound book he's referring to the form 4473.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you buy a lower that is new and has never been built on they call it in as "undefined" vs. handgun or long gun.

so, buy a lower and build.

if you ever sell it and it goes through a dealer as one or the other, then that might be a problem, but I still can't see how ATF would know...

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
if you buy a lower that is new and has never been built on they call it in as "undefined" vs. handgun or long gun.

if you ever sell it and it goes through a dealer as one or the other, then that might be a problem, but I still can't see how ATF would know...

That was my train of thought also.

ETA: After reading up on it, if you start with a stripped receiver, there is no way to tell if it was once a rifle or pistol. So, you may be breaking the law, but there is no way anyone would know by looking at it or tracking paperwork.

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/09/14.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you buy a brand new unbuilt stripped lower and build it as a pistol! It. Has to be marked other on the 4473.

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/09/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That was my train of thought also.

ETA: After reading up on it, if you start with a stripped receiver, there is no way to tell if it was once a rifle or pistol. So, you may be breaking the law, but there is no way anyone would know by looking at it or tracking paperwork.

The law is that a rifle cannot be made into a pistol. They have to have some proof it was a rifle and you converted it. You have no obligation to prove it was not a rifle. However, your idea of keeping a copy of the 4478 seems sound.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice piece, but I think I'd rather have a bullpup rifle in 5.56 than a pistol version.

MSAR

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Nice piece, but I think I'd rather have a bullpup rifle in 5.56 than a pistol version.

MSAR

MM

That's another fun looking option.
Personally, I decided to stay standardized on the AR platform.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I have so far, too, but the smaller piece sure makes a nice CQ or vehicle option.

MM

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,919
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.