Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
DaveIRL that's simple...Don't think of it as a Big Bore with a Really Big Boom. Quit frankly it's a 30/06 that just shoots heavier bullets. I use mine for everything in the US West. Besides you living in the UK...It should be mandatory to own a 375H&H. LOL

I'm in Ireland. I'd almost do it just to see the authorising police officer choke on his coffee when I tell him what I want. Out of curiosity (Just idle curiosity of course, no way I'm trying to convince myself of anything here), for someone who's never shot anything bigger than a .300 mag or a .45-70, how long is it likely to take to learn to manage something like a medium-heavy .375?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Even for a wee Irish lad it wouldn't take you long. I think the 300 mag kicks sharper than the 375. The 375 is more of a big push more like the 45-70.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Glad to hear that. The .45-70 I fired was a Sharps reproduction, so a heavy gun, but I definitely got the big, slow oomph impression. I have another lefty friend who might be interested in splitting the cost of the .375 for future African adventures.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is one I am kinda proud of. I restocked this Whitworth Mauser to be part of a matching pair that also included a 30-06. I thought then and still do, thats a pretty good matched set for pretty much everything.
[Linked Image]
In this pic, it is wearing a Redfield peep and now it still wears the peep base but has a 2 3/4 heavy duplex Burris Fullfield scope.
As a back up, I also have an almost matching 7x57. I did all the stock work myself using pretty primitive tools and lots of time. Those three will be my keepers.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.

Tanner, I've been a devout .375 fan for many years; going back to the time when Elmer Keith revived interest in it and Ruger came out with the #1 in that caliber.

My beat-up old pet .375 is an Interarms Whitworth fitted with a just-as-old Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 scope.

My favorite load is the Sierra Game King 300-grain boattail and 75 grains of IMR 4350 for just under 2,500 fps, which is Elmer's old load and still shoots into cloverleafs at 100 yards.

Years ago I had the privilege of reviewing Keith's original correspondence with Sierra when they partnered with him in developing that particular bullet.

I've killed everything with it from antelope to elk, and I loaned it out to friend for moose. It's always done just what the old man said it would do, and you can "eat right down to the hole."

Thanks for starting this thread,

Dick

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've stayed in Rock Spring, Dick on my way west. Lots of pretty open country where a heavy bullet with a decent BC would probably shine!

Best,

Jeff

The way life should be.
That's the thing about a good .375; close up or long range, it gets the job done.

The only way to go wrong is too-light bullets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dick_Blust

Tanner, I've been a devout .375 fan for many years; going back to the time when Elmer Keith revived interest in it and Ruger came out with the #1 in that caliber.

My beat-up old pet .375 is an Interarms Whitworth fitted with a just-as-old Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 scope.

My favorite load is the Sierra Game King 300-grain boattail and 75 grains of IMR 4350 for just under 2,500 fps, which is Elmer's old load and still shoots into cloverleafs at 100 yards.

Years ago I had the privilege of reviewing Keith's original correspondence with Sierra when they partnered with him in developing that particular bullet.

I've killed everything with it from antelope to elk, and I loaned it out to friend for moose. It's always done just what the old man said it would do, and you can "eat right down to the hole."

Dick

Dick, I'm glad you brought up the 300 gr. sierra gameking. Weird thing is, I was wondering how that particular bullet would work for big critters and I guess you answered that question for me...Around here, we use the 250 gr. sierra gameking in our 338 win mags on elk with excellent results. I wouldn't even consider running a different bullet for my 338. Lord knows I've tried many different flavors but went back to the gameking since it works so well....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
This is one I am kinda proud of. I restocked this Whitworth Mauser to be part of a matching pair that also included a 30-06. I thought then and still do, thats a pretty good matched set for pretty much everything.
[Linked Image]
In this pic, it is wearing a Redfield peep and now it still wears the peep base but has a 2 3/4 heavy duplex Burris Fullfield scope.
As a back up, I also have an almost matching 7x57. I did all the stock work myself using pretty primitive tools and lots of time. Those three will be my keepers.

That's a beautiful rifle. But how did you find a tree that grows sideways like that?

BSA, I've never had a single complaint about that bullet. And with the accuracy it showed right out of the gate, I've never tweaked Keith's original load, either. (If it isn't busted, don't fix it.)

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle. But how did you find a tree that grows sideways like that?

Thanks MarineHawk, As for the tree, Well I live in central Missouri and Kansas really sucks! : )

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[Linked Image]

Thanks MarineHawk, As for the tree, Well I live in central Missouri and Kansas really sucks! : )

Dang, I walked into that one. I grew up In Kansas.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't care if you live in Kansas or Nebraska, that rifle is the chit grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

My most recent 375 addition

...on earth as it is in Texas.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks BSA, I appreciate it.
No offense intended there Marinehawk, just funninn.
I need to get a good group photo of all three. Shoot when I prop them all up along the fireplace together and know "I did that" I kind of impress myself.
Thanks for the comments guys.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This thread was too good to let die!
Model 70 Classic that was born a 7STW, rebarrelled to 375 H&H with a Lilja tube, Williams bottom metal and a Super Grade stock. Metal finish is Cerakote. This picture was taken just after coming back from a leopard hunt and it wears a Leica illuminated scope.
[Linked Image]

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sure is a beauty. I'm with you. This thread is too good to let it die!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by McCray
This thread was too good to let die!
Model 70 Classic that was born a 7STW, rebarrelled to 375 H&H with a Lilja tube, Williams bottom metal and a Super Grade stock. Metal finish is Cerakote. This picture was taken just after coming back from a leopard hunt and it wears a Leica illuminated scope.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle. What barrel contour?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What Lilja designates as "Remmag28"...a copy of the Remington magnum sporter. This one is .670" at 24 inches.
To me it is about perfect for .358"-.375" bores. And it fits a standard Winchester barrel channel with out too much stock surgery!

Thanks for the comments!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dick_Blust

Dick

Dick, I'm glad you brought up the 300 gr. sierra gameking. Weird thing is, I was wondering how that particular bullet would work for big critters and I guess you answered that question for me...Around here, we use the 250 gr. sierra gameking in our 338 win mags on elk with excellent results. I wouldn't even consider running a different bullet for my 338. Lord knows I've tried many different flavors but went back to the gameking since it works so well....

I used 300gr Sierra out of a 375 rum killed couple moose with them never recovered a bullet.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10ring1, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.