Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Mossberg 4X4 in .270 that shoots really well, low recoil too due to the muzzle break that was on the barrel when I bought it new. It is also very accurate and I hand load for it.

When I had my AR-15 I would shoot both of them at my local range and could tell the muzzle breaks on both of them were annoying the shooters to my side. I often find the AR-15's of other shooters unpleasant to be near as well.

Last time I was at the 100 yard range there was a fellow shooting an AR platform in .308 to my left and it was horrible in the side blast from that thing. Now I am wondering if my .270 Win. is that bad as it is also a modified 30-06 family of cartridges? I know that there are many types and patterns of muzzle breaks for rifles out there, does anyone know if the .270 is as bad as the .308 in side blast, or is it all the variables of the muzzle break design itself? I could remove it and put on the muzzle cap that came with the gun but it is too nice with the muzzle break on it at this time.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never seen a brake that was fit to stand off to the side of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The break I run would kill a guy's hearing standing to the left or right

Big yes.......but it flat reduces jump

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have someone shoot your 270 while you stand next to it. Your question will be answered in one ear splitting, horrible experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they are loud. I was given a browning a bolt with a boss system. That thing was so obnoxious I took it off and wrapped some electrical tape around the threads. Groups opened up about a qtr inch without it on at 100. I put a low powered luey on it and use it as a woods rifle now.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That's why they made the CR for the BOSS...no ports. I think I have a spare in a drawer for if I find another classic with a BOSS.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
YES !

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My suggestion is to find something that you can shoot comfortably, without a muzzle break. They are definitely annoying to other shooters, at the range, and guides in the field.

A .270 should not need a break.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True most CF rifles don't "need" a break

I use one to eliminate muzzle jump. This also takes away felt recoil.......

I dont shoot at a range or use a guide......

With my break I can see bullet impacts down range through the scope....Imposible without a very good break or moderatoreThis is a good thing

My next toy just might be a large moderator

This old dog used to think there was no use for either.....I learned

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by donsm70
My suggestion is to find something that you can shoot comfortably, without a muzzle break. They are definitely annoying to other shooters, at the range, and guides in the field.

A .270 should not need a break.

donsm70

Great suggestion!

The 270 can also be loaded with lighter bullets. 85 tsxs work great on antelope and deer sized game when loaded to 3200 fps or so.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't begin to understand why any healthy person would need a brake on a 270.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Health has zero to do with using a break or moderator

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Health has zero to do with using a break or moderator

OK. let me rephrase
What kind of girly man needs a brake on a 270?
And BTW It's BRAKE not break

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, 270s don't kick at all. Real men don't use recoil pads, favoring metal butt plates. Real men also think hearing protection is for puzzies. whistle

I don't blame the OP for wanting less recoil, but a muzzle brake is a poor way to go about it. Lighter loads and a good recoil pad will do worlds of help, instead of increasing muzzle blast and the subsequent negative effects on the shooter's hearing such is done with a brake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Full force loads and a moderator would be ideal

The brake I use is a poor mans means to ZERO muzzle lift.....

Like I said before.....this allows you to see bullet impact through the scope

Some old dogs actually can learn new tricks......I learned that a moderator is a great tool for a hunter not just a tacticool toy

H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Can I use rubber wraps or electrical tape to cover up the ports and do the job of reducing the blast to the side if the range is busy with guys to my right and left? The break is torqued on pretty good and I like having it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit is always a pfhukking RIOT,as it's some drooling dumbpfhukk,trying to tell another drooling dumbpfhukk how "grate" "breaks" are. Laffin'!

That conversation is always an expose on schit chamberings,schit boolits and Imaginary Pretend "results",by The Window Licking Faction. It always culminates in LR "satisfactions",garnered by schit rifles,wearing schit mounting systems,schit glass and the Vagenius trumpeting same,being totally devoid a first pfhukking clue. Let's HOPE for a Haybale & Crockett "vindication" Hero Pic. Laffin'!

Now it's taken even further with "Break Torque" and Rubber Bands...which places the Hilarity Quotient into the pfhukking stratosphere! Congratulations?!?

Conjoin that Dumbpfhukkery with the Holly Hobby Lego "Break" and one has to wear a seatbelt to read this AMAZING Stupidity,to keep from falling out of the pfhukking chair,from laughing so hard. WOW!!!

Then take it a notch further and sprinkle more STUPIDITY copiously,by making mention how this is a "learned" decision based on "experience".

I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooooooooooooo pfhukking hard!!!!

Throw ALL Of your JipJap Fluff offa pfhukking cliff,wash your hands in bleach and forget ALL notions of "Break" Turd Polishing and simply procure a gawdammned rifle of repute,that fits,is twisted and throated right,of the case capacity you can handle,then fling meaningful boolits of meaningful BC at meaningful speeds and be AMAZED how great things happen by literal default. Read that again. Now once more. Hint. PS and by the way...it's called a "243Win",Google it. Laffin'!

Or perhaps you Dumbpfhukkers will feel compelled to wax eloquent,on even more of your Goat Pfhukk's "particulars" and go obliviously for the Comedic Jugular?!? Oh I soooooooooooooooo HOPE!

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just me, but I'd trade off a 270 for a 243 if recoil was an issue. If I had to see impacts, I'd shoot a .224 something or build a chunk.

Muzzle blast is far more annoying than recoil IMO.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Muzzle brakes are the devil IMO. They are terribly annoying to anyone remotely near you at the range, and downright dangerous in a field or hunting situation to anyone near the muzzle when you touch it off. If you are shooting a caliber that you cannot handle the recoil from without a muzzle brake, then you need to shoot a lesser recoiling caliber, IMHO. If I was a guide I'd not allow a rifle with a muzzle brake in my camp. I feel for those guys!

I hunt big game with an FN Win 70 EW in 338WM without a muzzle brake and I only shoot 250g NP's in it. This is not bravado but only to make a point� I only feel the recoil at the bench, and limit my range sessions to under 20 rounds max on a good day. In the field, I NEVER even feel it go off quite frankly.

If you have to at least put a removable brake on that .270 and take it off for hunting. I think you can get systems that allows you to remove the brake and replace it with a cap that keeps the POI the same from range (brake) to field (no brake).

God Bless America!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
This schit is always a pfhukking RIOT,as it's some drooling dumbpfhukk,trying to tell another drooling dumbpfhukk how "grate" "breaks" are. Laffin'!

That conversation is always an expose on schit chamberings,schit boolits and Imaginary Pretend "results",by The Window Licking Faction. It always culminates in LR "satisfactions",garnered by schit rifles,wearing schit mounting systems,schit glass and the Vagenius trumpeting same,being totally devoid a first pfhukking clue. Let's HOPE for a Haybale & Crockett "vindication" Hero Pic. Laffin'!

Now it's taken even further with "Break Torque" and Rubber Bands...which places the Hilarity Quotient into the pfhukking stratosphere! Congratulations?!?

Conjoin that Dumbpfhukkery with the Holly Hobby Lego "Break" and one has to wear a seatbelt to read this AMAZING Stupidity,to keep from falling out of the pfhukking chair,from laughing so hard. WOW!!!

Then take it a notch further and sprinkle more STUPIDITY copiously,by making mention how this is a "learned" decision based on "experience".

I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooooooooooooo pfhukking hard!!!!

Throw ALL Of your JipJap Fluff offa pfhukking cliff,wash your hands in bleach and forget ALL notions of "Break" Turd Polishing and simply procure a gawdammned rifle of repute,that fits,is twisted and throated right,of the case capacity you can handle,then fling meaningful boolits of meaningful BC at meaningful speeds and be AMAZED how great things happen by literal default. Read that again. Now once more. Hint. PS and by the way...it's called a "243Win",Google it. Laffin'!

Or perhaps you Dumbpfhukkers will feel compelled to wax eloquent,on even more of your Goat Pfhukk's "particulars" and go obliviously for the Comedic Jugular?!? Oh I soooooooooooooooo HOPE!

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint.

Classic on many levels. This needs to be saved. TFF and TF true at the same time.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.