Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by milespatton
When we went by this weekend the cotton was about to bloom

Late in the year for that. The bolls should be opening up and exposing the cotton. I don't know exactly what the deer would be eating, but yes cotton is valuable, or the farmer would not be raising it. miles

This is what I meant, not blooming. I understand cotton is valuable. Everything I wear is cotton. I guess it is percentages, cost vs. return.

My old hunting partner (he died this spring) loved to hunt cotton fields after the cotton had been picked. He called the new growth "privit" sp?

I personally love to hunt picked cotton fields.....my main reason is the plant is just tall enough that deer feel secure even in the wide open field. Killed many that way

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by country_20boy

Deer will eat cotton any time it is green, but they really do a lot of damage when it's less than 6" tall and they can take the whole plant off with one bite. They can wipe out several acres in a big hurry.

My thinking was that the fence might work long enough to let the plants get established.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Somebody around here had a pic of a big wire bin of cottonseed. Said it takes a little while for the deer to take to it.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My family farms roughly 5500 acres here in SC. About 2200 is in cotton. Why anyone would go thru the time and expense to build a fence to keep deer out when pokanite/milogranite is cheap and easy to use has me scratching my head.
We have pretty high deer densities here, and the deer will eat the hell outta the cotton leaves right up till we spray with defoliant. I've killed my 2 largest bucks in a cotton field.
as soon as we pick the cotton, I'll go in a top sow oats and wheat right in with the standing vines. The deer will stay in the fields till we plow under the stubble.

As far as the seeds go, they don't seem to take to just the seeds here, even though they feed on the plants, unless we mix it with shell corn. I do use the seeds vs the protein pellets because the hogs won't touch'em.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (308ld, 808outdoors, 35, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 3 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.