Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
For ultimate in accuracy a Kleinguenther KDF K22 or a Mauser 201 would be the direction I would go.......oh wait, that is what I have. crazy grin
Does that make me a rimfire snob? shocked

Last edited by K22; 07/19/14.
GB1

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
what a nice little orphan....

Thanks very much, I'm very happy with the way it looks. Now to get some glass on her and see how she shoots...

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
What direction you goin with glass/mounts?
There's been a lot of good info posted around here in regards to this and 54's. Poke around a bit and read some...I did and am quite pleased with my setup so far. One fella in particular has some strong opinions on how you ought ta be wringin that .22 out grin..
I drank the kool-aid and it was good.
DIP 25 moa rail, leopold prw, and a 16x SS I had on hand.

Photobucket isn't workin but I'll post a pic when I can

Last edited by Certifiable; 07/20/14.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone here have any experience with a good Anschutz trigger guy? Been readin up on other forums and seen Neal Stepp's name (I.S.S.) come up on multiple occasions with high recommendations.

Looks like mine has a 5109 two-stage on it, and from what I read the stock configuration on it allows a range of between 2 and 4.5 lbs., which correlates to what I'm experiencing... not exactly warm n fuzzy on that.

Thanks in advance.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
what a nice little orphan....

Thanks huntsman! I'm very pleased with the look and feel, and with the initial groups. Hoping to do a little better after some trigger work!

IC B2

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very nice rifle and scope but personally I think the scope is too tactical looking for the nice sporter rifle. Both top quality, but for my taste, it would need a sleeker classic gloss scope.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/16/14.
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Very nice rifle and scope but personally I think the scope is too tactical looking for the nice sporter rifle. Both top quality, but for my taste, it would need a sleeker classic gloss scope.

I feel the same way, but in order to have a viable range from between 50 and 300+ yards, rumor has it that this is the best way to go (as far as scope/rail is concerned). I may investigate a different stock in the future. I'll see how this set-up connects the dots and if I'm not all fuzzified I may return this gun to a sporter set-up and try again with a slightly more appropriate platform.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Nice Anschutz there Fiddy. I have a 5-30x50 tactical on my 1727F Fortner and it looks very nice. Now that you have a Anschutz, you will probably catch the bug. The Cooper is nice,that's probably next for me. The Fortner F27A holds the world record btw,Du Li of China posted a 594 in 3 pos. at Doha in 2012

The Fortners lock time is extremely fast and a Heym Fortner centerfire action has been tested to 175,000 psi

Last edited by RogerD; 09/16/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Fiddy

I feel the same way, but in order to have a viable range from between 50 and 300+ yards, rumor has it that this is the best way to go (as far as scope/rail is concerned). I may investigate a different stock in the future. I'll see how this set-up connects the dots and if I'm not all fuzzified I may return this gun to a sporter set-up and try again with a slightly more appropriate platform.

Whatever works for you. I have no interest in shooting a 22 RF over 100 yards. Maybe it's from my target days of 25 and 50 yards. I prefer shooting one hole groups at short range than playing with drop and wind in a platform I will never use for anything than just play, at that distance.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Flave,
That beat up old S/A 64 looks familiar to this piss drunk midwest cock. Too bad you will never be able to wring out any really good performance from it.
I always prefer the old S/ A 54s , 153s and the few mannlicher stocked guns they made.
if one is to talk Mauser .22s the Mm410 b is the one to own. Supposed to compete with the 52 and they do shoot pretty damn good. Can;t put a scope on them unless you want it 4" over the bore.
Chuck

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Chuck,

It is quite the machine. It is happy here in MT.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

the nice thing about the SWFA on a rimfire, even at 50 or 100, is that the clicks give exactly what they advertise. turn the knobs, walk the bullets wherever you want to ... then turn them back and be exactly where you started.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Travis,
I hated to sell it so cheap.......... but my wife needed the money.
Best,
Chuck

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 1422 (Pre 1700 Models) Anschutz Meister Grade (54 action) W/6.5 to 20 Leupold Scope ...

[Linked Image]

Shoots pretty good with mid-grade ammo @ 50 yards..

[Linked Image]

I laser engraved range settings in meters, and yards on sun shade for silhouette shoots, and squirrel hunting (and it's shot a lot of them).

[Linked Image]

I had a Anschutz 64 Silhouette gun for about 10 years but sold it when the wife quit shooting matches. It shot VERY close to as accurate as the 54.

It's a great gun, but for hunting a Marlin 39 CL is my go to, it's way lighter to carry, and 1/5th the price wink ...

[Linked Image]

Marlin @ 50 yards...

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Whatever works for you. I have no interest in shooting a 22 RF over 100 yards. Maybe it's from my target days of 25 and 50 yards. I prefer shooting one hole groups at short range than playing with drop and wind in a platform I will never use for anything than just play, at that distance.

Looks like we're on opposite ends of the RF spectrum. I've lost some of my interest in punching single holes at close range and am looking forward to the integration of more skill-based factors. It's like you said: whatever works for you.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RogerD
Nice Anschutz there Fiddy. I have a 5-30x50 tactical on my 1727F Fortner and it looks very nice. Now that you have a Anschutz, you will probably catch the bug. The Cooper is nice,that's probably next for me. The Fortner F27A holds the world record btw,Du Li of China posted a 594 in 3 pos. at Doha in 2012

The Fortners lock time is extremely fast and a Heym Fortner centerfire action has been tested to 175,000 psi

Thanks for making me feel inadequate!! Damn those look nice... I've got the bug, yep. As for stepping up to the Fortner plate, well that'll still be a while off if ever. I've plinked around on a Cooper or two and find them very nice indeed, but I've got what I've got for now and would like to see what materializes. I'll post target pics in a couple weeks.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

the nice thing about the SWFA on a rimfire, even at 50 or 100, is that the clicks give exactly what they advertise. turn the knobs, walk the bullets wherever you want to ... then turn them back and be exactly where you started.

Yep, the infallible tracking (among several other factors) is why I chose SWFA. Lots of good words been spread about the campfire on 'em.

Last edited by Fiddy; 09/18/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Looks like we're on opposite ends of the RF spectrum. I've lost some of my interest in punching single holes at close range and am looking forward to the integration of more skill-based factors. It's like you said: whatever works for you.

Anyway, congrats on the rifle and scope. Very nice set up despite personal preferences.

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took the chance on a rougher gun which had already been chopped. I fixed up the stock a bit (there was a crack up front and some dings) and then gave it a quick spray with the Whatchagot Green rattle can I found in the garage. It is crude, yes, but then the peace afforded to not having to think about scuffs, etc., can be tangible. The groups it makes are not so crude smile

[Linked Image]

The above 54 came with a second full-length barreled action, which I let set around a couple months until deciding I should figure out what to do with it. A gunsmith down in Southern California said he had a bolt he could marry to it, so I sent it down to have the bore inspected for viability. Once approved (the interior was excellent - the exterior was around 90%), he shortened the barrel, hit the whole deal with cerakote, and set it into a stock. I've had it out to the range twice in the last two weekends with 1/2-3/4 moa results at 50, but it has been gusty so I think it'll go better weather permitting.

[Linked Image]

Anyone know what the threaded hold in the right side of the green stock is?

Last edited by Fiddy; 06/07/15.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.