OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.apple.com/watch/gallery/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't worn a watch in years. Between my phone and my vehicle, there's always something around me that tells time. So, that's not the reason. And I wear a uniform daily, so it's not about style

But I'm seriously considering one of these... and here's why:

I can't get my phone out of my pockets if I'm wearing normal jeans with a duty belt. And the new iPhones are too big to fit in a shirt pocket. So that leaves me with either 1) going to more cargo pant style designs (which are not looked upon favorably by the higher ups, though technically allowed by policy) whose pockets I'm able to reach below or around my holster or mag pouches, 2) use pancake leather type holsters and pouches, which suck for weapon retention and speed in comparison... Or consider this little doohickey.

Had never really considered something like this before, but I like the idea of being able to answer texts and phone calls, read emails or get directions with something small on my wrist and not have to dig out my phone from my pockets. Supposed to work when the phone is within 15 feet, so it could be stored in the truck and I'd still get notifications when near the vehicle. And for what it's worth, I did just order the enormous iPhone 6plus, mostly because of additional battery life and I think this little gadget would go well with it. And for work, I already have a 5s, which is supposed to work with the Apple Watch.

So, what do you think? Just for nerds? Has some useful function? Totally superfluous if you have to have a phone anyway? Kinda nice looking for a nerd tool?

Last edited by exbiologist; 09/18/14.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Totally superfluous if you have to have a phone anyway?

That about covers it.
But if YOU want it, buy it
It's only money

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd not buy one but I bet they sell a bunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.
But millions will.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The day I quit wearing a watch was a very good day.

I almost always wear an bluetooth earpiece, because I can't afford to quit working just because a customer wants to yack about something. So, no, don't need it. The earpiece will read and send texts, pick up the phone, read messages, etc.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
do you guys remember back 20 years ago when all you heard was how lap cumputer small screens were going to ruin everyones eyes staring at those screens. now the industry keeps building this stuff smaller and smaller and know one seems to care. the regular size computer monitor has ruined my eyes now.

i bet the eye docs are loving it

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I wear a watch every day, but it's a good old fashioned self wind Omega or Bell and Ross, an Ernst Benz or my old Seiko Dive watch.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been wearing a Wenger dive watch for 15 - 20 years, works fine. In a pinch it would serve as a nice pair of brass knucks, don't think the I watch or what ever it's named, would hold up to rough usage.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not really an Apple guy, but I've had a Pebble watch for about six months now. Mostly it tells time using interesting watch faces, but when something interesting happens on my phone (appointment rolls around; email, text, or tweet arrives for me; weather alert is declared; GPS says there's a turn coming up; etc.) my watch vibrates and shows the notification.

Helpful, useful, fun...but not necessary. Also aggravating that I have to charge the battery every five to seven days.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Guess I'm a dinosaur. I wear the same (mechanical, self-winding) watch I've been wearing for forty-five years. Gotta admit, though, the wife did get me an I phone and I kind of like it (when I remember to take it with me.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was watching Jeff Dunham last night with Walter. They got to talking about the origins of the "Swatch" and attributed that to Switzerland.

Walter went off on a tangent speculating what they would have called it had it originated from Croatia.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Pebble as well. I'm a runner and it started out as a way to control my cell phone to log runs. It evolved from there and I wear the Pebble more and more. I'm a watch-wearer so it isn't much of a stretch.

I will definitely pick up an Apple watch.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wear a wristwatch. And my cellphone hangs around my neck.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seldom wear a watch. Don't and won't own a smart phone. Do have a cell phone, but only turn it on to call my wife and then turn it off again. Make a call maybe once a month.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would I wear a smart watch?

Sure. It wouldn't be my first choice but I do enjoy gadgetry.

Would I wear an apple smart watch? No, but that's just for personal reasons. I don't like apple.

I'm happy with a cheap timex

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm going to stick with old faithful. I'm just not a new tech guy.

[Linked Image]

smile smile smile

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your watch is so-so, but your sweater is awesome - Alpaca?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, what does that remind me of? laugh
[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Really like my iphone....not into the watch.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,971
Posts18,480,699
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.