Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Potterfield should take a long, hard look at his web site and capability. I ordered two simple things n batteries and a magazine for my wife's pistol. Three days later I get an e-mail telling me that the magazine is out of stock but will be available in a week or so BUT at 8% higher cost. The batteries also increased in cost - almost 100%. I swallowed hard and re-entered all of my information twenty minutes ago. The order is still sitting there, as am I. In another two minutes the order will be cancelled and I will leave Midway USA, never to return.

This is VERY LOUSY business practice. I have been forced to scratch another company from my good guy list. What a shame.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were they on clearance when you bought them?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
better to note the situation in a email to them noting why you are cancelling the order and see if you get a corrective response.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
midway is over priced anyway. i can always beat there prices.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
And the order still has not been placed.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by srwshooter
midway is over priced anyway. i can always beat there prices.

This.
I used to buy from midway when they offered free shipping. Since they started charging for that, other places are cheaper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They have to reorder inventory too. If their costs go up, they must pass them along. I don't understand the bitching. It's not like Larry Potterfield is pulling orders himself. They do a big volume and have a vast inventory. You can find better prices, but Midway gets out of stock (read: unavailable due to manufacturer shortages) in faster than most any place else.

If you haven't noticed, shooting supplies have been a challenge to come in the past few years.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had two issues with midway back to back. For years they have been the company that really really impressed me.

First issue was a completely wrong part....it happens.

Second issue was paid for 2 day shipping and it sat in process for an extra 2 days....it happens

What really left a bad taste in my mouth was when I called the customer service department...very poor service. Almost like an outsourced call center.

It used to be that I didn't mind the higher prices because I new it would I could count on great service and fast shipping. Lately not so much.

I haven't given up hope on Midway because i think that if Oldman Potterfield knew about these growing business pains. He would work to remedy them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a couple reasons to buy from Midway. Free shipping and price matching. Their prices are usually, as stated above, higher than competitors.

That said, If you watch prices closely, you can sometimes get same pricing as competition.

Another note, they have recently been running a "new customer" $15 or $20 discount (which rubs me the wrong way). I have taken full advantage of that on 2 or 3 recent occasions (and I am by no means a "new customer"). Flew like an eagle.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluesman
Potterfield should take a long, hard look at his web site and capability. I ordered two simple things n batteries and a magazine for my wife's pistol. Three days later I get an e-mail telling me that the magazine is out of stock but will be available in a week or so BUT at 8% higher cost. The batteries also increased in cost - almost 100%.

So they cancelled your order because things weren't in stock so they could raise prices?

I had an order - 5 boxes of 100- delivered to me at 5 boxes of 50. I was sure it had been 5 boxes of 100 when I placed the order. Even so, I went back and checked my electronic invoice; sure enough it showed 5 boxes of 100. So I emailed them to let them know. The next morning I got an email back from them which said "no - the order had been filled correctly but there had been a mistake on the website". The product had sold out but they apparently made a 'correction' to their website history anyway as my electronic invoice had also changed to show 5 boxes of 50. I just about blew up on them. I insisted that they honor what had already been purchased - but I have not spent a penny with them since. Yes- they need someone who is computer savvy, but also with a thread of ethics, to help them get their electronic 'house' in order.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 09/21/14.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
G
I used to buy almost everything from Midway but now I can beat their prices without to much looking around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
when a person has been a loyal customer for 30 years or so and a company comes out with a "new customer discount" it is like a middle finger to me the old customer.
the only time I got free shipping from midway was when I had a shop(ffl) in
California. about the only thing I use Midway for anymore is price comparison on items from amazon or ebay. Larry is to busy making videos to run the store anymore.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....wish I had a piece of 7RSAUM brass for every time I called Larry up and told him the same thing.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have pretty much quit ordering from them unless their price on something pretty expensive is the best I can find. I've had several orders of less than $100 where shipping and handling added up to between a 50 to 100 percent increase.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bluesman
This is VERY LOUSY business practice.
Agreed. Cheaper Than Dirt did precisely the same to me a couple of years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Midway's gone through allot of changes over the years. Most of them for the worse IMO, so I seldom buy from them anymore but I'd hate to think what it would have been like without them when I started reloading 35 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greed sets in..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Midway has dropped to one of the last places I look. Powder Valley, Mid South, Grafs and 3rd Generation Shooting is where I buy 95% of my stuff. Now that I have moved to Tucson, I dont know how much online buying I will do, have to get out and look around.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have to say the same. I used to buy a lot from them. Seemingly within a short time prices and shipping cost got crazy higher than other places. I know they have made progress on shipping costs. Hard to get back into the swing of ordering from them. They are about fifth down the list for me right now.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not had a bad experience with Midway and have thousands of dollars in orders with them over the last decade.

I did return some items recently and specified a refund but they gave me credit, not really a problem but I would have called if it was more than a hundred bucks simply to put the money back in my bank.

Cheaper is normally better for me but fast processing is good too.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.