Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The thread about deer camp being near and upon us reminded me of what I and my huting friends do to keep, and sometimes gain for the first time, access to private land to hunt upon.

Maybe these will assist some of you, and if YOU have ideas or tactics that have worked for you, gaining hunting access where you live, PLEASE add them here!

Out here in SE Washingtons arid Mule Deer country, one needs to have access to many hundred of acres of land (thousands of acres is better) to have a place to hunt. Most of the land owned around here is measured in hundreds of acres or more so buying a hunting camp plot is out of the question for us middle class folks.

My methods HAVE, however, worked to get us a couple of smaller plots to hunt ducks and pheasant on in the rare wet spots near here. I absolutely LOVE having small farm ponds and creeks to hunt on. Or at least I did when I was more able to utilize them.

These ideas possibly would be less effective in highly populated areas, or areas with great demand for highly sought after animals, but out here in rural SouthEastern WA this method has worked pretty well for us. I am putting it here in case it helps a member or two to gain access to some good places to hunt.

If you live in WA state or wish to hunt here, please be a good sportsman and do not copycat my idea for trying to gain access on the land in between (North of) Clyde and the Snake River as this is the stomping grounds I and my family and buddies have hunted for 31 years now. Bad manners to use my method to try to bump me/us out of our long hunted area. If you want to hunt in this region, I am most happy to help you find some other good spots nearby, and, being retired, I can even look up and send you some landowners names and addresses. Happy to do it and help you out, no cost of course.

We in our small band of hunters take up a collection between ourselves each late summer, and I handle the details from there. We set aside some of the moeny for buying steel T Posts, cement, gate building posts and chains and no tresspassing signs, 2x4 and 4x4 treated wood posts for building or repairing water guzzlers, salt and mineral blocks etc but MOST of the money is used to purchase generous gift cards and or gifts for the landowners who have allowed us access in the past, and smaller gifts and gift cards for propery owners who have not allowed permission in the past, YET! grin

Here is the rest of my plan, in case my ideas help someone else here gain access to a piece of land to hunt on.....

Most of the CRP and wheat land around here is owned by folks several states away or at least on the wet opposite and populated side of the state.

I contact these folks by looking them up in the county records, and in my letter (sent priority mail in a large flat envelope to look and feel more important) I offer in writing that my hunting group will 1) post - at our expense- and patrol the land, keeping large vehicles from driving cross country right across everything 2) build and or keep in good repair the water guzzlers (needed out in this arid region) that all of the wildlife uses or any other habitat improvement the landowner would like to see done and 3) treat the land with great care. This year, we included a couple of small gifts with the permission request letters for the first time, so I am hoping for a little bit better response. The only letter I was able to deliver in person to a landowner who lives in town here was well recieved, and permission was granted. My buddies and I are having a work day on Tuesday to post up this new to us property and look it over a little.

I hope my idea is found useful to someone here. It has kept our little band of brothers in great deer hunting territory for the past several decades. Good luck and good hunting! MARK

PS: Please post up your thoughts here, and more importantly, YOUR ideas that have worked to gain you access to places to hunt or fish.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone wants to use this method in the restricted zone, I'll throw in to help with your postage and important looking envelopes.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In most area's and hunting groups, going around someone who has shown you a good area is considered quite rude. Is this different in MT?

IF someone reading this wants to hunt nearby similar good mule deer country, PM me and I will look up some landowner info in great areas for you, and you can try my method or a different one if you care to.

If you want to hunt with me and my group, PM Me and I will try to work you into our plans, depending upon how much land we get the OK on this year.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All sales final on one of your classifieds azz fuuckings seems pretty rude, too. But maybe not with you..

I can only imagine what con this is operating on, and the suckers getting pulled in on it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had to gain access to hunting land in Texas for 20 years mainly for predator calling. Because I'm feeling nice today, I'll be frank to you. I'm not sure why honestly.

What you are proposing is the exact opposite of what works large scale. You may get some small acreage places to hunt in your way (it sounds like it) but those who use the land for their livelihood will be skeptical of your approach.

They will ignore your letter, not want you messing with their guzzlers/water, and will likely not want you to set foot upon it ever with an approach like that especially without a meeting or five.

Ranchers are the best people on the planet but do not like sheisters. Based on how you conduct yourself on here, they'd spot you right off. I know I would.

Fact to face is the only way I have ever received permission to land. The land ownership in Texas vs. western public land states may have played a role in the attitude.

That you found someone who responded and granted you access makes me question what was in the letter...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're basically leasing the land.

If someone makes a better offer, and it's accepted, that's just how life works

I'm not sure what (other than arrogance) would make you think you originated this concept

Last edited by Snyper; 09/20/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by safariman

If you live in WA state or wish to hunt here, please be a good sportsman and do not copycat my idea for trying to gain access on the land in between (North of) Clyde and the Snake River as this is the stomping grounds I and my family and buddies have hunted for 31 years now. Bad manners to use my method to try to bump me/us out of our long hunted area.

Okay take it easy now Safari and don't get ticked off....

I just google Earth'd that area and found a couple real 'sleeper' buck spots....

You can't get mad if I send off just a couple manila envelopes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way ahead of you Sam. I just was classy enough NOT to tell him until I was over there.

Oh well. Carpool?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know those landowners.
I can hook you longdickers up.
Just send me a little coin to grease the rails..........once.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Check's in the mail.

PS Don't tell Safariman.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He can't read....

Or comprehend......

Good times.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been laughing to myself while thinking about this all day..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best comedy is unintentional comedy.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No I did not think this idea was original to me, just maybe a couple of twists on the old theme. I mostly wanted to spark a conversation and do some idea sharing with other hunters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg pretty much nailed it.

We own property and hunt on it, but I also ask every year to hunt other landowners property.

I know if I received a certified letter, from someone I didn't know, with a gift cert in it, the whole thing would hit the trash. The warning bells would be going off in my head because it would seem like a scam of some sort from a stranger.

Last edited by Lonny; 09/21/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect the first thing I'd do with such a letter and inquiry would be to run a google search on the individual sending me that letter, followed by contacting local and state law enforcement and licensure agencies, and probably any public court records as well.

Between what can be found out about people through licensure agencies and actions, public court records including bankruptcy cases, Internet forums, and other easily searched databases, the determination of whether or not I responded and how I would respond might already be determined.

If the person checked out, I might ask them to meet with me and take it from there. If the person did not check out, I'd consider issuing them a very specific letter forbidding their presence on my property with that letter also being filed with the local and state law enforcement and game agencies.

What works for me is to know the people in my area and when the time and topic are appropriate then hunting access comes up. I don't purposefully target properties for access, though.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got to say that if I owned a spread, and got a note from a total stranger telling me he'd post my land, "patrol" it, and keep people out, it would not sit well.

Not to mention the fact that by accepting his offer I would essentially be making the total stranger my agent and thereby exposing myself to all liabilities resulting from his actions.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've got to say that if I owned a spread, and got a note from a total stranger telling me he'd post my land, "patrol" it, and keep people out, it would not sit well.

Not to mention the fact that by accepting his offer I would essentially be making the total stranger my agent and thereby exposing myself to all liabilities resulting from his actions.

yah think......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by smokepole

yah think......

Obviously, yes he does.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by safariman
The thread about deer camp being near and upon us reminded me of what I and my huting friends do to keep, and sometimes gain for the first time, access to private land to hunt upon.

Maybe these will assist some of you, and if YOU have ideas or tactics that have worked for you, gaining hunting access where you live, PLEASE add them here!

Out here in SE Washingtons arid Mule Deer country, one needs to have access to many hundred of acres of land (thousands of acres is better) to have a place to hunt. Most of the land owned around here is measured in hundreds of acres or more so buying a hunting camp plot is out of the question for us middle class folks.

My methods HAVE, however, worked to get us a couple of smaller plots to hunt ducks and pheasant on in the rare wet spots near here. I absolutely LOVE having small farm ponds and creeks to hunt on. Or at least I did when I was more able to utilize them.

These ideas possibly would be less effective in highly populated areas, or areas with great demand for highly sought after animals, but out here in rural SouthEastern WA this method has worked pretty well for us. I am putting it here in case it helps a member or two to gain access to some good places to hunt.

If you live in WA state or wish to hunt here, please be a good sportsman and do not copycat my idea for trying to gain access on the land in between (North of) Clyde and the Snake River as this is the stomping grounds I and my family and buddies have hunted for 31 years now. Bad manners to use my method to try to bump me/us out of our long hunted area. If you want to hunt in this region, I am most happy to help you find some other good spots nearby, and, being retired, I can even look up and send you some landowners names and addresses. Happy to do it and help you out, no cost of course.

We in our small band of hunters take up a collection between ourselves each late summer, and I handle the details from there. We set aside some of the moeny for buying steel T Posts, cement, gate building posts and chains and no tresspassing signs, 2x4 and 4x4 treated wood posts for building or repairing water guzzlers, salt and mineral blocks etc but MOST of the money is used to purchase generous gift cards and or gifts for the landowners who have allowed us access in the past, and smaller gifts and gift cards for propery owners who have not allowed permission in the past, YET! grin

Here is the rest of my plan, in case my ideas help someone else here gain access to a piece of land to hunt on.....

Most of the CRP and wheat land around here is owned by folks several states away or at least on the wet opposite and populated side of the state.

I contact these folks by looking them up in the county records, and in my letter (sent priority mail in a large flat envelope to look and feel more important) I offer in writing that my hunting group will 1) post - at our expense- and patrol the land, keeping large vehicles from driving cross country right across everything 2) build and or keep in good repair the water guzzlers (needed out in this arid region) that all of the wildlife uses or any other habitat improvement the landowner would like to see done and 3) treat the land with great care. This year, we included a couple of small gifts with the permission request letters for the first time, so I am hoping for a little bit better response. The only letter I was able to deliver in person to a landowner who lives in town here was well recieved, and permission was granted. My buddies and I are having a work day on Tuesday to post up this new to us property and look it over a little.

I hope my idea is found useful to someone here. It has kept our little band of brothers in great deer hunting territory for the past several decades. Good luck and good hunting! MARK

PS: Please post up your thoughts here, and more importantly, YOUR ideas that have worked to gain you access to places to hunt or fish.

This has to be the dumbest thing I've read on here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.