Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recall the night before my first opening day of firearms deer season. I was 14 and was as nervous and anxious as a 7 year old on Christmas Eve. When bedtime came I couldn't fall asleep, and then suddenly, my Dad was shaking me awake. With bleary eyes I staggered down the hall and into the kitchen where the aroma of brewing coffee and hot chocolate greeted me. With thermoses filled and our warm hunting suits zipped up, we switched on our flashlights and headed out into the darkness, cradling Winchester 94's in the crook or our arms - Dad and eldest son, hunting deer together for the first time.

Somehow, that was 31 years ago, which may account for why I don't remember where I sat that first opening morning. I also don't remember what if anything we saw. I do know that it was a few years before finally getting my first buck from the land I grew up prowling as a kid, first with a Red Ryder, then a Crosman pump pellet rifle, then Grandpa's .22, Dad's shotgun and finally, my own deer rifle.

I have an awful lot of good memories from my early years of hunting, but none quite as good as the memory of anticipating my first opening day. I'd give quite a bit of my material belongings to go back and experience that time again, but I can't. But I found something that comes pretty close.

Tomorrow morning will be a new kind of opening day for me...and my son. It'll be his very first opening morning of chasing whitetails with his Dad, yours truly and the feeling I'm getting as the time draws near is darned near the same as what I experienced for a couple mid-November days 31 years ago.

Yesterday we checked the hunting site we'll use tomorrow morning and found lots of good sign. Then hopped into the truck and went to the local general/convenience store and bought his first hunting license. Tonight we'll stuff a couple small packs with snacks and a book or 2, lay out the last of our clothes, then hit the pillow at a reasonable time after making sure to set the alarm clock.

Tomorrow morning will be his first opening day and it'll be a first for me, too, but it feels an awful lot like I've done this before. I can hardly wait. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh you are such a lucky man! My son turned 17 last month, but I remember that first hunt/season with him. He was 9 that year and killed his first deer. I have been so Blessed that he has hunted with me ever since, and now I realize the hunts will be waning as he starts college next year.

God bless you and your son. Savor every second and best of luck.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is awesome. This year will be the first since I was in the army that I probably won't get much hunting done at all, due to the addition of our second child a week ago. With a newborn and a 2.5 year old in the house, I can hardly find time to keep our grass cut! Your experience serves to remind me that these two little ones will come of age soon enough, and that we should enjoy these little ones while they are little. After all, they'll only be this age once. Thank you!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I got fired up just reading that! Good luck!! I can't wait to see the pics on Sunday night.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool. Can't wait to read the report. (complete with picts wink )

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're a lucky man. Dad and Grandad had both hung up their gun before I came online. I had to start in my mid-twenties, mostly on my own.

About 5 years ago, I had the chance to drive with the family past the property where I did my first few years of bow hunting. It was 3 hours out from town and we had to go way out of our way to come through there. We got to the little town of Ilseboro, Ohio and if I had not been familiar with the lay of it, I would have never recognized the property. The house was gone. The barns were gone. It had been subdivided 5 ways and everything was munged up.

Luckily I own the property we have for deer camp, and Lord willing, my grandchildren will be able to take their kids out on their first hunt here.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good luck with the hunt. Hope the rain holds off.

One of my fondest (and proudest) hunting memories is putting my daughter on an 8 point during her first youth hunt and watching her double lung it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
W
Good luck to you guys this fall. Nothing like the first fall for a youngster.

I have 3 sons that hunt with me, the youngest is now 17 and the oldest 26 with his own children now but hunting has always been a very special family time for us. My boys are my hunting partners now. I seldom go with anyone else these days. I can recall every one of their kill better than my own. And now,, 11 years away my grand daughter will start with us and after that my grand son in 13 years.. Lord willing it never stops..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, guys. Unfortunately a wrinkle has developed - my son appears to be coming down with something. He's got a bit of a fever and loss of appetite, but he's in good spirits and hopeful that he'll be feeling well enough to go out in the morning.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm happy to report that there is a new successful hunter in the family. grin Caleb was feeling well enough to go out for a while in the morning, but finally had to head in to the house due to an upset stomach. He was feeling much better by the afternoon and we got settled in around 4 pm - just in time for some heavy rains to roll in.

This is a special 2 day hunt for youths and is open to bucks or does. Caleb made it clear that he wanted to shooting a buck for his first deer and I had been seeing a buck with tall spikes and 1 short brow tine, so I had hopes the he might wander in close enough to be within easy range for Caleb. The buck showed and presented an easy 25 yard broadside shot.

Here he is with my Ruger Compact .223 just moments after putting a 60 grain Partition through the shoulders of his first buck. Yep, another stunt shooter. wink

[Linked Image]

The buck made a run of about 70 yards before piling up. Here's Caleb with his velvet covered 3 pointer.

[Linked Image]

Except for the waiting, he handled the hunt very well. He actually spotted the deer first, was very patient about waiting for the perfect angle on the deer and placed his shot just about perfectly.

He's very proud of his accomplishment and my wife and I couldn't be happier for him. We'll be steaking out the best bits and canning the rest this week.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wow! Congrats to the new hunter! He deserves to be proud of himself!

And his dad too! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please tell the young man "congratulations" for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That young man looks kinda familiar, that rifle too.

Good job Scott and Caleb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well alright! Knuckle-bump to Caleb!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A Big Congrads to Caleb! the weather around Cadillac, has been wet and windy this weekend! makeing it tough on the young hunters!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice work!

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Keep a journal and take pictures, it goes fast. I never went anywhere without my boys. One day they are packing your rifle, the next thing you know, they are packing you...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for him, good for you....great way to get started.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks a lot for all the kind words, guys. I've been passing them on to Caleb.

Shrapnel, I know what you mean. I can't believe that my little man is a successful hunter already. Where did the time go?

W
W
Way to cool..

Big congrats to the young hunter..

Good kill Caleb..

Last edited by Walleyes; 09/21/14.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.