Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rosco you think they might be a bit soft for elk up close?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rosco1
Yes that was the reason..However,I no longer want to anneal them..They expand just fine ha.

The entrance was hard to find, just a .284" hole. Somewhere in the chest cavity all hell broke loose, it literally took off his offside shoulder on the exit..I took a pic for this post. but dont think i'll put it up, just think vollyball size hole where the shoulder WAS.

No thanks. I like putting meat in the freezer, not wonder where it all went....

Then I suppose you keep bullets off the shoulders and would be just fine, even with a Scenar..Even tho it was a graphic sight, I lost no more meat than I did on the last lope I shot in the shoulder with a Barnes bullet.

Shoot them in the shoulder bones, you're going to lose some of that delicious sinew that they are made up of.I knew that going into it, believe it or not..

R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Rosco you think they might be a bit soft for elk up close?

I dont think so, I know lope are small animals but it went through a decent amount of bone and exited, from 70 yards..My thinking is it would work just fine on elk.I'll be using them on my next rifle elk hunt.

Just wanted to add, my friend used a 7RM and 150 scirocco, pretty much the same shot, 120 yards..We found the bullet jacket in the chest cavity..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mmm.....the SS II is supposed to be a "bonded" bullet and jacket and core should stay together.

Wonder what happened there?

R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't know.. Seen it with accubonds before too.. The swifts have always had a huge mushroom IME..

That is the second S2 I've seen caught by a pronghorn at close range, first one was out of a 300RUM,but it had a picture perfect mushroom, just minimal penetration.

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob
Looking at the jacket thickness/shape and hollow cavity helps determine how the bullet might react and expand when being shot into an animal. Having shot a number of animals with the berger vld I am going to be trying a few other bullets also. You need to remember that a bullet such as this is designed to penetrate and then open causing massive trauma. The scenar and hybrid bergers are know to also stay together a bit better and exit.
Not being a smartass but how can you tell a partition will kill looking at the construction of it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 805
Bob
Looking at the jacket thickness/shape and hollow cavity helps determine how the bullet might react and expand when being shot into an animal. Having shot a number of animals with the berger vld I am going to be trying a few other bullets also. You need to remember that a bullet such as this is designed to penetrate and then open causing massive trauma. The scenar and hybrid bergers are know to also stay together a bit better and exit.
Not being a smartass but how can you tell a partition will kill looking at the construction of it?

805: Thanks for the explanation!

To answer your question on the Partition,it's pretty simple but maybe Nosler says it better than I can smile :

Partition Bullet
PARTITION BULLET

1 Nosler Engineering
Nosler�s special lead-alloy, dual-core provides superior mushrooming characteristics at virtually all impact velocities.

2 Fully Tapered Copper-Alloy Jacket
Ruptures instantly at the thin jacket mouth, yet the gradual thickening along the bullet�s axis controls expansion and curls the jacket uniformly outward at high and low velocities.

3 Nosler�s Integral Partition
Supports the expanded mushroom and retains the rear lead-alloy core. The enclosed rear core retains more than two-thirds of the original bullet weight for deep penetration.

4 Dual-Core Construction
Every Partition� bullet in the Nosler� line delivers optimum length, weight and ogive design for maximum in-flight and terminal performance.

5 Special Crimp Locks
Adds strength to resist deformation under the pressure of heavy magnums.

Edited to add: I just went to the Lapua web site to learn something about the Scenar. It seems it has been designed and refined as a target bullet for competition, and not as a game bullet, like a Partition. At least Lapua makes no mention of its use as a hunting bullet. It seems Lapua makes other bullets for that.

I can only conclude from this that its effectiveness on game is more "accident" than intentional by design. So my question was a valid one, since I was wondering what characteristics a guy looks for when evaluating a target bullet for use on BG animals,since the target bullet was not designed by its maker for that purpose? I really don't know what you look for under those circumstances.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/22/14.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob
Thanks for the explanation!

Simply put any bullet into the vitals causing damage is going to be pretty good for a kill. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I prefer the accuracy and results of the vld type bullets. I have used many bullet types though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bob,

I believe 805 and Rosco did a great job explaining how a a bullet might react when hitting game. I liked the Scenar cut away Rosco posted, because it showed the jacket thickness and bullet tip cavity compared to a Berger Hunting Classic Hybrid. Kinda gives you an idea of the construction of the projectile and how it might penetrate.

Rosco is simply sharing his findings, performance, and outcome on thin skin animals. I was going to ask him why anneal tip; However, he answered that already. The reason some like to use target bullets on game is because of their accuracy and BC. As 805 mention if you can put any bullet into the vitals, it will be a good kill.

It also depends what you're hunting as well.

Last edited by trailrider121; 09/22/14.
R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,Lapua has never made a recommendation of the Scenar as a game bullet, I suspect they never will. I dont think they care..Like you said they have bullets like the Oryx that are great game bullets,and are popular with the Scandinavians that use the bulk of them.

Interestingly enough, Berger never recommended their bullets for hunting either, in fact it never crossed Walt's mind that his bullets would become popular hunting bullets, but he got enough feedback that they started marketing them as hunting bullets.

But wouldn't you know, Lapua has had basically the same bullet design since what, 1918? I dont know without looking it up, but they go back at least to the 20's when that feller won the Wimbledon with a 300 H&H, using Lapua Scenar bullets.

Using that info, one can assume, with a bit of testing that the Scenar might work pretty good as a hunting bullet, even tho the manufacturer dont market them as such.

To a lesser extent the SMK is in the same category, in fact I can distinctly remember Craig Boddington being flogged by readers/internet types for recommending the SMK for hunting..Even tho I suspect his personal opinion has not changed, I bet if he ever uses an SMK again it will suddenly become a partition in his written document, because of the public outcry he got when Sierra didn't back him up.

Last edited by rosco1; 09/24/14.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by trailrider121
Thanks for the cut away of the projectiles. Those Scenars look like they would perform well.

Tell me how you can tell how they will perform on game by looking at the jackets? I am curious how you guys evaluate performance on game from looking at the jackets of target bullets?

I am not being a smart ass....I wold like to know because I am used to looking at the construction of bullets designed for BG hunting.

Rosco: Nice shot! wink smile at least you were ready to go long if you needed to.

The sectioned bullets show that they are nothing more than a cup and core bullet and are extremely similar to the Bergers as well as the SMK's.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here is a 123gr 6.5 Scenar that hit soft dirt at 1000 yds. Didn't know where else to post this. Thought it was a neat find though. The ones that were hitting steel were mangled like usual.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.