-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been using the electric RCBS charge master for about 5 years but I think mine is losing its accuracy. I calibrate it almost every time I use it with the weights but the last few trips to the range I've had some huge standard deviations. (Over 100 fps) I put a load weighing 78 gr on my acculab scale last night and it was .4 higher than what the RCBS said it was. I love the speed of the electric but need something with more precision. Ideas?

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Redding.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Send your Charge Master in to RCBS. They will fix it up and have you throwing precise loads in no time.

Redding for a powder measure.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I said measure - but meant scale. I have the redding 3BR powder thrower. Maybe use that and the acculab scale in the meantime...will give RCBS a call.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Chargemaster will get screwy if I forget and lay my phone near it. Just a thought.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought this one back when it was $400:

http://cambridgeenviro.com/productD...5-Year-Warranty-Top-Loading-Balance-5110

VERY pleased with it. I tend to go months without resetting the zero, and it will resolve a single extruded kernal reliably. I think it's about as cheap as you'll find a magnetic force restoration balance.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I said measure - but meant scale.

Redding.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658771/redding-2-master-magnetic-powder-scale-505-grain-capacity

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Harrell's,

I have a RCBS and an old Liman. The Harrell's gets used.

Last edited by Scott F; 09/23/14.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have both the Redding and RCBS 10-10, can't go wrong with either.
If I were starting from scratch, would go with the Redding

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

VERY pleased with it. I tend to go months without resetting the zero, and it will resolve a single extruded kernal reliably. I think it's about as cheap as you'll find a magnetic force restoration balance.

That's badass - wish I'd have bought it when it was $400, but it's $525 Canadian which is like $475. Going to give it a whirl and use the chargemaster to get close and then trickle. Grabbed an omega trickler also that will throw one kernel of powder. Lot of money to spend to be minute of deer and elk...

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I do it almost 180 degrees in the other direction. I use a powder measure to throw a grain or two short and then use the Chargemaster to top off the load to the desired weight. Very quick, but that method wouldn't be of help to you if your Chargemaster isn't holding its calibration correctly.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

That's badass - wish I'd have bought it when it was $400, but it's $525 Canadian which is like $475. Going to give it a whirl and use the chargemaster to get close and then trickle. Grabbed an omega trickler also that will throw one kernel of powder. Lot of money to spend to be minute of deer and elk...

Are you guys shooting long range benchrest or F class?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Are you guys shooting long range benchrest or F class?

I'm usually shooting at elk within 250 yards, with a flat shooting magnum. But being able to pick the hair I want to take out on the entry is of utmost importance to me.

Handloading is just one of those things where my personality becomes a disorder and I am always trying to put a little more effort into precision. It's primarily a confidence thing - even though every animal I've ever killed would probably have died just fine if my gun was 2 moa instead of 1/2 moa, it's one of those things that gives me enjoyment since I'm investing all of this time and money into it. I've still got a long way to go, I'm sure.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've found there are several other ducks to get in a row before I need to worry about gnat's ass precision powder charges. Making sure I assemble straight cartridges is my main focus.

For example, a little while back I fired fifteen shots at 300 yards from one of my 308's. There were three five shot groups, one group each at three different types of targets I was evaluating. One group was .76 MOA, one was .57 MOA, and the other was .59 MOA. Overlaying the targets on my underlit map table and centering up the points of aim reveal all fifteen shots fit within the .76 MOA group. None of the charges of IMR4895 had been weighed, and the scope I used to shoot those groups tops out at an actual magnification of only 3.9x.

The load is well developed in the sense that small charge variations don't bother it, and the cartridges had very little runout.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had great results with a Dillon D Terminator scale
Dillon Scale

Also really like the JDS powder measure for stick powders
JDS measuer

You could buy both grin

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thrown charge update:

Yesterday I shot three, four shot groups with another one of my 308's. The loads used thrown charges of IMR4064, a Lincoln Log type powder. The scope was set to 6.5x.

The worst group was 1/2 MOA. Overlaying the three targets on my light table shows all twelve shots going into 5/8 MOA.

The load was an approximation of the MK 316 Mod 0 round that generated some internet chatter a while back.

I'm using a Redding BR30 measure. When I set it up I don't weigh individual charges. I weigh ten throws together, slide the decimal point over one place, and that's the charge I write down.

Last edited by mathman; 09/25/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have found over the years that the Redding BR-30 to be a great measure and very reliable. I currently have a Harrell's premium but would be more than happy with a BR-30. Just my experience.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I said measure - but meant scale. I have the redding 3BR powder thrower. Maybe use that and the acculab scale in the meantime...will give RCBS a call.

RCBS or Ohaus 10-10.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.