Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

1) What is the best quality DA revolver?

2) What is the best bang-for-the-buck DA revolver?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bang for the buck is the Ruger Redhawk.

Best quality is opening a can of worms.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1) Smith & Wesson

2) Ruger

The others are either out of my price range or below my standards.

Take it for what it's worth.

WFR

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smith & Wesson N-frame for quality, because of the fit, finish, smother action, ect.

Ruger Redhawk, best bang for the buck. Also heavier and stronger built. But they are just as accurate as any of my N-frame S&W's in .44 mag.
And I've yet to so see a "worn out" Ruger Redhawk!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/23/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best quality in terms of fit/finish, or accuracy? Smith has always had the edge over Ruger in terms of a smooth action, but in terms of accuracy I think the super redhawk will go head to head with any gun and likely outshoot most of them.

So I'd give the super redhawk the best bang for the buck in terms off accuracy and durability.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
1. Ruger Redhawk or Alaskan
2. Ruger Redhawk or Alsakan

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I were buying a brand new DA revolver in 44 magnum, it would definitely be a Ruger Redhawk.

The only thing from Smith and Wesson that I would be interested in that is new would be the model 69. But it is a 5 shot revolver on an L frame. And then I would have to look it over in person to make sure the little detent lined up properly.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You didn't specify if you're looking for new or used.

If new is the only option then I agree with the Ruger Redhawk recommendations. Not a fan of the new S&W's.

If used is an option I'd find a sweet 629-4 with a 4" half-lug barrel or the same with a 5" full-lug in the Classic configuration.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Smith & Wesson N-frame for quality, because of the fit, finish, smother action, ect.

Ruger Redhawk, best bang for the buck. Also heavier and stronger built. But they are just as accurate as any of my N-frame S&W's in .44 mag.
And I've yet to so see a "worn out" Ruger Redhawk!

I agree with everything here, but- the Redhawk's trigger just can't touch the Smith. Even after tuning.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WFR
You didn't specify if you're looking for new or used.

If new is the only option then I agree with the Ruger Redhawk recommendations. Not a fan of the new S&W's.

If used is an option I'd find a sweet 629-4 with a 4" half-lug barrel or the same with a 5" full-lug in the Classic configuration.

This X2�

I own ALOT of 44 Mags� and my favorite is my S&W 629-4MG� smooth DA cycle, the best SA trigger I've EVER owned, and very accurate. BUT, my Ruger SA 44 Mags (SBH, Bisley BH, and Vaqueros) are a lot of fun to shoot, and are all very accurate, and will shoot loads that would turn the Smith N Frame into shrapnel.

But that 629-4MG is sooooo sexy!

God Bless America!
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
s&w mountain gun

My diploma is a DD214
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A Colt Andaconda, of course.

Best bang for the buck, I would say Ruger.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have several S&W .44 mags and one Ruger Redhawk. If your primary criteria is strength, probably the Ruger would win hands down. There is little or nothing out there that can touch a standard, untuned S&W trigger. I don't think you could ever get there with a Ruger. My Smiths are more accurate, right across the board then the Ruger I own, but it is still a very accurate revolver. I comfortably shoot loads in the Ruger that, while they wouldn't turn the Smiths into shrapnel, would result in excessive, premature wear. You carry around a Smith for a while and the Ruger feels and handles something like a boat anchor. Really, running .44 magnum loads a Smith N frame won't handle is probably more a psychological than practical advantage.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good thing aesthetics weren't in the criteria or the Redhawks wouldn't even warrant an honorable mention.

grin

MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Good thing aesthetics weren't in the criteria or the Redhawks wouldn't even warrant an honorable mention.

grin

Fat bottom girls make the rocking' world go round!

God Bless America!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah, Redhawks don't look too bad.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But the Smiths are nice......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just take your pick. They'll both get the job done.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice taste in big-bores lastround!
That 6" 629 is dang near perfect!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
4" model 29.

Life's too short to look like a peasant.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

1) What is the best quality DA revolver?

2) What is the best bang-for-the-buck DA revolver?

#1 personal preference. For me, I prefer the craftsmanship of the older Smith and Wesson revolvers like the pinned and recessed N Frames like the 29-2.

Another newer nice example is the 29-4 from the early 90s with the endurance package. The 5" Classic and Classic DX are awesome examples from the period and are truly superb shooting machines.

Here is a pic of a 29-2:

[Linked Image]

For best bang for buck, in my opinion, that honor goes to the Redhawk. Built to shoot all the light loads you want at small game such as rabbits, as well as being built to shoot all the heavy elk stomping loads your wrists can endure, the Redhawks are hell for stout.

You can reasonably expect that 70 years from now your grandson will be shooting the same elk stomping loads through that old Redhawk that his long departed grandpa did.

He can look at pictures in an album and tell his kids that the gun he carries on his belt is the same one that grandpa took that old bull with...

That is another excellent reason to buy great leather the first time BTW.

[Linked Image]

Of course what I am posting is only opinion, and others may have totally different ideas. Hard to go wrong with a .44 Magnum though.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little surprised no one mentioned the fine Dan Wesson revolvers. I realize you can't just run down to the LGS and buy one new but they were quite popular at one time, especially with the IHMSA crowd.

Deus Juvat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.