Campfire Tracker
R

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I like Mule Deer and his work, but the ass kissing he receives on this site is getting old.

As far as the .270 Win and 130s on elk, I've seen it work more than a few times. Even with Wally world special Cup ~n Cores. No issues when lung/heart hit.

I do like my magnums though.

Hey Dick, how did 55 go?? Did I ever mention that the owner of pommerell is a personal friend of mine smile Tought him to trap yotes about 10 years ago, great guy..

Just interested in how you did, they are killing some of the biggest bulls Idaho has ever produced,this year, in that unit on OTC archery tags..Crazy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rosco1

So I hear! Hey, I just bought a Rem 700!

Do I really need to buy all that shidt for it, though?

I use the pre 64's just as they came. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You'll put your eye out with that escaping gas!

Hey, that just as valid of an argument as a 700's bolt handle falling off..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rosco, we are off topic (sorry for hijack) but sure it is....but I must easily be well into mid 5 figures for rounds through pre 64's (but under 6 figures) by now....not an incident.

OTOH a pal's eye was saved by shooting glasses last year from a Rem 700 when the gas came back from a badly blown primer......to be fair he had chambered a 270 in a 280...hard to blame the rifle for that one.

Point being when gas lets go and starts flowing, you aren't safe with hardly anything if the case does not seal the chamber and it gets past the rear of the breech

Generally Rem 700's have been good to me...I have seen issues with other people's rifles, but no snafu's for me yet. wink

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee's this was really I don't know what to say other that, there really is not a wit difference in the field with any of the cartridge/ bullet combinations mentioned, on the computer maybe but that is about it, ok I shoot a 7mm RM as my go to rifle these days, not so much because of the cartridge but more because I like the particular rifle, tastes and style has a lot to do with it. As for the Gun Writing thing, well that is a hard nut, Modern Small Bore Hi Velocity Smokeless Powder shooting has only been around for a 126 years or so, not much has changed over that period of time other that bullets sights powder has gotten some what better, what do you write when its be said countless times before over the years and with more people writing about it and being published than ever! It seems to me that a fellow like Mule Deer aka John B, who makes a full time living doing it is a rare exception rather than the rule. On top of being able to write well, to keep turning out stuff we loons will run to the local magazine rack to buy what ever to just read his latest take on things. As for HS teachers, well most of the ones I came in contact with while in HS and after I have long left stuck me as being for the most part to stupid to do anything else, and could not be trusted to pump the proper grade of fuel in my car, let alone the aircraft I fly!

Last edited by gmsemel; 09/24/14.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by SansSouci
Tell me, omniscient one, what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer. Take all the time you need. I can wait...forever!

The one I would shove up your ass until it made another point on your head if you were standing in front of me.

You owe me a keyboard, or at least help picking the bits of peach out from in between my keys!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sure thing, stop by or let me know when you're coming through, the door is always open.

And before anybody gets any ideas, I was being facetious. No way I'm going anywhere near his ass.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
........ what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer.................

The 270 Winchester! smile

This i agree with 100% and i could hunt with the 270 and be happy the rest of my life, but i must say the best cartridge for any type of hunting is the round the rifle you are carrying is chambered for and that you can shoot the best in the field . It really comes down to this,that some cartridges are better than others as the game gets bigger and heavier. Speed kill and speed combined with heavier bullets just kill better on really big game like Elk and Bear. I really don't think a Mule Deer or Elk really cares if you are using a 270, 30-06, 280 or 7mm Mag, if you shoot straight you will bag him if you don't then he will get away crippled or untouched and more wise to the education you just gave him if he survives .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

OTOH a pal's eye was saved by shooting glasses last year from a Rem 700 when the gas came back from a badly blown primer......to be fair he had chambered a 270 in a 280...hard to blame the rifle for that one.

Bob,
I don't understand?
You mean an obviously cultured and obviously saavy .280 owner contaminated his bench with a .270?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had the displeasure of a face full of gas from a Remington 700. Not fun.

Pierced primer was the culprit. Now all Remingtons 700s that cross my path get their firing pin bushed. Worst offenders are the .378" bolt face actions, but others can be just as bad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bea175
........ what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer.................

This i agree with 100% and i could hunt with the 270 and be happy the rest of my life, but i must say the best cartridge for any type of hunting is the round the rifle you are carrying is chambered for and that you can shoot the best in the field . It really comes down to this,that some cartridges are better than others as the game gets bigger and heavier. Speed kill and speed combined with heavier bullets just kill better on really big game like Elk and Bear. I really don't think a Mule Deer or Elk really cares if you are using a 270, 30-06, 280 or 7mm Mag, if you shoot straight you will bag him if you don't then he will get away crippled or untouched and more wise to the education you just gave him if he survives .

Bea: I couldn't agree more. Nice summary!

My comment was kind of TIC,since I know for sure there are other cartridges as good or better than the 270 for mule deer,depending how and where you are hunting them.This does not take away from the fact that the 270 gives generally satisfactory results. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Bob,
I don't understand?
You mean an obviously cultured and obviously saavy .280 owner contaminated his bench with a .270?

AGW: What can I say? It happens!

My pal owns both,and had them both at the range that day.Had no idea what happened until he got to my house and I extracted the fired case from the rifle. The extractor slipped over the rim of the fired case, which seemed firmly stuck but I was able to poke it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle.

Seems the 270 is short on headspace in a 280 chamber. You would not think it would be that bad with that 270 bullet rattling down a 7mm bore,but seems there was just enough resistance to light a fire....the 270 case did not expand completely to the 280 chamber (shoulder did not blow forward),and the gas leaked back around the cartridge; blew the primer completely. I can't say whether the gas came back through the loading port, or back through the bolt body.

Anyway it was a mess, but could have been worse.

Prairie Goat would bushing the pin have helped?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SanSouci,

I don�t know why you got in an uproar. All I did was suggest you were being a little hard on Craig, and stated why.

I�m perfectly willing to admit that a large part of gun writing is entertainment, but that doesn�t mean it�s all BS. My guess, based on knowing Craig and the business in general, is Craig�s editor assigned him that specific subject. Why? Well, to entertain, and stir up some controversy, sure. But also because Craig has killed a pile of big game around the world, mostly while looking for the biggest trophy possible, including a bunch of elk�and also been alongside many companions when they were doing the same thing, as well as talked to a bunch of professional guides. His books always include the opinions of such professionals, to provide a well-rounded viewpoint.

Craig is certainly as entitled to an opinion about the �best� cartridge for various kinds of big game as anybody around, and far more than most. I have not only known him for over 30 years but hunted with him and worked for him. He�s as honest as anybody I know, and far more experienced than 99% of hunting/gun writers. So yeah, I spoke up about your opinion, which is based on far less knowledge than any piece of entertainment Craig ever wrote.

In my own gun writing I try to combine entertainment with some results, whether scientific or not. The world would be a dull place if it was limited to �just the facts.� In the process I�ve not only hunted quite a bit (though not as much as Craig), but have visited various factories where ammunition, rifles, optics, etc. are made, along with various ballistics labs. Many of those people have a high enough regard for my technical knowledge that they�ve helped me considerably with even more. So no, my knowledge is not gained strictly from shooting �media� and game.

Though I must note that every highly-regarded hunting bullet and ammo company not only tests bullets in media, but then goes on to test them in a lot of animals, because bullets don�t always act the same in animals as in meda. So far this is the only way to get a somewhat �scientific� notion of how bullets will perform in the field. In a way it�s like biology: Results can�t be as exact as in some other branches of science, but overall results can provide useful and valid information.

Very well said. In fact, as well done as any excellent author/writer could possibly do it.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/24/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bea175

Bea: I couldn't agree more. Nice summary!

My comment was kind of TIC,since I know for sure there are other cartridges as good or better than the 270 for mule deer,depending how and where you are hunting them.This does not take away from the fact that the 270 gives generally satisfactory results. smile

Yes, If shooting at deer over 400 yds I prefer the 270 Wby or 270 wsm.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I like Mule Deer and his work, but the ass kissing he receives on this site is getting old.

As far as the .270 Win and 130s on elk, I've seen it work more than a few times. Even with Wally world special Cup ~n Cores. No issues when lung/heart hit.

I do like my magnums though.

Hey Dick, how did 55 go?? Did I ever mention that the owner of pommerell is a personal friend of mine smile Tought him to trap yotes about 10 years ago, great guy..

Just interested in how you did, they are killing some of the biggest bulls Idaho has ever produced,this year, in that unit on OTC archery tags..Crazy

Saw some great bucks, but had some ground shrinkage on the one I took. I passed up 10 or so that were bigger. I must have seen this guy at a weird angle or something. Still a good buck.
[Linked Image]
Passed up quite a few like this
[Linked Image]
I also saw some great bulls in there. Crazy how just 10 or so years ago there were no elk in that area at all.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll bet I also saw 1000 sage grouse. It's crazy how many critters are in that area. It was a lot of fun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer,

I was not in an "uproar". For some reason, smoke pole has taken to attempting to bullying me. He does instigate a lot of acrimony. Remember that I wrote that even entertaining the thought that there is a single best cartridge for every species of big game approaches the...

With that out of the way, I do agree with what you posted. Scientifically testing anything to do with firearms is darn near impossible because it'd be more than arduous to control variables and confounding factors. For instance, how would a researcher assure identical bullet alloy from lot-to-lot?

Shooting into media is anecdotal, not scientific. However, useful info can be gleaned from such endeavors.

Gun & hunting magazines attempt to convey the perspective of knowledge when they are in fact entertainment. I'm good with that. After all, I am a laissez faire capitalist. Gun magazines tend to become ridiculous when they attempt to become definitive; e.g., man stopper, the best cartridge for, the best gun for home defense, etc.

Hell, I could live the rest of my hunting days with a ,280 Rem and never look back.

As for smoke pole, he ought to change his moniker to smokin' bowls because it's apparent that he's spending too much time in Colorado's dope shops. I have sent his a PM about asking him what his problem is. Instead of manning up, he's taken to hitting and running. If he has a thesis that he can cogently defend, he ought to get busy on it. If he has a problem with me, he ought to disclose it rather than going at it as a pus$y.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by redfoxx
The 7mm Rem Mag is the best Mule Deer caliber ever created, and the 270 is a VERY close second. I've stacked piles of mulies up with these two cartridges�

I own a 7MM Rem Mag. I don't own a .280 Rem. I wish it were the other way 'round.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As for smoke pole, he ought to change his moniker to smokin' bowls because it's apparent that he's spending too much time in Colorado's dope shops. I have sent his a PM about asking him what his problem is. Instead of manning up, he's taken to hitting and running. If he has a thesis that he can cogently defend, he ought to get busy on it. If he has a problem with me, he ought to disclose it rather than going at it as a pus$y.

Running? From you? That's a good one. I'll do my talking in the public forum, right here. PMs are for people who don't want their drivel to see the light of day.

My problem with you is this--you comment on things you know nothing about as if you were an expert. You argue with a gunwriter about gunwriters. You comment on Mule Deer's work, right after having said you have no clue who he is.

This place has enough "armchair experts" already, we don't need more from a guy who kills an elk on a guided private-land hunt and thinks that makes him an expert elk hunter. A guy who gets "pushed to the limits" on a 5,000 acre ranch, and thinks that's something worth talking about.

You say shooting bullets into media is not scientific, it's anecdotal. That's incorrect and just anopther example of you talking about something you have no clue on. If you were to shoot a few bullets into media and make qualitative observations, that would be anecdotal. If you shoot enough bullets, control the variables, and record empirical data on things like length of penetration, diameter of expanded bullets and so forth, it is scientific and none of your hogwash can change that.

You want to talk anecdotal? Anecdotal is a guy going on a hunt, hearing what one guide says about the .270, and repeating it here as if it means something.

You can call that "bullying" if you like, whatever that means. I call it putting your "expert" commentary in the proper perspective.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Running? From you? That's a good one. I'll do my talking in the public forum, right here. PMs are for people who don't want their drivel to see the light of day.

My problem with you is this--you comment on things you know nothing about as if you were an expert. You argue with a gunwriter about gunwriters. You comment on Mule Deer's work, right after having said you have no clue who he is.

This place has enough "armchair experts" already, we don't need more from a guy who kills an elk on a guided private-land hunt and thinks he's an expert.

You say shooting bullets into media is not scientific, it's anecdotal. That's incorrect. If you were to shoot a few bullets into media and make qualitative observations, that would be anecdotal. If you shoot enough bullets, control the variables, and record empirical data on things like length of penetration, diameter of expanded bullets and so forth, it is scientific and none of your hogwash can change that.

You want to talk anecdotal? Anecdotal is a guy going on a hunt, hearing what one guide says about the .270, and repeating it here as if it means something.

Prove that I have tried to pawn myself off as expert on anything. That's your assumption. And it suits your justification for attempting to feed tour attention-staved ego.

I still have no clue who Mule Deer is. His identity is immaterial. What he writes is. You're enamored of him. As another poster wrote, you have your nose buried so far up his read end, you know what he had for dinner last night. As for me, I want to know his theses and how he defends them.

The biological FACT is nothing lives sans its heart. What destroys it is immaterial. That it is destroyed is. That, my naive shooter, is 100% factual. If you desire to argue that fact, take it up with God.

smoke pole, projection is afoot with you allusion to armchair quarterbacks. In fact, you're attempting to placate your ego by imposing yourself as head coach. Go back to holding water bottles. No one cares what the hell you have to contribute because it's all unproved opinion. In contrast, I can prove that nothing lives sans its heart. In FACT, I have yet to read a single piece of knowledge outta you. You're all pompous opinion.

The FACT is what that guide said it 100% correct if you took time to analyze what he said. And what that guide said has been said a zillion times before. And all hunters know it's factual. A miss with a .375 H&H ain't doing anyone any good. A heart shot with a .270 Win and back-breaking work begins. Maybe you can't discern this fact. But it's 100% factual. Moreover, it's also 100% factual that a .243 Win in the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts. A three-year old could understand this FACT, convey it to me, and it'd still be factual.

Now, if you're able to intellectually refute these FACTS, get on it. If you can't, get back to your dope shop and fill your bowl. You are easier on the eyes when you're wasted.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,626
Posts18,512,025
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.