Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was not sure whether or not to post this up for I don't have a pic of the 99 with the bear that turned out, but what the heck:

This was my first time ever hunting Bear, thought I would put up a pic of the one I shot after it was caped.
With the exception of one time we baited every other day since baiting began. We were on private land and using a barrel at 100 yards in one lane and filling an old stump at 45 yards in another lane. Both baits were hit every single day and we had multiple mature bears on camera including one cub with a white chest and one boar with a white chest.
On the 17th we baited as usual and checked the pics.
When we (two of us went in every time with the plan for my FIL to walk out alone opening day) went in to hunt on the first evening I was devastated to see that neither bait had been touched. We had carried bait in so we freshened up both baits and I sat........all evening and never saw a thing. Saturday afternoon we went back in and were relieved to see the logs removed from the barrel. The stump had also been hit.
I have never seen a bear in the wild and was taken by surprise at the attitude of this one when he walked out of the woods 200 yards down the shooting lane. Once he got to the barrel I was elated to see that he stood between the second ring and the top. Now, given the previous nights events and having never shot a bear I figured I better shoot. Just then he raised his arm and I saw he was the one with the white chest. I then hesitated because he was actually the smallest lone bear we had coming in. He immediately grabbed a handful of goods and ran into the woods. I started kicking myself for not shooting when a minute later he returned and stood broadside. I heard the 200 grain bullet from the Savage 99 in 358 winchester hit him and he bolted past the barrel.
I found it hard to wait much more than a minute to go down there and upon inspection I found blood everywhere and chunks of lung on the ground. As I was waiting for help and looking into the thick swamp for a bear I sensed something to my right and turned just in time to see another larger bear cross the lane within 10 yards of me......he seemed annoyed I was there and I heard him circle me in the swamp. I was not even sure at first that was not the bear I shot but once help arrived we found mine 15 yard straight in.
Sorry I don't have any hero pics but I was more concerned with getting him out an cooled down.
190# dressed weight.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 78CJ
I was not sure whether or not to post this up for I don't have a pic of the 99 with the bear that turned out, but what the heck:

This was my first time ever hunting Bear, thought I would put up a pic of the one I shot after it was caped.
With the exception of one time we baited every other day since baiting began. We were on private land and using a barrel at 100 yards in one lane and filling an old stump at 45 yards in another lane. Both baits were hit every single day and we had multiple mature bears on camera including one cub with a white chest and one boar with a white chest.
On the 17th we baited as usual and checked the pics.
When we (two of us went in every time with the plan for my FIL to walk out alone opening day) went in to hunt on the first evening I was devastated to see that neither bait had been touched. We had carried bait in so we freshened up both baits and I sat........all evening and never saw a thing. Saturday afternoon we went back in and were relieved to see the logs removed from the barrel. The stump had also been hit.
I have never seen a bear in the wild and was taken by surprise at the attitude of this one when he walked out of the woods 200 yards down the shooting lane. Once he got to the barrel I was elated to see that he stood between the second ring and the top. Now, given the previous nights events and having never shot a bear I figured I better shoot. Just then he raised his arm and I saw he was the one with the white chest. I then hesitated because he was actually the smallest lone bear we had coming in. He immediately grabbed a handful of goods and ran into the woods. I started kicking myself for not shooting when a minute later he returned and stood broadside. I heard the 200 grain bullet from the Savage 99 in 358 winchester hit him and he bolted past the barrel.
I found it hard to wait much more than a minute to go down there and upon inspection I found blood everywhere and chunks of lung on the ground. As I was waiting for help and looking into the thick swamp for a bear I sensed something to my right and turned just in time to see another larger bear cross the lane within 10 yards of me......he seemed annoyed I was there and I heard him circle me in the swamp. I was not even sure at first that was not the bear I shot but once help arrived we found mine 15 yard straight in.
Sorry I don't have any hero pics but I was more concerned with getting him out an cooled down.
190# dressed weight.

[Linked Image]

No apology needed. GREAT story. Thanks for having us along. I LOVE the white blaze.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That's a fine looking bear for the first one. Congrats!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story. Cool markings on that one. Congratulations!

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your long detailed story is great. Makes me almost feel as though I was there. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very cool!!! Great caliber too. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Livin large with a Savage 99 and Mr. Whitepatch! Well done!

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congrats on a fine bear! Like the white patch.

Bruce
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a great story and a really nice bear, love the patch!

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks for sharing and great story to go with it! My Dad was a real storyteller - sure miss him!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How common is the white patch?

Great posting, thanks. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you believe wikipedia...

Some specimens may develop a white �crescent moon� mark on the chest. This white mark, which is constant in Asian black bears, occurs in only 25% of American black bears[34]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The white patch varies but is usually a "V" shape centered on the chest. Some V's are thick, some are thin. This guy has a thick V.
As far as being common, depends where you are in North America, but my experience in Northern WI is probably more like ~10% with a white V. JMO.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not being from bear country the white path on a black bear was a new one for me. Thanks for the info.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GREAT STORY and VERY NICE BEAR.

Looks Like BEAR BRATS For Ya!
THE FAT on Them Make Fantastic Boot Grease, Surprised you didn't hear a death Cry or Moan?
AGAIN CONGRATS.
STEVE

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And a .358 to boot! Nice story.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not seeing 10% with a chest mark in Oregon. Oh, and...

.358's RULE!!!!!

LOL
78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1899sav
GREAT STORY and VERY NICE BEAR.

Looks Like BEAR BRATS For Ya!
THE FAT on Them Make Fantastic Boot Grease, Surprised you didn't hear a death Cry or Moan?
AGAIN CONGRATS.
STEVE

Yup, we saved all of the fat to render this weekend. I am going to butcher tonight. We quarted it on sunday morning and have the quarters in a fridge.

I purposely listened for the moan and did not hear it but I wondered if it had to do with the quarter sized hole through the on side lung and the 2" hole through the off side lung? No air, no moan?

Ryan

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not seeing 10% with a chest mark in Oregon. Oh, and...

.358's RULE!!!!!

This one, with a Leupold VXR in place of the Redfield and without the Old Crow until later......

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 78CJ; 09/24/14. Reason: Forgot pic
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great story...a day to remember. Thanks!

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,541
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.