Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I hope it passes also. I'm tired of trimming down my 35 Rem. brass!

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
In NY wer were always allowed to use rifles for deer in the north and in the Catskill region. Now they've opened up almost the whole state to rifles.

The wife and I just moved from our hometown on the northern border to the south shore of Lake Ontario where it previously was shotguns only. I'm amazed at how nervous some of the guys who hunt deer around here are about it. They're all concerned about how far a rifle bullet will travel. When I ask them how many deer they've shot at in the tree tops a little light seems to come on. Now, wait'll they find out I use a .223.

The biggest thing we noticed in the southern tier of NY when they made rifles legal is there was a lot less shooting because they couldn't work the bolt nearly as fast as they could a semi-auto 12, and every open field with a 300+ yd view would have at least one orange blob on it opening weekend. Seems rifles meant you could now shoot your deer at maximum ranges so there was no need to sit in the woods any more. Besides, what fun was it shooting your spike horn at 30 yds with a 7mm mag?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
What was the reason for no rifles in the first place?

The theory was, rifles were more dangerous because the projectiles travel further. I never bought into it, but you'd be surprised how many people I've met over the years do buy into it. Kind of a lack of critical thinking skills....

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by pointer
I have a nice/good slug gun, but the slugs are too expensive and kick too much for shooting deer.

What else would you use a slug gun for besides shooting deer? I've got a designated slug gun and I don't notice it kicking any harder than anything else.

I've never understood the thought behind not allowing a centerfire but allowing muzzleloaders and slug guns. Most hunters I know in Indiana hunt out of treestands which means they are shooting towards the ground. In cases like that a centerfire is no more dangerous than a muzzleloader or a slug gun. If they restrict it to "straight wall cartridges, I'd use a 450 Marlin.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I too have a designated slug gun and have been very successful with it over the years. I have gone to the Ruger 77/44 when they made rifles legal, it worked just fine on a 60yd. shot last season. I see no need for other than pistol cartridge chambered rifles in Indiana, most shots are well within their range and capability.

Last edited by gunswizard; 09/21/14.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Man, you Yankees are easy to condition.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

You might just get to hunt in IN if you are nice... grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PS. Leave the 223AI at home...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pirate
Originally Posted by pointer
I have a nice/good slug gun, but the slugs are too expensive and kick too much for shooting deer.

What else would you use a slug gun for besides shooting deer? I've got a designated slug gun and I don't notice it kicking any harder than anything else.

I've never understood the thought behind not allowing a centerfire but allowing muzzleloaders and slug guns. Most hunters I know in Indiana hunt out of treestands which means they are shooting towards the ground. In cases like that a centerfire is no more dangerous than a muzzleloader or a slug gun. If they restrict it to "straight wall cartridges, I'd use a 450 Marlin.
I'd only use a slug gun, for anything, if it's mandated. If you can't tell the recoil difference between a 12ga slug and many more than adequate deer cartridges (260, 30-06, 30-30, etc) you are much less sensitive to recoil than I.

From what I've heard it's passed the vote, but can't/won't be implemented until 2015. So if you have a slugger to sell, sell it soon!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Anyone have a link to info regarding the passage of legislation allowing hunting with high power rifles and when the law takes effect?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by DeereJohn
I don't live in Ohio,I live in West Virginia,right across the river from Meigs Co Ohio,and I'm just saying that I personally don't see any advantage of their new law for the vast majority of the hunters.

Ever hear Foster slugs bouncing down thru the timber after someone misses a deer? Just about anything else is safer to the hunting public.....

Yeah, it sounds like somebody banging on the trees with a stick.....time to get small!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Why you callin' a Yankee? I live in AL but i have some nephews that live in IN.

Last edited by Pirate; 09/22/14.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a link the to the rules that were voted on:
http://www.in.gov/nrc/files/item_7_nrc_sept_2014.pdf

It is my understanding that it was voted for by the Natural Resource Commission.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will make it easier to take kids hunting. use a 243 with light loads, bingo!!!

ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Anybody know if a final decision has been made on this ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Will make it easier to take kids hunting. use a 243 with light loads, bingo!!!
Yep! I'm thinking of making a 6X204 Ruger for that purpose. My kids appear to be opposite handed shooters, so the single shot 357 Mag may be getting a new barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would be great news if it did pass! I was kind of bummed when I moved to Indiana from Pennsylvania to learn of no high power rifles for deer hunting but figured Indiana is kind of flat, wide open terrain thus figure the game commission was being conservative due to "safety" issues.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Having hunted Indiana successfully with my rifled barrel slug gun for 25yrs. I was very pleased when the DNR voted to allow rifles chambered for pistol cartridges to be used for deer hunting. I have retired my slug gun and now hunt with a Ruger 77/44 .44 Magnum which I feel is very adequate for the task. I am not sure how I feel regarding high powered rifles being made legal. I hunt the hills and hollows of Brown County almost exclusively and have not encountered a shooting situation there where I feel that a high powered rifle would be more effective than the .44 Magnum. Perhaps in other areas of the state that offer longer shots a high powered rifle would be more effective. I'll stick to my .44 Magnum while hunting in Brown County.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Having hunted Indiana successfully with my rifled barrel slug gun for 25yrs. I was very pleased when the DNR voted to allow rifles chambered for pistol cartridges to be used for deer hunting. I have retired my slug gun and now hunt with a Ruger 77/44 .44 Magnum which I feel is very adequate for the task. I am not sure how I feel regarding high powered rifles being made legal. I hunt the hills and hollows of Brown County almost exclusively and have not encountered a shooting situation there where I feel that a high powered rifle would be more effective than the .44 Magnum. Perhaps in other areas of the state that offer longer shots a high powered rifle would be more effective. I'll stick to my .44 Magnum while hunting in Brown County.
Brown County as you well know is the exception rather than the rule for the type of terrain that make up this state...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pointer,

as a transplant to Indian, what's the typical type of terrain? what you estimate the range/yardage?

I couldn't get over how flat parts of Indiana coming from western Pennsylvania. Our shots are usually under 100yards, even half that distance isn't uncommon unless your on logging road/power line or purposely overlooking farmers field.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 2five7, 65 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,076
Posts18,521,761
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.