Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Edited to add that a match that is supposed to replicate hunting scenarios does sound like a blast and I would love to give one a try. Is there a list of upcoming events by state?

John,

I think events like that are few and far between. Anyone interested in a postal match? I think it could be fun...

Carl

Empirical results rule!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
If you can explain this, I'm all ears...
It's not in MOA or MRad. Centimeters? Are you phugging kidding me?

[Linked Image]

Rick,

It's Mils. 1 CM at 100 Meters is 1 Mil. Sort of. grin

There are a few different Mils.

John,

You're almost there. Just missing a 0 and a . grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

Edited to add that a match that is supposed to replicate hunting scenarios does sound like a blast and I would love to give one a try. Is there a list of upcoming events by state?

John,

I think events like that are few and far between. Anyone interested in a postal match? I think it could be fun...

Carl

Sounds like a good fime!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If a few guys would do it, I'd draw up some targets and a course of fire.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm in on a postal match..... that sounds like a good time.

I'm thinking a sub-8lb rifle, no bipod class would be eye opening....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Turrets don't give a shiet about magnification.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
If you can explain this, I'm all ears...
It's not in MOA or MRad. Centimeters? Are you phugging kidding me?

[Linked Image]

Rick,

It's Mils. 1 CM at 100 Meters is 1 Mil. Sort of. grin

There are a few different Mils.

John,

You're almost there. Just missing a 0 and a . grin

Like I said there are a few different Mils. I was referencing Wyoming Mils. grin

There are 62,831.85 Wyo Mils in a circle.

I had a scope setup with 10 Wyo Mils per rotation but I got carpal tunnel syndrome and had to go back to my standard 20 MOA per rotation. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Regarding the magnification issue, for me, anything sfp for hunting over 10x is useless. Use the 2-10x42, set it, and run a ring of tape around the power ring to lock it down. Mine is calibrated at 8.5x. If one cant overcome this I highly recommend not using it. It would be nice if zeiss made a locking power ring.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do we have this settled yet?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
My statement is the truth.

This what I quoted you as saying:

Then there's the problem with BDC trees matching the actual drop of your load.

For them to work, the scope must be set to its highest power, and even then many are incorrect.

And it is NOT true of the Rapid Z.

John

But it does need to be on one specific mag, most commonly the max magnification if that is where one is Zero'd and dope recorded and practiced.

Jordan,

One specific mag is the truth of the matter. And if you have an exceptionally flat cartridge, there will be curves it cannot match.

As far as your buddy not having the capacity to check the magnification� Would he have better been able to reference his drop and wind charts and dial the correct amount in? Sounds like he would have missed the bull if he were using anything other than a laser cannon.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think they have it worked out..... In the mean time I am going to drive to Wyoming, kill a deer, drive home and then check back on this thread to be sure. grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why have a variable? I guess it's the only way Zeiss can get you to you 'Optimum' setting.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Do we have this settled yet?

Travis

What fun would that be? grin

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick,

How accurate do I need to be? If I am easily putting rounds in vital sized targets out to 600 yards, is that not good enough? On a ten inch vital zone, I will give up an inch or two of precision to cut my engagement time by a second or two.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy dialing too, and do so often, albeit only out to 825 yards or so, which is about as far as I can stretch it on my place.

I just like the simplicity of the Rapid Z. I bought one out of curiosity and continue to be amazed by how simple and easy, yet effective it is. So much so that I bought another.

Believe me, if at any time I feel the setup has failed me and I miss a shot on a deer I feel confident I would have made if dialing the LRHS, I will post it right here for everyone to see.

I just gotta ask you though�

Have you tried a Rapid Z?

If so did you take the time to find out what magnification best matched your load's trajectory?

If so, were you not able to make hits on vital sized targets out to the limits of the reticle?

Thanks,

John

I would try to be as accurate as possible. And it's possible to be more accurate.

It's great that you are hitting the plates to the ranges you say, but like formy says, animals don't stand out there at convenient 100 yard increments. I understand that if you get a good range you can bracket him and it will work.

Now add in some wind and you're holding over and out somewhere in outer space (what we call it. formy calls it holding in "air") and the guessing really starts to yield poor results.

You'll be much better off dialing with the Zeiss (if it actually works, but that's another story) at the ranges you're talking about. Also, setting the scope on "9" to make the reticle work would really put me at a handicap for shooting 500 and 600 yard targets, even game. It definitely reduces precision. I prefer a lot more power at long range.

Using the reticle like Jordan and I have said, does require the scope to be set on a specific magnafication. You can screw it up. I've done it and you see that Jordan has seen it happen in a critical situation. Then there's the question if you actually have the power in the right place on the ring. A little more or a little less will affect the reticle spacing.

I have not used the Rapid Z. I have in fact used a similar system that Leupold has, the Varmint Hunter Reticle (VHR). I had two scopes set up with them. I thought this would be a good choice for a ballistic reticle for hunting when I first began getting into long range. Long story short, gaining actual experience at long range in pressure situations teaches you what works best, and it's not that type of ballistic reticle.

I spent quite a lot of time checking the subtensions on the equipment pictured in one of my posts. I wanted to make sure that they were exactly what Leupold said they were on 20X. They were.

Leupold always nails the reticle.

How they explain the subtensions is quite a lot easier to understand. It's set up in MOA drop for a generic load for a varmint rifle.

[Linked Image]

So I took my already developed accurate load that I knew the MOA drops for from Ballistic AE and simply matched the drop with the reticle MOA drops from line to line. Made a map and put it on the scope bell so I couldn't F it up.

[Linked Image]

I also hung the dope off of the scope to be precise when I can dial...

[Linked Image]

Since then I've gained experience and have had both scope's reticles changed out to the TMR. On max power a mil is a mil and everything is perfect. Leupold always nails the reticle.

As for the fun matches I'm talking about, you'll want to come to Whittington Center for the every-month Sporting Rifle Match. I think some guys in Douglas, WY have started an identical match as well.

Sniper's Hide Cup, Steel Safari are more serious competition, but I would recommend attending.

Belive me, no one is holding over with a Ballistic Reticle. If they are, they're not doing well.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why have a variable? I guess it's the only way Zeiss can get you to you 'Optimum' setting.

That is true. A Christmas Tree reticle in a fixed power would have limitations I would not be willing to run with. I played with a LRD for a while and didn't like it. No wind reference and the dots didn't match trajectory in any way that could be described as intuitive.

John

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Correct. My one hesitation is not the concept or application of the RZ but my distrust in hunting weight variables.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In short, turrets rule, got it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
In short, turrets rule, got it!

You will notice that I've made no assertion that one is better than the other, neither am I trying to convince anybody. I suggest doing whatever floats your boat as long as you practice and get efficient and effective with it, knowing all limitations.

For me, "long range" reticles have no business in the low light deer woods. The Rapid Z is very adequate for such and can get me out to my max comfort range if the situation should present itself (cotton/peanut field in these parts). That is the allure for me.

And to be clear, I will never be a "long range" hunter. Lets call it medium range; 500 yards comfortable max with 600 the absolute limit. I have a 400 yard range at my back door and wear it out. When I have time to go elsewhere to stretch it out (not often enough), 500 is still pretty much a slam dunk. After that I start loosing comfort.

I believe range is the disconnect here. 500 yards, with practice, is not difficult with any system.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Life is simple, if it is beyond 400 yards.I get closer.I use a plain duplex reticle and holdover.I have windage and elevation holdover taped to my rifle stock in 50 yard increments according to the load in the rifle I am using.I sight at 3"high at a 100 which in most cartridges is around 14" low at 400.I use my range finder and make my adjustments and shoot.I do not want to twist dials and look at some freaky reticle.I am a hunter and not a wanna be sniper.I very seldom miss.I am for using KISS!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For you guys that spin. What is a reasonably reliable brand that in hunting conditions. Would remain true when spinning, that won't break the bank??

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 673, 18 invisible), 1,394 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.