Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rick,

I'll run the Rapid Z this fall and let everyone know if I feel handicapped. What can I say? If effective, I like simple� If it doesn't work for me, I'll let everyone know. Crow, prepared properly, is one of my favorite meals. grin

Questions on the Sporting Rifle Matches. I'm looking on the Whittington Center's website and didn't see any Sporting Rifle Matches listed. Are they on a specific weekend every month? Raton is only about 6 hours, so that would be doable over a weekend and could be much fun. Is there something that shows how the matches are conducted?

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SWFA SS is the choice there Willie.

Empirical results rule!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by wdenike
For you guys that spin. What is a reasonably reliable brand that in hunting conditions. Would remain true when spinning, that won't break the bank??

Take care, Willie

SWFA Super Sniper on the cheap. Bushnell LRHS is more, but VERY nice for the $ (about $1k street price).

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wdenike
For you guys that spin. What is a reasonably reliable brand that in hunting conditions. Would remain true when spinning, that won't break the bank??

Take care, Willie

My 6X42 Leupolds are reliable. Both the M8 and FX 3 type.

My new-ish 10X Super Sniper is fuggin' UBER.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Rick,

I'll run the Rapid Z this fall and let everyone know if I feel handicapped. What can I say? If effective, I like simple� If it doesn't work for me, I'll let everyone know. Crow, prepared properly, is one of my favorite meals. grin

Questions on the Sporting Rifle Matches. I'm looking on the Whittington Center's website and didn't see any Sporting Rifle Matches listed. Are they on a specific weekend every month? Raton is only about 6 hours, so that would be doable over a weekend and could be much fun. Is there something that shows how the matches are conducted?

Thanks,

John

sportingriflematch.com

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Rick,

Thanks,

John

sportingriflematch.com

Originally Posted by sportingriflematch.com
Typical equipment used includes: a rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy; rifle optics allowing precise hold-over for small targets from 175 - 875 yards; binoculars to spot for other shooters; and a backpack to carry water, ammunition, and a couple power bars.
Bring 60 rounds plus whatever you want for Saturday afternoon & Sunday morning sight-in.

That sounds like a bunch of fun, but I can see why a Rapid Z would not be the thing to use there. My reticle maxes out at 600. I'm definitely gonna try some, but with ranges up to 875, I'll be dialing. I'll bring the LRHS.

Too bad there's nothing before February�

John

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Postal match could be fun.

A lot of different ways to do it, but it would be interesting to include a bunch of timed targets shot from offhand, kneeling, sitting, prone, and improvised field rests. Known distance and UKD.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Since we can post the pictures directly to the thread, we could probably save a lot of stamps.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

A lot of different ways to do it, but it would be interesting to include a bunch of timed targets shot from offhand, kneeling, sitting, prone, and improvised field rests. Known distance and UKD.

I have one drill that I like to do at 100 yards that is somewhat like that, but uses par times. I was thinking of something a bit different for this, but I find it to be a useful drill to make me practice some of my less favored positions. I'll post it in a moment.

Doing mixed distance and mixed targets gets tricky with a postal match, since everyone is working with different range conditions and different steel, if they even have any. It'd be a far better test, but it would be more work to do and would be more exclusive than short range paper. Not sure what the best answer is there.

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Since we can post the pictures directly to the thread, we could probably save a lot of stamps.

Travis

Indeed.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And I would not trust people like me to shoot at "unknown" distances.

Hint.

grin

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll smoke alla you fuggers..

Shrapnel showed me how.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For my position shooting drill, I print out one each of these targets and post them up at 100 yards. This works best if you are using a setup that can be zeroed dead on at 100 somehow.

(They need to be printed out at 100% scale, and then they are still in shooter MOA, not true MOA)

The first round is shot with no time limits.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand
5MOA = 2 shots sitting
3MOA = 2 shots sitting with sticks
2MOA = 2 shots prone (can use a pack, but no rear bag, no bipod)

The second round is a repeat, but with a 15 second par time. I set a timer on my phone, if the shot isn't taken BEFORE the buzzer, it doesn't count.

7MOA = 2 shots offhand in 15 seconds
5MOA = 2 shots sitting in 15 seconds
3MOA = 2 shots sitting with sticks in 15 seconds
2MOA = 2 shots prone in 15 seconds

The third round is a "medley". One shot from each position, with a 60 second par time.

7MOA = 1 shot offhand
5MOA = 1 shot sitting
3MOA = 1 shot sitting with sticks
2MOA = 1 shot prone
...all in 60 seconds.

It's scored out of 20. On good days I can shoot high teens, on a bad day I'll usually get 13 or 14. I'm certain someone who was GOOD would clean it consistently. I'm on the edge of needing to shrink the targets, but then it would be tougher for the newer shooters I sometimes work with.

Attached Images
Targets.zip (40.59 KB, 31 downloads)

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That would work as a postal match, but I was thinking of something more pertinent to the original discussion of this thread.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Billy,

My buds and I have been talking about a similar course which includes a few zip-lines with moving targets. Nothing too fast, but something that would simulate a critter wandering off. Shooter would have to get on target quickly, and rifle set-up/choice would be important.

And targets that are not the size of manhole covers. I think SRM uses realistic target sizes.

I can smell the 24hrC Rifle Challenge brewing...

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a mix of what ya'll are posting.

A precision/tactical match and a Practical Rifle Match.

You need the same equipment for both styles to do well in regards to rifle/scope/data

The Precision Matches are "sniper" style matches with targets as close as 10 yards and out as far as you can shoot. Lots of 100 yard precision paper work. Lots of odd positions including standing, sitting, kneeling, unsupported prone, prone.

We shoot from mock house windows, off of mock rooftops with pitch, barricades, tunnels, etc...

Sometimes we cant the gun 90 degrees and shoot simulating having to engage targets from under a car. Hell, we even have a wrecked car at the range we use as a prop to shoot from and out of. We've shot a stage we call the "NM Antelope hunting stage" where a guy lends his truck to the shoot, we shoot at long range targets from the bed, the cab, the hood etc

All of this is under time.

The Practical Rifle matches are just that; Practical.

Long range steel generally, engaged under time from field positions. Mostly all from prone at the Sporting Rifle Match with a few sticks shots mixed in. The Steel Safari is a different story and is extremely difficult in the way of shooting positions. Difficulty is added by the fact that you have to FIND, RANGE AND SHOOT, your targets under time while figuring out how to get a rest.

The Steel Safari is widely regarded as the toughest Practical Rifle Match in the country.

In my book, it is the way a match should be. It replicates exactly what you have to do in the field when hunting.

The Precision Matches will make you one hell of a shooter, especially positionally. Problem solving is something you learn as well that is directly applicable to hunting scenarios.

To tie this into the thread with regard to dialing, holding etc., we do both and are required to do so at certain stages at the Precision Match. Under time in certain situations it is far more advantageous to do so if the targets are large enough.

Most of the time you'll be dialing in both styles.

An MRad or MOA reticle is really the best option even if used for holding over. The Christmas Tree Ballistic Reticles are a poor choice.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If we do those 100 yard drills can I run the 5 MOA target throughout? I intend to use aperture sights.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sure, that sounds fair. I'll create a thread for it over in Hunting Rifles, as this doesn't really seem like an Optics forum competition.

Link:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9213006#Post9213006

Last edited by Carl_Ross; 09/28/14. Reason: Link...

Empirical results rule!
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Excellent. To partly demonstrate what's on this thread, shoot it exactly how your rifle is zeroed. If you're zeroed 2in high at 100 yards, or 3.5in high, or whatever, then shoot it that way. Don't rezero to 100 yards if you're a holder. Also start with the scope on the lowest power if a variable for each stage.

Carl,

Each stage is started from the standing for the timed drills, correct?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.