Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Also start with the scope on the lowest power if a variable for each stage.

Why?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Excellent. To partly demonstrate what's on this thread, shoot it exactly how your rifle is zeroed. If you're zeroed 2in high at 100 yards, or 3.5in high, or whatever, then shoot it that way. Don't rezero to 100 yards if you're a holder. Also start with the scope on the lowest power if a variable for each stage.

Carl,

Each stage is started from the standing for the timed drills, correct?

Don�t rezero at 100 yards if you�re a dialer, either. Stick with dialing your scope to 1 or 2 inches high at 100, which anybody worth their salt is going to have their scope set on during a hunt.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My rifle is dead nuts @ 100yds. Does this mean I'm not worthy my own salt? And if so, how much was my salt worth to begin with?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oops! ALL my rifles, dots or turret are zeroed at 100 yds�..

Looks like I'd best rethink this whole thing�.. whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
My rifle is dead nuts @ 100yds. Does this mean I'm not worthy my own salt? And if so, how much was my salt worth to begin with?

Travis

So when you�re hunting you don�t spin your turreted rifle to be a couple inches high at 100, thus giving you a MBPR type zero for quick shots out to 300ish yards without any worrying about using a laser, spinning a turret, or using a dot?

What I was getting at is that having a MBPR zero shouldn�t matter with this drill, as it�s more of a speed drill. Which is great. Everybody should be able to set their scopes for 100, or nobody.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mine is dead nuts @ 100.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
What I was getting at is that having a MBPR zero shouldn�t matter with this drill, as it�s more of a speed drill. Which is great.

This is my intention on THIS drill, not to practice holding somewhere other than the middle. That'll be the next one I have in mind.

Most of my rifles are zero's dead on at 100, but I'll hunt them with .5 mil of elevation cranked in. Used to be all of them were that way, but I do it a little different with my LRHS scopes. I set the 0 on the turret .4 or .5 high at 100 as a hunting zero, then set the zero stop a below that, dead on at 100 yards.

Empirical results rule!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I keep the majority of mine dead nuts on at 100 too. Guess I ain't worth a salt either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I zero at 100 as well.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Before all this modern chit came along. I always took a regular duplex scope. Sighted my rifles anywhere from 3 to 6 inches high at 100. Depending on the cal. And what zero I was looking for. Than would check the mid ranges. And would hold over or under according to ballistic calculation. Than I started to cheat with ballistic radicals because they were cheaper than a good spinner. Now when I figure I would get a spinner and sight dead on at 100. And hold over out to 300ish. And spin based on the 100yd zero. Some one comes along explaining that I am all fugged up. And should keep stretching the barrel buy zeroing high at 100. What the fugg???

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
What I was getting at is that having a MBPR zero shouldn�t matter with this drill, as it�s more of a speed drill. Which is great.

This is my intention on THIS drill, not to practice holding somewhere other than the middle. That'll be the next one I have in mind.

Most of my rifles are zero's dead on at 100, but I'll hunt them with .5 mil of elevation cranked in. Used to be all of them were that way, but I do it a little different with my LRHS scopes. I set the 0 on the turret .4 or .5 high at 100 as a hunting zero, then set the zero stop a below that, dead on at 100 yards.

That's a great way to set up.

I absolutely stand by what I said about sighting in and hunting with a dead on at 100 sight in for an all around rifle. For those who don't see shots over a couple hundred yards, it's fine. But for everyone else, it can and will get a guy in trouble when something huge steps out a bit further out, and there's no time to use an LRF.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Its just what I like, and is second nature to me, I dont need to dial in to make a 300 yard shot from a 100 yard zero, but will if i have time.

Utilizing your rifles MPBR along with a turret aint a bad way to fly, it just aint for me..It also seems most of the misses I see, are because they miss high, MPBR works out nice on paper, so long as the shooter remembers it in the field..I just keep it simple.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It ain't magic. If you hunt the tundra spin a few before walking out. If you hunt a lot of areas I've hunted/hunt. One hour I might be dealing with 60 yard shots in the brush, an hour later 300 yard+.

Not a fan of threading a needle with 3" high.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Also start with the scope on the lowest power if a variable for each stage.

Why?

John

More of a challenge with a SFP reticle scope and any "Christmas tree" or any other guessing type reticle I'd imagine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not a fan of the 3" high way of things, either. If I run into a coyote while deer hunting the midrange trajectory might just put one over it's back. There's a fine line of where to zero, which of course depends on BC, velocity, and all that jazz.

Having an inch or two to work with at 100 is the sweet spot, for me. In most reasonably flat shooting rounds it will give 300 yards of no thought, no LRF needed, pull the trigger to dead animal goodness.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
With a regular old scope and duplex hairs. You aren't shooting past three hundred fifty either??

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Possibly. One just needs to learn how one's trajectory matches up with the reticle. There are several fellows on here who are quite adept at using a regular old duplex out to quite a bit over 350 yards. I think my furthest kill with a standard duplex was on a previously wounded (by another fellow) pronghorn at just over 400 yards with a Leupold 8x on a 223. I had been shooting prairie dogs all summer with the rifle, and knew the trajectory like the back of my willie.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Agree. That was what I was trying to say. I can't remember now as I have been cheating with the dots, and ballistic reticles. But on the cheat index card I use to keep in my hat. If I remember their were spots +13" with 500 zero. With pretty flat shooters.

Take care, Willie

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I'm not a fan of the 3" high way of things, either. If I run into a coyote while deer hunting the midrange trajectory might just put one over it's back. There's a fine line of where to zero, which of course depends on BC, velocity, and all that jazz.

Having an inch or two to work with at 100 is the sweet spot, for me. In most reasonably flat shooting rounds it will give 300 yards of no thought, no LRF needed, pull the trigger to dead animal goodness.

Back in the good old days when I owned one rifle and shot one load, I could do pretty darn well with a duplex reticle in a Weaver V7.

I shot an '06 with a 165 gr ballistic tip over 60 gr of H4831. And I shot it at everything, especially bunches of ground squirrels all summer.

The zero was 300 and there was a drop chart on the stock. It just ain't that tough to hold five or six inches under a ground squirrel to connect at midrange trajectory.

I can not count how many grouse I killed by putting the cross hair right where the neck meets the shoulder. It would cut the head off cleaner than a whistle.

Once I got out past 400, I used the taper of the bottom post. Today I do not remember exactly what the subtension of the fine wire was. But by using the point of the bottom cross wire with hold over/under I could reliably kill rocks out a bit past 600 yds.

We had no rangefinders. When shooting for fun, that is how we honed our range estimation skills. We would guess a range to a rock, and then shoot it. High or low......told us how far off our estimate was.

BDC reticles are nice toys. But we killed a lot of game before they came into existence. And turrets simply have not been reliable enough to trust for very long.

I am pretty sure our sniper units made it through 'Nam with neither.

I had one of the first Redfield Accutrac scopes to hit the market and also a Bushnell BDC back about 1980. Neither would track well enough for reliable use on a varmint rifle. And I demand more from a game rifle than I do a varmint rifle, because the shot matters more.

So I learned to do all I need to with a duplex. It will still do the job if a guy is dedicated enough to learn it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thank you. You are probably aware of the saying beware of the guy who shoots one gun also. grin grin grin

Take care, Willie

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.