Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Looks Great Scotty! Can't wait to see the range reports.

BSA I have been using Marine Tex for about 10 years and it would take an act of God to get me to change. Just wish they made it in clear so I could use it on wood stocks.

I've been hooked on Devcon 10110 for a while now. I know a lot of guys swear by the marine tex for McMillan stocks. One thing about the devcon I notice is it is very runny. I've glass bedded with JB weld and accraglass and believe it or not, I like the consistency of the JB weld better than just about anything. However, I don't believe it to be as strong as the Devcon. I've actually been tempted to try some splash zone (industrial marine grade) we have at work for repairing holes in ship hulls underwater grin.... That stuff seems to be about as bullet proof of an epoxy as you can get grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA, if you like JB Weld, you'll find the same consistency with Marine Tex. Just from this one use, I am thinking it'll get used a bunch more. It was very easy to mix, work with and clean up.

I just washed my hands with soap and water, and it takes off the wet Marine Tex without problems. Much more better'er than AcraGel or Devcon.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the sounds of that. Where's the best place to find it???

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I got mine from Brownells, along with a set of Power Bedding Studs. Great addition to my kit.

I believe I will have enough in this kit to do quite a few rifles and Pat says the stuff lasts a long time on the shelf which AcraGel doe not in my experience. Pretty reasonable in cost as well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks, I'll be giving it a try for sure..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Marine Tex is available at virtually any ships chandler.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Thanks BSA. Came out decent. Had to open up the barrel channel some to make sure it floated correctly, seems like McMillan did their inletting for the barrel change with an axe...

The stock is good though. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it though. It is my favorite rifle, hoping this stock does it proud.

I love the wood on your 300.. That McMillan should be very nice though for wet weather. At least that is what I am betting on!

Yeah, if you are going to be down here again this year I hope we don't get as much rain as we did last year! I think your McMillan will be just the ticket if we do get it though. I do like the wood on my 300 as well, but the blue swirly will be better in wet weather. I also wanted to thank oregon45 for giving me such a great deal on his blue swirly. He knew I was eyeballing it a long time ago because everytime he posted a pic of his rifle, I'd comment on it. Seems like I've been bedding a rifle a week around here and this one is next on the list. I'm also running low on Devcon, so I may have to buy some marine tex and try it on the next one. Wish me luck guys grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Well, last weekend I was finally able to get the new McMillan put on my Pre 64 Alaskan. I used Marine Tex in order to do the bedding. Sorry for the crappy pictures, it has been raining around here (finally).

Love the stock, Marine Tex works REALLY well, easy to use and seems to lay down very nicely. Need to detail clean the metal, but overall, I am very happy. Bedded the receiver and a few inches in front of the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Scotty, that turned out awesome!! I like the camo with the red pad. Very classy looking!!!

BSA - I'm also liking the blue! Very cool, and different.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

Scotty, that turned out awesome!! I like the camo with the red pad. Very classy looking!!!

BSA - I'm also liking the blue! Very cool, and different.

Eric

I'm hoping you guys aren't thinking it would look more fitting on a 270 laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA - It's okay to be "different"... We all support you, buddy. lol. wink

Eric

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. Well, here is what it looks like:

[Linked Image]

It's sitting in Devcon 10110 right now. That's why the barrel has the electrical tape on it: Centers the barrel in the channel. This one was easy. Just took a bit off of the pad the front action screw goes thru to lower the action down into the stock so the barrel and receiver is in the stock where it should be. I forgive you McMillan. I've never not had to dremel a Mcmillan before glass bedding. I also had to dremel a little from one side of the tang to get the barrel more centered. Other than that, it went pretty good. Here it is from a different angle and in the rifle rest. I'll pull the action out of the stock tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work:

[Linked Image]

This rifle has always been a shooter and it will still shoot awesome in this swirly micky stock. However, now I don't have to worry about banging the nice wood around.

2008 Limited edition 300WSM
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42
Talley lows
blue/white swirl Hunters Compact Mcmillan
Free floated the barrel and glass bedded the recoil lug and tang with Devcon 10110
Ernie the gunsmith trigger sprig for the MOA trigger: 2 3/8 pound pull wt.
Stainless Extreme Weather fluted barrel

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looking good! Glad to see that stock on a 300 WSM again.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter would love that stock she loves blue and white... I need to get one for my wife's 280... I need to find a model 70 for my daughter as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Thanks my friend. It was like the perfect match as far as I'm concerned. I really like it...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Thanks my friend. It was like the perfect match as far as I'm concerned. I really like it...

Hey your Minnie me slavek is on the prowl

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. I thought you and him were the same person, just different screen names laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol here I thought you and TAK were one in the same too weird

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 79S
My daughter would love that stock she loves blue and white... I need to get one for my wife's 280... I need to find a model 70 for my daughter as well.

The recipe for that stock is 60/40 light blue and white.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lookin' good!!! smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Lookin' good!!! smile

Yeah, but does she shoot? grin .. Eric, a friend of mine sat down to shoot this rifle a few months ago and in the sitting position, shot a 3/4" 3 shot group sick.. He's an aerospace engineer and begged me to sell this thing to him after firing it. He also made me shoot that load over his chrono because he thought it would show some good numbers. I think the SD was 9 or something like that. His chrono is way fancier than mine and it was an eye opener. I'm thinking this thing will still shoot good with this micky wink

BSA MAGA
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.