Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
It amuses me that people that pay for x number of issues with their subscription feel entitled to x+2. Not to mention that their subscription is for Magazines with a completely different name.

Very True, Don owns Wolfe Publishing and he, and everyone on their staff, make their living by selling magazines and books. It is hard to make a living giving things away.

The online stuff is fairly new to them and they are trying to learn.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Big Bore issue apparently didn't make it through the extended pipeline required to reach our local news stands. I phoned Wolfe, and the nice lady took my cc# and said that a print copy would be mailed directly.

The gratification isn't electronically instantaneous. I am looking forward to reading it, nevertheless.

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having hard copies of magazine that I could hold in my hands and underline or circle appealing items or thoughts is more appealing to me than the instant gratification of receiving the same information online.

I worked long and hard to convince the powers that be that there was enough interest in Big Bore rifle besides lever actions. those of you who like it and would like to see more on big bores, African rifles, or even deer rifles need to let Don, Dave and Lee hear from you. They do listen.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One whose only exposure to rifles are the Wolfe magazines would not doubt be shocked to learn that big bores exist in forms other than lever guns. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
Having hard copies of magazine that I could hold in my hands and underline or circle appealing items or thoughts is more appealing to me than the instant gratification of receiving the same information online.

I worked long and hard to convince the powers that be that there was enough interest in Big Bore rifle besides lever actions. those of you who like it and would like to see more on big bores, African rifles, or even deer rifles need to let Don, Dave and Lee hear from you. They do listen.

Maybe 'Wilderness Rifles' would be a good title for a special edition in which I'd be rabidly interested. Maybe you'd be just the editor for it, about those rifles regardless of bore that should be rather portable and MUST work no matter what - maybe with only the most basic care.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A credit card in hand and an e-mail address for the link to be sent to and they will e-mail you a link to their website where you enter the provided user name and password, then download like every other digital edition and save to your computer or backup drive as a PDF.

I don't understand a business that sells widgets making a special highly desirable widget and not offering it first to their faithful widget purchasers but hey I was a Political Science major...

Again, It wasn't Kendra's fault and she will help you get a magazine apparently or a digital edition, so be nice! It's just a magazine not life or death.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It amuses me that people that pay for x number of issues with their subscription feel entitled to x+2. Not to mention that their subscription is for Magazines with a completely different name.

Don't have a problem paying for it, told Don that. What I don't understand is why I have to make a phone calls to get the keys to the secret room where it's held.

Have the [bleep] magazine for sale on the website. Hell, I can get a magazine from 5 years ago on their website but I can't purchase one that came out 3 weeks ago?

It's obvious they wanted to keep it 'hidden' on their site to not piss off the subscribers. Again, I don't have a problem paying for the 'special' edition, just make the frigging thing available on your site.

Not difficult.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Don't have a problem paying for it, told Don that. What I don't understand is why I have to make a phone calls to get the keys to the secret room where it's held.

Have the [bleep] magazine for sale on the website. Hell, I can get a magazine from 5 years ago on their website but I can't purchase one that came out 3 weeks ago?

It's obvious they wanted to keep it 'hidden' on their site to not piss off the subscribers. Again, I don't have a problem paying for the 'special' edition, just make the frigging thing available on your site.

Not difficult.

Give your head a shake and quit your whining. It is not the first extra edition they have done. Keeping it hidden? That's even a bit rich for you isn't it?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

Phil
You are completely correct.
When I was an editor I recall being approached by readers who would never hunt big or dangerous game but loved to own, handload and use big bore rifles.

They commonly likened it to car magazines that featured expensive or powerful machinery, unlikely to own, but hugely interesting to read.

There is a massive untapped market for big bores and Keith had a mortgage on it, especially after African Rifles and Cartridges came out in 1948 with very little around after that.
A big bore rifle stops the range. People are fascinated. I have seen it many times when reviewing larger caliber rifles on a public range. For me, it is fact.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To the point of Special Editions, somebody tell me what the last Special Edition Handloader or whichever magazine it was I believe JB mentioned it was Spring time, would have been or what month/year the lever action one was so I can check my 40+ archived editions to see if I have it, my memory is sketchy.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S.
I think we all can agree they now know the masses/subscribers aren't impressed with the way they handled things and hopefully the next go around will be better. I'm not giving up on them I like the writers too much for that.

NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just a quick scan found a Pistol, 7mm, lever guns, Mauser, Special editions in the archives, can tell by consecutive months, Usually Sept, Oct, Nov,

Will check further after Dr's visit today.

Fill me in if any others guys!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't want it, wouldn't read it, couldn't care less. My affection for guns magazines generally is on the wane, especially when I usually know more than the articles discuss. I find mistakes, old wives tales and legends, incomplete information and the same old format. The last Rifle Magazine special edition was the Lever Action issue, it never even made it to the stack of reading material in the porcelain library. Nothing against magazines, I know the younger shooter probably learns from them, but after reading them since the late 1950's, their glitz and glitter is wearing old. That and the soy based ink that rubs off on my hands making me think I bruised myself.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/02/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly understand your problem and imagine that when I get so old that I bruise easily and can't learn anything because short term memory loss I will probably quit too. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, when the short term memory loss kicks in, you can amuse yourself by reading the same thing over again a few times until your brain finally remembers that you read it.

This happens to me a lot here on the Campfire...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hmm doing a little day off research and it appears I missed last years October Special Edition AR Rifle Magazine too!

Guess that's when they started not including them and not informing us!

I have requested to purchase it online in the same manner as this Big Bore Edition. Hope it is indeed available.

Mike, I'm not angry, just want a full archive.

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Rifle's Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges"
"Rifle's Varmint Rifles and Cartridges"

as a Long-time subscriber, yes I do feel shortchanged in not even being offered the opportunity to order the "+2" Special Editions.
Preferably in the media format of my subscription.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Apparently for RIFLE it has been the October extra edition and in 2013 it quit being provided for the same subscription cost, which I don't mind, but I would like to have been told how to get it for the additional fee!

Truthfully I just wish they would raise the overall price to what they need and keep it on track I'm trying to keep an archive going here! Now I'm still one shy because I missed the 2013 AR Rifle edition.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Very True, Don owns Wolfe Publishing and he, and everyone on their staff, make their living by selling magazines and books. It is hard to make a living giving things away.

The online stuff is fairly new to them and they are trying to learn.

Yes, truly so... And THEY ARE FAILING MISERABLY with their attempts to learn about and adapt to the online, digital age. They haven't got a clue, IMHO.

And, yes, I am a digital subscriber to their magazines.

-Bob F.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 338Rules

"Rifle's Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges"
"Rifle's Varmint Rifles and Cartridges"

as a Long-time subscriber, yes I do feel shortchanged in not even being offered the opportunity to order the "+2" Special Editions.
Preferably in the media format of my subscription.

And yet I could have sworn you subscribe to:

"Rifle's Handloader"
"Rifle's Successful Hunter"
"Rifle's Rifle"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just picked up a copy at our Walmart. It quick scan shows it to be a lot of wheat and very little chaff. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,248
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.