Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
And I'd like to add your morning shower thoughts are very different than my morning shower thoughts.

Travis

laugh laugh

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the question remains, will the pelts be worth enough this winter for ya to really care if there's sewing required or not?
All you .17 whores need to check in to a .17/204. THAT is the CAT's MEOW. whistle

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TRnCO
the question remains, will the pelts be worth enough this winter for ya to really care if there's sewing required or not?
All you .17 whores need to check in to a .17/204. THAT is the CAT's MEOW. whistle

I'm a 17 tactical whore but only because I found a smith close that already had the reamer or I would be running a 17-204

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

From everything I've heard and read, the Cat frenzy's tapering off but Coyote and Fox should hold for awhile.

If I still lived in the high desert I would have built one a long time ago but between the terrain here limiting shot distances, and the fact that I seldom hunt anything but Cats anymore, my old 17Rem does everything I need.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Model 7, 221 Fireball is funner!

laugh

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For 250 yards and less i think huntsman22 nailed it with the 17 hornet. With greater distance beyond 250 yards 17 fireball or 17 rem for the longer distance opportunities is where I am leaning.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Of course I nailed it. Didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pfffft!
Like you've ever killed something.....
GOY.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But, I have posed my whoregnat with some roadkill a time or two..... dats gotta count for something

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
For 250 yards and less i think huntsman22 nailed it with the 17 hornet. With greater distance beyond 250 yards 17 fireball or 17 rem for the longer distance opportunities is where I am leaning.

The .17 Rem handles all ranges beautifully.

It is the one, the only.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc
Model 7, 221 Fireball is funner!

laugh

If you're going to shoot any Fireball based round it should be a 17 built on a Mini Mauser type action with single stack magazine so the dam thing'll feed properly. wink

Kills everything you point it at with Zero fur damage and looks good doing it. grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kidding aside though, I still say the closest thing to a one size fits all "fur friendly" round is a 17Rem.
Yea, there's high BC rounds for the guys shooting long distances on the windy prairie's and dainty little cartridges that are ideal for thin skinned Fox shot at night but for 99% of predator hunting, anyone wanting to sell fur will be well served with a 17Rem.
JMO

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/30/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave

The .17 Rem handles all ranges beautifully.

It is the one, the only.

Travis

I choose not to throw all my eggs in that 17 Rem basket as I enjoy shooting, more than cleaning rifles:) To my way of thinking way more powder than most task really require.

To each his own as I know many fur hunters have done well with there 17 Remington's for a lota years.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 09/30/14.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I choose not to throw all my eggs in that 17 Rem basket as I enjoy shooting, more than cleaning rifles:) To my way of thinking way more powder than most task really require.

To each his own as I know many fur hunters have done well with there 17 Remington's for a lota years.

I drank a little of that koolaid for a while, believing that a 17 had to be cleaned thoroughly and often. My first 17 got used a lot on ground squirrels and the first couple trips I cleaned it religiously every 50 shots, because, well everybody know the 17 just fouls terribly. After a couple long weekends of ground squirrel shooting that seemed like more gun cleaning than shooting, I decided to try letting it go to see what kind of groups it shot after a day of shooting with no cleaning. Two hundred and fifty rounds later it was still shooting tiny little groups. After that I went to cleaning it like I did my other varmint rifles, which is honestly, infrequently. In a fur season, even one with a lot of success, most of us would never shoot a 17 enough to where fouling is an issue, unless you happened to get a lemon of a barrel. And that could happen in any caliber.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart

I drank a little of that koolaid for a while, believing that a 17 had to be cleaned thoroughly and often. My first 17 got used a lot on ground squirrels and the first couple trips I cleaned it religiously every 50 shots, because, well everybody know the 17 just fouls terribly. After a couple long weekends of ground squirrel shooting that seemed like more gun cleaning than shooting, I decided to try letting it go to see what kind of groups it shot after a day of shooting with no cleaning. Two hundred and fifty rounds later it was still shooting tiny little groups. After that I went to cleaning it like I did my other varmint rifles, which is honestly, infrequently. In a fur season, even one with a lot of success, most of us would never shoot a 17 enough to where fouling is an issue, unless you happened to get a lemon of a barrel. And that could happen in any caliber.

This ^^^^
I clean my guns once a year unless I'm shooting colony varmints or go to the range. Then I clean em when I get home.

I'd have to buy ALLOT of new stretchers if I killed enough fur to have to clean my guns as often as some would tell us that the 17Rem requires.

Cool Aid indeed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Clean it? No thanks.

The .17 Rem is a laser out out to the three and easy on fur all the way down to 10 yards. It hath no peer. So it is written, so it shall be built.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
20 PPC or 20 BR

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Predictably, my vote is for the .221 Fireball. But you already knew that. 40 gr Nosler ballistic tips at 3000 fps.

LOL
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Build a 17rem AR and really throw a wrench into a coyotes day. I call several at once enough times a year that I built mine and don't give up a coyote easily.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys sound like John-Henry at coyote gods, lol. Those guys loved them some 17 Rem, for good reason. I want to buy/build one sometime soon. I've had decent luck with the .22s, but also some bad holes. Don't shoot them in the shoulder at 25 yds with b tips.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.