Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ill be using a barnett vengeance crossbow this weekend. Ive done plenty of hunting with a muzzleloader and rifle and am wanting to get in to bow hunting. I planned on buying a new bowtech compund bow this summer but didn't get a chance to. I am going to bass pro friday morning and want to know what is a good brand of arrows and broadheads for a crossbow to buy. All help appreciated. thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You want the crossbow that fits you the best.

Something that shoots 300-350fps

Any good crossbow bolt and broadhead (Muzzy 100 gr.,4 blade) for instance, will get the job done, just make sure whatever you select reaches the minimum arrow weight established by the manufacturer.

The most important thing is keep the shooting distance reasonable, crossbows are noisy.

Make sure everything is sighted in properly...

[Linked Image]

This was the first deer my dad killed with an X-bow. Not a fancy bow, a Parker shooting around 285-300fps. He was using Parker X-bow arrows with the Muzzy 100gr 4 blades. Shot was 25-30 yards broadside. Bolt zipped thru that deer, including ribs, and kept going, never found the bolt.

Put the bolt in the vitals and you'll do well...

Last edited by Deerwhacker444; 10/01/14. Reason: mis-read post...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for what its worth hunting with a crossbow is more like hunting with a handicapped rifle than bowhunting....most that i know that have seriously tried both prefer a normal compound bow because a crossbow is clumsy to use in comparison....

but if you like crossbows by all means have fun, ive always thought they were neat from a phuggin around with perspective but for hunting either a rifle or a compound bow have more pluses geared towards them than the crossbow....atleast to me...but then again unless your handicapped you cant use a crossbow during Montana's bow season and there is no dedicated crossbow season....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What exactly do you mean when you say bolt. (Probably a dumb question)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bolt=arrow.....with a bow its an arrow, with a crossbow its a bolt....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"bolt" is a crossbow's arrow. Why they are not called arrows? Don't know.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
"bolt" is a crossbow's arrow. Why they are not called arrows? Don't know.

i believe it goes back to their first use but not sure....do know ive run across 'bolt' in some fairly old text reprints so im pretty sure its not a new thing....plus it seems that its only fairly recently that crossbow bolts have more than superficially resembled arrows.....crossbows have always seemed to shoot a shorter more thickly constructed projectile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When you talk about the minimum arrow weight. You are talking about what the bows says it'a minimum arrow weight you should be using? I didn't know the weight if the arrow mattered! Thanks for the heads up!

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Not sure about your area, up here there are regulations regarding minimum arrow weight for hunting. The bow will also have minimum safe specs. Make sure your getting the right length too.

As for broadheads, there's a ton of good ones out there but whatever you choose, make sure they are hitting where your aiming, they may not be hitting with your field points. Slick Tricks are very popular, Muzzy still has a good following too and there's really few bad choices as long as they fly good. Bolts I really couldn't say, when I was shooting the xbow it was still mostly Easton aluminums. I've shot nothing but carbons in the compound for years now, so i don't know if xbows have also followed suit.

Range is critical, so don't forget your range finder. Pay attention to your limbs and how much clearance you have. Trust me, you do not want a limb hitting a tree when you fire!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For one thing, I would never go buy a crossbow Friday and hunt with it on Saturday..... you owe it to game to practice, zero in etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practice with your bolt/broadhead combo as they may fly very different than your practice bolts. Muzzy's are good and if you can shoot carbons as the fly flatter and penetrate better in my father's crossbow. Tenpoint has great customer service.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rost495
For one thing, I would never go buy a crossbow Friday and hunt with it on Saturday..... you owe it to game to practice, zero in etc....

Yeah...you're not even CLOSE to being " hunting ready". Archery is not a grab and go sport to take up in one weekend. Stick with your rifle...

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I remember when I worked in a bow shop, selling and setting up so many compounds for first time �bow hunters� and the season opening the next morning.

Then there were the ones carrying in their new-in-box bows from the local discount store, asking for help.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 7magking
Ill be using a barnett vengeance crossbow this weekend. Ive done plenty of hunting with a muzzleloader and rifle and am wanting to get in to bow hunting. I planned on buying a new bowtech compund bow this summer but didn't get a chance to. I am going to bass pro friday morning and want to know what is a good brand of arrows and broadheads for a crossbow to buy. All help appreciated. thanks

My advice is to not go hunting this weekend.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
One thing is for sure, whatever you choose, absolutely make sure you keep your fingers, thumbs, toes, hair, and any other body part below and behind the string. I ate breakfast yesterday with a guy who had his thumb nearly severed by a crossbow. It was his first crossbow, and he was holding it like he did his rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This has got to be a put on.

Stand by for a "i shot it in the liver i think, tracked it for 15 minutes, bushes got thick, had to be a pizza hut to clock in so i said fuggit"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Put in the time to be confident in a clean, quick kill.

In other words, practice, practice, practice!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cross bow = "bow" hunting? ...never looked at that way....and I ain't going to.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by slumlord

Stand by for a "i shot it in the liver i think, tracked it for 15 minutes, bushes got thick, had to be a pizza hut to clock in so i said fuggit"

That's what I was thinking

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord

"But, But I went back and found her today, smell was really strong when I got out of the truck, I must have walked by here at least 20 times. I hate to lose one but hell I do it so much it doesn't even affect me. I'm just flinging them arrows at anything that moves. Had to get to work, somebody has to scrub the Shiit off the walls at the Sonic"

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (5sdad, Akhutr, 673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,866
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.