Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I get a whole lot of trail cam pics of Black Bear on the farm I hunt, but in the last 5 years, I have only seen 2 during shooting light. I was able to kill one of them. We do not use hounds on the farm, but they are a very popular way of hunting Bears in Eastern NC with a crazy high success rate. I can see why!

For the first time in a looong time, we can bait for bears for the first week of the season (no processed baits, just natural bait like corn), but I don't see how that's going to get em out during shooting light.

Besides hunting along the edge of their bedding areas, any tips to up my odds?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunt with several clubs in Beaufort, Martin, Bertie county NC. I would say it depends on the property and how much pressure you have on the property and how close you are to their bedding areas. Yes they are less likely to appear in the open fields during daylight.Some of the small farms have no daytime activity while the large timber tracts seem to have activity very early or late in the day. Bears like it thick and wet. Being able to use unaltered bait to "attract" will certainly help create a feeding pattern. You still are not permitted to harvest them over the bait. You should start your stations now and use the cameras to figure out what paths they are using to figure out where they are bedding. We hunt the thick timber in the afternoon to catch them moving to and from. I don't like open fields unless its a really remote farm.

Last edited by JBO69; 10/03/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is quite common to see black bears out during daylight hours on the ranch where I hunt elk in Colorado. As far as I know, only two have been taken in the fifteen years that I have hunted there--both taken with a bow by a son of the owners. He has put out game cameras at several of the dirt tanks and gets mostly daytime pictures of bears coming to water.

Around here, no one hunts them that I know of. I see them regularly when I hunt in the mountains, but only rarely when I hunt the foothills. When we lived up the valley in a more remote area, we occasionally saw them near the ranch headquarters during the day, or crossing between the eastern and western mountain ranges.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen many bears out in daylight.

They are a lot like deer in their movements, but there are far fewer of them so you won't cross paths with them as often.

They also cover larger territories, so you won't see them in the same places as you do with deer.

Baiting may help some, but I'd be surprised unless you can dump a truckload to keep them coming back

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You sir once again know nothing about what you speak . Bear are like deer and water is like gas.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And baiting will never work unless crazy you have a truck load of bait . You dream this crap up in your apartment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bears are not particularly nocturnal where I hunt them in BC and sometime going along with family in WA State. There is some hunting where we go but not enough that the bears feel pressure. We see them mostly from midday on with the majority in late afternoon and evening. Bears in BC are like teen age boys: sleep late and eat all of the time. I haven't seen many at night and only recall seeing one at dawn. We see them fairly often in farm fields but never hunted farming areas.

I have set up within a few hundred yards of a guide's bait barrel stand in Saskatchewan and successfully called bears, after the guide was done for the season.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love how every thread on this forum turns into an argument.

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We see a lot of bear in the daylight.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I used a trail cam this year and bears came in about 10 pm until season opened then vanished.
I did have a small bear in my bird feeder from 9am - 9:30am in my back yard.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No argument but if you don't know the first thing about a subject don't contribute. Just read and learn, bear have fur and walk on all fours after that the similarities stop saying crap like deer are a lot like bear is just stupid and shows complete lack of knowledge of the subject. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
We see them mostly from midday on with the majority in late afternoon and evening. Bears in BC are like teen age boys: sleep late and eat all of the time. I haven't seen many at night and only recall seeing one at dawn.
I will second this. I can't remember seeing but one bear before noon, and that one was female with three cubs in tow (about 11:00 AM). Virtually all the rest were afternoon sightings, with late afternoon being more common than earlier.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fredIII
You sir once again know nothing about what you speak . Bear are like deer and water is like gas.

LOL
Tell someone who cares
I happen to live in the area beng discussed.

Last edited by Snyper; 10/04/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No argument but if you don't know the first thing about a subject don't contribute. Just read and learn, bear have fur and walk on all fours after that the similarities stop saying crap like deer are a lot like bear is just stupid and shows complete lack of knowledge of the subject. cool

What are you "contributing"?
All I see is you trolling

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_6/Ayres_Chow_Graber_Vol_6.pdf

Investigations of black bear activity patterns, how- ever, have reported that black bears in areas not associated with human activities are primarily diurnal or crepuscular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular

The word crepuscular is derived from the Latin crepusculum, meaning "twilight".[1] Its sense accordingly differs from diurnal and nocturnal behavior, which respectively peak during hours of daylight and dark. The distinction is not absolute however, because crepuscular animals may also be active on a bright moonlit night or on a dull day.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/fish-wildlife-plants/mammals/white-tailed-deer-about.html

White-tailed deer are crepuscular, meaning that they are most active at dawn and dusk. Deer may also be active at other times of the day, especially during the breeding season in late fall.

Maybe you should follow your own advice:
if you don't know the first thing about a subject don't contribute

Last edited by Snyper; 10/04/14.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just pointing out you are a [bleep] idiot that's all. Post what you want but bear and deer are not even close to alike. I have bear hunted for a long time and never in all the years did I think man bear and deer are a lot alike. Not trolling just pointing out you are clueless. Bear can and have been baited very successfully with a five gallon bucket of bait every four to five days (no truck load needed). How many bear have you killed or even seen in the wild not counting zoos.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Snyper

LOL
Tell someone who cares
I happen to live in the area beng discussed.

So if you live in an are that makes your BS right. I am very aware of what nocturnal is thanks for the links hope you read and learned something. You must care you took the time to read up and try to back your bs up did not work but you tried little man.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"I happen to live in the area beng discussed."

seeing bears while driving in your car in summer is one thing. Targeting them during limited hunting season on your property and being legally successful is something different.
The big bears in the areas we hunt are very timid,smart, shy or whatever term you wanta use. It aint hard to kill a small bear. Heres a few from the past two years.

508lbs

503lbs

Last edited by JBO69; 10/04/14.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nice those are good ones. they shut our hounds down about ten years ago wish we still could chase was a lot of fun. your right I have been after a good bear in my area for two years but he is not stupid. Keeps his head low seen him a couple of time to far to shoot with the wind conditions that were present. I will get him my best was 350 locker hung no pics on hand to show .

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The 500+ did they tree or shot on the ground just wondering all the big ones we got never tree they would just wear out or corner. Also did the one on the red truck end gate make the book it's had to its a real real nice bear you guys have your dogs dialed in well. What score if you had it measured ?

Last edited by fredIII; 10/04/14.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.