Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would definitely pick the 123gr Scenar.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by banjomule
Recommend a 6.5 antelope bullet for a quick kill?

It depends on your definition of "quick kill." My definition means the animal drops on the spot (DRT). DRT is the result of CNS shot placement, and the only requirement of the bullet is sufficient penetration. I use 140gr soft point bullets in my 6.5x55 and have never been disappointed as long as the shot is placed correctly. I used to shoot for the ribcage, and still do sometimes, but it almost never results in DRT performance. IME, deer shot in the ribcage typically run 100-300 yards regardless of cartridge or bullet choice.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Recommend a 6.5 antelope bullet for a quick kill?

It depends on your definition of "quick kill." My definition means the animal drops on the spot (DRT). DRT is the result of CNS shot placement, and the only requirement of the bullet is sufficient penetration. I use 140gr soft point bullets in my 6.5x55 and have never been disappointed as long as the shot is placed correctly. I used to shoot for the ribcage, and still do sometimes, but it almost never results in DRT performance. IME, deer shot in the ribcage typically run 100-300 yards regardless of cartridge or bullet choice.

Well put, and those that dont run some distance, are generally shot in the ribcage but also close enough that shock or frags get the CNS, if not breaking it, stunning it enough that the animal bleeds out before it comes back to, so to speak....

DRT is reliable 100% ONLY by shot placement to CNS, not to major bones...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Last two antelope I shot fell to a single shot each from my Swede and the 120 grain ballistic tip at ranges of 390 and 230 yards. Both animals fell at the spot they were standing when I shot them. The 125 grain partition is even more accurate in that rifle but I use that on larger animals.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...... 260 Remington using 140 g Nosler ballistic tips.....

My first shot with the 260 hit right through the ribs on the left side, took out the top of the heart, and left a quarter sized exit hole on the right side.....

.... The antelope took off at a run for about 50 yards and then slowed to a walk and stood there. Yes, the bullet performed well and yes, she was dead on her feet, but I want as quick and humane a kill as I can get so I put another in her. The second shot went in the chest, through the vitals again, and out the left side. Again, she just stood there and still didn't go down. By the time I walked up to her she had laid down and died, but i'd have prefered if it was quicker.

......i'm thinking there may be a better bullet out there to help me get the performance I want. Maybe a 100 g BT? Or a 120 Barnes? Berger?

Or was this just a super tough old doe? She is delecious though!

Reading this, I can't imagine any bullet doing any better a job than what that 140 BT did to that doe. smile

It took out the top of the heart,penetrated completely and exited leaving a quarter sized exit hole. What more can we ask?

IME it is not at all unusual for a heart shot ungulate of any size to take a bullet through the heart/lung region and make some tracks..many people see the same thing happen and think that if they just find the "perfect bullet", that it will always result in instant kills with soft tissue hits. IME there simply is no such thing... frown

Reasons are many but they include that the heart shot animal will frequently run off a bit until it runs out of blood and then collapse. While it's true that some designs will show a more pronounced "blasting effect", destroy more soft tissue, it still does not guarantee an instant lights out because the heart shot(and pure lung shot), while fatal,will not guarantee instant lights out every time...just does not work that way.

A bullet may only demonstrate that kind of explosive expansion when velocities are high;after velocity falls off, the blasting effect is diminished.In other words the bullet does not behave exactly the same at every distance, or velocity level so you don't always get the same effect.

I think one of the biggest wastes of time among hunters is the search for a bullet that always gives instant DRT's with soft tissue hits because they simply don't exist. I have shot a pretty fair number of antelope with everything from 7mm magnums down to the 257 Roberts and have had my share of DRT's....but I have had just as many or more run of a little ways after a lung or heart shot and it did not matter if the bullet was a tough,controlled expanding elk bullet, or a thinner jacketed C&C bullet that made a big mess of the chest cavity.

Sounds to me like you shot well and your rifle and load did a great job. I'd grab it again for the same chore when the time comes and stop worrying about DRT's. If you want those, do as Jeff (rost495) mentioned above. Your bullet did fine.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Banjomule: I have had excellent lethality on Antelope and excellent accuracy from my 260 Remington using the wonderful Nosler 100 grain Balistic Tips!
This bullet when placed through the heart/lungs will produce death, if not instantly, then in just 6 secondes or so.
Best of luck if you decide to try these.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by huntsman22
If ya want them DRT, don't rib shoot 'em......

What Huntsman said.

THIS. If you want them DRT, shot them in the CNS.

Let me give you some perspective. A few years back I shot a doe antelope with 150gr NBT out of my 7mm STW. AT 475 yards, I placed it behind the shoulder, in the ribs. The insides looked like a prairie dog hit with a 52gr Sierra Match King. There was damage to EVERY organ north of the diaphragm, heart, both lungs, spleen, liver, there were holes in the diaphragm, but not the guts, and no damage to the CNS. Despite all this damage, she still ran about 50 yards before dropping dead.

Bottom line is, if you don't hit the CNS, they are going to run. Period.

This is not the movies, it's hunting.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had long string of DRTs on whitetail & coyotes w Ruger Compact & factory 120 Accutips: heart/lung & High shoulder.

Til my son swapped it for another rifle!

Got NBT 100s & Scenar 108s waiting if the dang T3 CTR ever shows up!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Banjo,
I think almost anything labeled Hornady is generally good for quick kills on deer/antelope size game. Sometimes, if they get scared and full of adrenaline before the shot they are good to go 50 yards unless bone damage.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by huntsman22
If ya want them DRT, don't rib shoot 'em......

What Huntsman said.

THIS. If you want them DRT, shot them in the CNS.

Let me give you some perspective. A few years back I shot a doe antelope with 150gr NBT out of my 7mm STW. AT 475 yards, I placed it behind the shoulder, in the ribs. The insides looked like a prairie dog hit with a 52gr Sierra Match King. There was damage to EVERY organ north of the diaphragm, heart, both lungs, spleen, liver, there were holes in the diaphragm, but not the guts, and no damage to the CNS. Despite all this damage, she still ran about 50 yards before dropping dead.

Bottom line is, if you don't hit the CNS, they are going to run. Period.

This is not the movies, it's hunting.

Agreed....Seen this same kind of things many times.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been thinking about this.

It goes against the grain as I don't like anything much Weatherby, and it isn't .260, but for bang-flops on 'lopes or deer, that .257 WBY Mag would seem to be the ticket.

In the .6.5, use the .264 Win Mag for same. Insistent on the .260 Rem, anything that is the most accurate, with proper shot placement. they ain't going far, whatever.

And after all, those 'lopes live in wide-open country, like the caribou here.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never had one run after being shot with my .264 Win Mag and a 120 grain Ballistic Tip.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
And after all, those 'lopes live in wide-open country

They are where you find them........this'un was pretending to be an elk in the timber.

[Linked Image]

was packing the 264, hoping to whomp one on the north side of 500 yds. Wrong-o....Was in the bottom at 200 yds, so's I rib shot him with a 130 accubomb. DRT. Imagine DAT.....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Considering the reduced muzzle velocity produced by your handgun in 260 coupled with fairly extended range to target, I would forget the 140 ballistic tip in favor of the 100 gr BT on game the size of antelope.

That would let you get the impact velocity back up where the ballistic tip does the devastating internal damage we expect of it.

I would also consider the 120 gr ballistic tip or the 129 accubond long range.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also shoot a .260 Rem out of a handgun - 17" barreled TC Encore. I've used the 120 gr. BT, 130 gr. AB, and 129 gr. Hornady Interlock. They all give me great accuracy and all have resulted in dead deer. I'm not pushing them real hard - 2550 on the 130/129 and 2650 with the 120 gr. I'll be using the 120 gr. BT this fall. All the deer I've shot with my TC have run, but I shoot them behind the ribs and trust that the blood will leak out. I could give a rip less if they are DRT - if they are DRT, then I pulled my shot as I'm always shooting for heart/lung behind the shoulders. They all produced the exact results you describe - small entrance, destroyed insides, quarter-sized exit. Honestly, what more can you ask for from a bullet? Unless you shoot the CNS, which I simply don't advise, but I differ from others here. I can do it, but pretty much any CNS shot (other than a head shot, which is a different discussion) destroys meat that I prefer to eat. Rib shots wreck about 4 oz. of meat. Your shooting and terminal bullet performance sound absolutely ideal in my book.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh - and the only DRT kills I've have with my TC happened with a .454 Casull or .357 Maximum barreled pinned into the action when I lived in Iowa to meet the handgun restrictions. Three of them were chest cavity hits, two at under 50 yds, one at 162 yds (high chest cavity - had to have affected the spinal cord) They all looked like a sledge-hammer punched the rib cage. It's hard to beat a big, flat bullet from 0-175 yds.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,616
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.