-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Savage 99EG that I've had restored. It' always been a decent shooter but as of late it will throw the odd flier. During cleaning the barrel the other day I noticed some severe blotching marks inside the barrel. I took a brass cleaning jag and felt these marks and they appear as really rough patches. I never noticed them before and its almost like some sort of acid or something was left inside the barrel. I use Barnes CR10 to clean the copper out but always make sue the barrel is dry and then follow up with Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner. These are the same products I use on all of my other rifles and have never had a problem. I'm n sure if it's possible that the Barnes reacted with the blueing that may have been inside the barrel after it was blued or not?
Anyway, my question is: Is the sight ramp on the barrel integral with the barrel? I do not see a seam so I'm guessing it is. Is there anyway to rebarrel the rifle so the barrel looks like the original?
I know it's probably cheaper to just discard this rile and find another but I already have too much invested in this one to just walk way!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The front ramp is milled into the barrel on earlier 99s. Later rifles use a screw on ramp that looks close. That may be a solution. I certainly wouldn't scrap the rifle for an occasional flier. I'd also try to eliminate all other things first that may be causing you the problem.

PS - I'm sure there's someone on this forum willing to sell a barrel that will suit your needs.

Last edited by S99VG; 10/04/14.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one that is like new (300 Savage barrel).

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by S99VG
The front ramp is milled into the barrel on earlier 99s. Later rifles use a screw on ramp that looks close. That may be a solution. I certainly wouldn't scrap the rifle for an occasional flier. I'd also try to eliminate all other things first that may be causing you the problem.

PS - I'm sure there's someone on this forum willing to sell a barrel that will suit your needs.

The problem is I live in Canada, so shipping a barrel from the US is next to impossible.
I'll experiment a little more before throwing in the towel.

Last edited by deertroy1; 10/04/14.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a Utica .300 barrel but as you say - tough to get to Canada I believe.

You could try to smooth it out with some Flitz on a patch and work it carefully.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

You could try to smooth it out with some Flitz on a patch and work it carefully.

I was wondering about that but wasn't sure?

Last edited by deertroy1; 10/04/14.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wouldn't be afraid to do it. Have used Flitz on new barrel break ins with good results.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not so sure that a patch of minor roughness in the bore would cause an occasional flier. I would analyze my loading techniques/protocols and also check loaded rounds for concentricity. Heck, even changing seating depth a skinch can induce fliers to one degree or another.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm not so sure that a patch of minor roughness in the bore would cause an occasional flier. I would analyze my loading techniques/protocols and also check loaded rounds for concentricity. Heck, even changing seating depth a skinch can induce fliers to one degree or another.

Agreed. However, there are probably about six or seven rough spots. They very in size from a millimeter in diameter for the smallest to about two millimeters x ten millimeters long.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with gnoahh on this one. Eliminate everything else as a cause before you throw the baby out with the bath water. Put a box of factory ammo through it, that should tell you something about how your rifle reacts to consistent loads. Good old 150-grain Remington Core Loks should do the trick.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am with them too. I have shot some REALLY ugly barrels and had no real problems. The only bad .300 barrel I ever had was screwed up at the factory. I could not see it until I had it off, but there was a "Step" in the bore about 1/2 way up. I am kind of curious about the milled sight on the older guns. I always thought they were welded on. Anybody know for sure?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A rough patch in the barrel ? its there ALL the time. ODD flier ??
it's something else IMO

plab

Gotta love them 303's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at pre-war Model 70 Winchesters. They and some of the other Winchester models have front sight ramps that are milled onto the barrel too. It would be interesting knowing how they were made.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I spoke with my gunsmith. He said thy are actually soldered on? I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable 99 guy's ill clear the sight issue up shortly.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
they aint soldered on ,there made one piece ,barrel and sight.If one is soldered on ,the barrel has been shortened!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Machined.

Last edited by S99VG; 10/05/14.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Machined after welded?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Machined.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,353
Posts18,527,038
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.